Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Over the weekend I installed new Hawk LTS pads all around, had rear rotors cut, fronts are nearly new so left them with just a quick scuff job. Also installed 3 Russell Speed Bleeders, would have been all 4 but the factory bleeder snapped off in the right front caliper and that one also had sticky slide pins so a replacement Napa caliper and bracket were installed there. Unfortunately they had sleeved the bleeder hole (I guess due to damaged threads) and the bleeder used has smaller threads than my Speed Bleeders. Installed all 5 Russell braided hoses and did a full fluid flush and glad that I did, the old fluid was black and nasty. I also rotated the tire's after giving the wheels a good scrubbing, especially in insides, either they are getting heavier or i'm getting older.
Yesterday the Bride and I washed and waxed the TT, about an acre of surface area it seemed. Today, before heading off to work for a late shift I'm hoping to address an exhaust leak (doughnuts on header collectors), sand and polish my headlights and at least begin clay barring the EX. I still need to do an oil change, readjust all tire pressures, grease the few EX points and trailer suspension and hitch, wax the EX, clean the interior, put the roof bars on and load the kayaks before we leave for our trip on Sunday evening. Between now and then I have five 12 hour shifts to work, so wish me luck!

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Over the weekend, drove up to PA to sell my 2nd row bench seats. Buyer (who did not know of the FTE) came down from Cleveland area. Bonus - He also bought the front and rear bumpers that were removed from the EX. I told him about the FTE and he said he'll join soon so he can learn more about his '02 7.3 (translate spend $$)

The passenger seat was a simple install. The two inside mounting holes for the driver side rear seat were covered by the carpet. Once I got the outboard 2 bolts installed, I just poked a hole in the carpet and tightened the bolt through letting it adequately widen that hole in the carpet, instead of cutting a hole. Overall, it is nice and more aesthetic looking to me. Daughter's comments, " Oh, so, now we have a bigger van"

Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I have an 05 Pontiac (Toyota) Vibe (Matrix) AWD, it has been a good car. My son has it at college now. Is the Matrix new to your family?
not really to the global family, but new to my immediate family... my grandma just moved to an assisted living home, and it was hers. She bought it new back in 04, with less than 200 miles on it.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
not really to the global family, but new to my immediate family... my grandma just moved to an assisted living home, and it was hers. She bought it new back in 04, with less than 200 miles on it.
We bought ours new, now has 267,000 on it. The Buick dealer that did the Takata recall a month ago could not believe it but did admit it was a Toyota. BTW, the odometers quit at 299,999, Toyota did not program them to hit 300,000.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Over the weekend I installed new Hawk LTS pads all around, had rear rotors cut, fronts are nearly new so left them with just a quick scuff job. Also installed 3 Russell Speed Bleeders, would have been all 4 but the factory bleeder snapped off in the right front caliper and that one also had sticky slide pins so a replacement Napa caliper and bracket were installed there. Unfortunately they had sleeved the bleeder hole (I guess due to damaged threads) and the bleeder used has smaller threads than my Speed Bleeders. Installed all 5 Russell braided hoses and did a full fluid flush and glad that I did, the old fluid was black and nasty. I also rotated the tire's after giving the wheels a good scrubbing, especially in insides, either they are getting heavier or i'm getting older.
Yesterday the Bride and I washed and waxed the TT, about an acre of surface area it seemed. Today, before heading off to work for a late shift I'm hoping to address an exhaust leak (doughnuts on header collectors), sand and polish my headlights and at least begin clay barring the EX. I still need to do an oil change, readjust all tire pressures, grease the few EX points and trailer suspension and hitch, wax the EX, clean the interior, put the roof bars on and load the kayaks before we leave for our trip on Sunday evening. Between now and then I have five 12 hour shifts to work, so wish me luck!
Jeez Tom thats alotta work!

Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
Jeez Tom thats alotta work!
Yeah Sergey, it is. I'm a procrastinator by nature so its always a mad rush getting a list of projects done before a big trip.
All of that waxing has both of our arms feeling the burn! And I still have to do the EX.
I was successful in stopping both exhaust leaks, to my surprise all 4 bolts at the collector flanges turned without any drama, not bad for being on there for 7 plus years! After that I restored both headlights, they came out pretty good I think.

Name:  IlMxbn0.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.67 MB

Name:  Cvu4XQa.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  q1CIvzL.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  J0E6v2j.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.30 MB

Name:  ii0Elm8.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  1.49 MB

Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Between now and then I have five 12 hour shifts to work, so wish me luck!

Sheesh, the guy complains and he is only working half days !

Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that my wandering issue is solved, I’m driving it as often as I can, it’s not a daily driver. It would sit in the driveway for weeks at a time because I was frustrated with it. Now it’s time to get cracking on that to do list:
New stereo, previous owner installed a generic Kenwood unit but only wired up the front speakers, so I might get some new speakers. I will definitely put in some type of sound material while the door panels are off.
I definitely need new leather seat covers and I need to fix the heated seat, I already have the element.
i need to grease the slip joint in the driveshaft and I’ll check the ujoints at the same time.
I’m going to build a custom rear storage box/cabinet. I have a metal mechanics tool box back there now and I can hear every tool rattling around, drives me nuts.
I need to do some sort of undercoating before winter, this truck has zero rust and I want to keep it that way.
So today I put $100 in gas and didn’t even fill it up, love that big gas tank! I did some errands after work, put 50 miles on it and really didn’t go anywhere.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Sheesh, the guy complains and he is only working half days !
Lol Scott, at this point I'm happy to go to work, at least there I can relax a little!
Yesterday I washed the EX twice, first was because it needed it and the pollen was getting thick. Then I clay barred the roof which really needed it as I skipped it the last two times I barred the rest of the EX, now it is smoooooth but then I had to wash the wagon again to get all the schmootz off from the roof clay barring. While my Bride scrubbed the entire interior I waxed the outside, she was finished before me so she then went through the entire TT on her scrubbing frenzy. Emptied out and reloaded the storage compartments on the TT to make what we use most more accessible and took out a few things we don't need for this trip. We also loaded up some bottle water, beer, wine, dry goods and fridge stuff into the trailer. At some point we are going to need to pack some clothes too I guess.
Today I need to do the oil change, mount the roof bars with J cradles, scrub kayaks, grease the TT suspension and hitch, reset all tire pressures, check LP bottle weights, check over bikes and load them, and load one kayak on the roof. Our second kayak will be riding inside the TT for this trip as we will have our friends two kayaks on the roof of the EX as they don't have a way to haul them yet on their new truck and fiver, that's a welding project for after this trip. Then when my awesome Bride gets home from work we have to go help our old Boy Scout Troop unload and organize their annual flower and plant sale bulk delivery. And at some point today I need to finish up a little gardening here.
I work with our traveling partners in Philly and they live in NJ, so they are bringing their kayaks to work on Saturday and I'll drive the EX in and we will swap the boats over from their CR-V onto the EX there. Then on the way home I'll gas up the EX and hitch up when I get home so we will all ready to flee the scene when I get home from work on Sunday.

Scott, thanks for all of the great NH info, we will be chewing it over during this trip.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
I do not agree with toll roads as I pay taxes for fuel and the vehicle every year. I have refused to drive the NC Triangle Expressway because I feel it unjustly charges tolls to residents that live on the west side of Wake County, but that is another subject.

We have a trip to FL this summer and the NC Quick Pass works in GA and FL so I signed up for it. I got the stickers for the cars but the Ex is our long distance tow machine, I bought a NC Quick Pass that includes EZ Pass for Northern trips. That rascal is now stuck to my windshield behind the mirror.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I do not agree with toll roads as I pay taxes for fuel and the vehicle every year. I have refused to drive the NC Triangle Expressway because I feel it unjustly charges tolls to residents that live on the west side of Wake County, but that is another subject.
Much like the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, there's a toll going into San Francisco, but it's free to leave San Francisco and head to Oakland. There's a toll Westbound, but not Eastbound.

Stewart

Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And don’t speak of the northeast - higher taxes than anywhere plus tolls and the roads are ****. I drove on better roads in Zimbabwe - no kidding

Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on the rear. I already have the same on the front but they are almost ready to be replaced. THE WORST HUNKS OF CRAP TIRES. Why? Let see. After the rears were replaced my Excursion wonders like crazy. To the point of dangerous to drive. Towing is all out bad. I hook a 32 foot camper with two slide outs and its basically white knuckle driving. With wind is flat out un-driveable. My friends in the truck could hardly talk due to the dangerous nature of a vehicle wondering all over the lane. When a normal SUV passes in the fast lane my camper and truck move 3-5 feet towards then away from the passing SUV. In short I cant say enough bad about these tires. What tires did I have before? Michelin LTX streets. In fact I have a decision to make. Either install some michelin LTX's on my original rims (16 inch that I store out back) and swap to those if I have to tow or just eat the cost of these crazy, crappy, expensive, toyos and install LTX's on my current 18inch EOM rims.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Got these beauties in today based on @pirate4x4_camo ’s input. Hoping to get the rear leafs and airbag tangs installed Sunday. If that goes smooth I’ll drop in the fronts as well.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 AM
RebelRoad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed a Rough Country 3" lift

Installed a Rough Country 3" lift and attempted to fix my no horn or cruise issue with a clock spring. Kit was great love the new ride height and quality, but still no horn or cruise!

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?