Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Actually they do great in sand if you keep them watered. Many tomato farms on the DelMarVa Peninsula.
And South Jersey, The Garden State is said to have some of the sweetest maters around.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Heading to all after church to start the spring swap. Just ordered the Daystar airbag cradles, should have ordered them last week but forgot.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:06 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
Heading to all after church to start the spring swap. Just ordered the Daystar airbag cradles, should have ordered them last week but forgot.
Hey Buckeye, make sure you snap plenty of pics for the rest of us to see!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually they do great in sand if you keep them watered. Many tomato farms on the DelMarVa Peninsula.

Never would have thought, wow! I assume they need to be feed some sort of food with the water then?

Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mjoyce
Installed Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on the rear. I already have the same on the front but they are almost ready to be replaced. THE WORST HUNKS OF CRAP TIRES. Why? Let see. After the rears were replaced my Excursion wonders like crazy. To the point of dangerous to drive. Towing is all out bad. I hook a 32 foot camper with two slide outs and its basically white knuckle driving. With wind is flat out un-driveable. My friends in the truck could hardly talk due to the dangerous nature of a vehicle wondering all over the lane. When a normal SUV passes in the fast lane my camper and truck move 3-5 feet towards then away from the passing SUV. In short I cant say enough bad about these tires. What tires did I have before? Michelin LTX streets. In fact I have a decision to make. Either install some michelin LTX's on my original rims (16 inch that I store out back) and swap to those if I have to tow or just eat the cost of these crazy, crappy, expensive, toyos and install LTX's on my current 18inch EOM rims.
I am currently running these tires in a 325 50 22 and i can tell you they do chase road imperfections a bit. Of course, you are also going from a street almost perfectly smooth tire to a very agressive all terrain, any all terrain will chase imperfections a lot more than a street tire. Finally, you need to play with your inflation levels. Inflation is EVERYTHING in all tires, but especially when towing and towing with AT tires. I know I'm not "fixing" this problem, but it's usually not the tires...

AND to add a bit more...if you haven't upgraded your suspension from stock...on a vehicle this old...yikes.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:28 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts

Did some work, wont bore you with the pickup and hutch mod details. My truck, a 2001, had the small hitch hardware, replaced with the big stuff. As you can see from the pics, this truck spent its whole life in Michigan. It is crusty, no surprise. I need to replace the tank tub but dont have time to wait. I need the truck next week so the crappy tub goes back in. I'll be going to Florida (Gainesville area) on Memorial day weekend to pick up a car so I may seek out an option between here and there. Holiday weekend is the issue. I'll be going south from the Ann Arbor area, so if you know of a place, let me know. Just need the steel tub but will take the tank if I have to. Ok, time for hockey and a drink.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
There are two Excursion at a pick-n-pull near me. I believe they both have fuel tanks and all rear doors in them. Not near you or on the path to Florida, though.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Hey Buckeye, make sure you snap plenty of pics for the rest of us to see!
No pictures today. Spent 8 hours swapping the rear springs. The bolts through the shackles were seized to the inner metal of the bushings. Didn’t want to risk damaging the frame mounts so brute force wn the day. A six foot breaker bar and a two post lift was a little hairy a few times but the rear is complete aside from the air bag cradles.

The rear is soooooo smooth now. Big expansion joints on a bridge near home used to buck the EX something fierce. Feels like a sedan now. For sure a combination of the stock rear spring a block combo and the stuck bushing/bolt combo.

Edited to add, rear measures 27-1/4 on both sides from center to lip of wheel well. Was 28-1/2 with the old block setup. Anyone want a 5” lift!?!?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
There are two Excursion at a pick-n-pull near me. I believe they both have fuel tanks and all rear doors in them. Not near you or on the path to Florida, though.
Excursion owners can be motivated (read enabled) to make detours in search of non-rusty parts

Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Excursion in the Pick and Pulls around here are stripped FAST!

Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by unleashd
Excursion owners can be motivated (read enabled) to make detours in search of non-rusty parts
Excursion in the Pick and Pulls around here are stripped FAST!
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Well, after calling 4 places and them giving me the next guys number, Im waiting to hear back from a guy in the Knoxville area. My issues are time I have on this trip and the fact that its Memorial Day weekend. Im hoping they'll be there on Saturday so I can get it before we have a car in the trailer, just want to stay on the highway at that point.

This is not a huge deal, just thought I would try to get something while in the southern states to get a good part. If I have to get one shipped or have a buddy cut mine up and Frankenstien something back together, so be it. Come to think of it, thats not a bad idea.....hmmmmm, the extra features are for manufacturing and assembly so I just need the straps and protection.....hmmmm.....

So basically, cut everything away from the straps, after making a jig of course, and reproduce using patched together steel plates. I'll have to check clearances in vehicle but this could work......my welder will love this...lol

Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
New headlight bulbs on both sides. One was completely out and the other only had low beam. 😳

Thankful for an observant neighbor who let me know.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Well, after calling 4 places and them giving me the next guys number, Im waiting to hear back from a guy in the Knoxville area. My issues are time I have on this trip and the fact that its Memorial Day weekend. Im hoping they'll be there on Saturday so I can get it before we have a car in the trailer, just want to stay on the highway at that point.

This is not a huge deal, just thought I would try to get something while in the southern states to get a good part. If I have to get one shipped or have a buddy cut mine up and Frankenstien something back together, so be it. Come to think of it, thats not a bad idea.....hmmmmm, the extra features are for manufacturing and assembly so I just need the straps and protection.....hmmmm.....

So basically, cut everything away from the straps, after making a jig of course, and reproduce using patched together steel plates. I'll have to check clearances in vehicle but this could work......my welder will love this...lol

https://www.hollanderparts.com/

Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
and

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the sites.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?