Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM
BrentcAK
New User
BrentcAK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installed a new rear wiper motor, and also installed a new drivers seat cushion and cover.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Elder User
NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.
Over the course of two weeks in my driveway I pulled my turbo to inspect/clean it. I usually have my shop work on something like this, but I wanted to learn to do it myself, so I took my time basically following DieselTechRon and the other youtube guys. I'm chasing down a P132B and wanted to make sure my veins weren't stuck. Cleaned 'er up and got everything buttoned back up and the truck test drove around the neighborhood and seemed to be properly able to actuate the veins. When I pulled into my street and idled into my driveway the VGT% reading on my TorquePro jumped from 85-15 sporadically, so I'm wondering if there's still something going on and the ECM is cycling the veins. At idle and slow driving I wanna say it was in the 65 range, but I'm having short term memory since sleeping, so I'm not entirely sure. I have read up more and need to check on my MAF sensor and VGT sensor contact points to make sure they aren't faulty and I'm also not ruling out the actuator solenoid being the problem, as it is a new one put in only a couple thousand miles ago and I'm wondering if it is failing. It looked clean when I pulled it, but with those hydraulic things I guess you can never really tell what tiny piece of unseen debris could be clogging things up.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Install new MC air filter, had been using Napa air filters. The MC fits in very very tight, where the napa was quite loose.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
Sourced another NOS interior trim piece.
Lower lift-gate trim, the matching pull handle is on it's way too....

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Will look great when installed. Donít let the kids touch....

Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 PM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Will look great when installed. Donít let the kids touch....
Ahhh, there is the key,
It's all about the bachelor life here..!!!

A year ago or more I sourced some of the drivers side panels, and installed them late last year.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:09 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gave mine a nose job today (05-07 grille on 03 Excursion):

Also did the "zoodad" mod:

Used a 2" OD exhaust connection (fixed with JB Weld) to tunnel and make it look... OEM. Also cut the rubber gasket that covers to suit and finish the mod off nicely.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to allEXSwap is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy View Post
Over the course of two weeks in my driveway I pulled my turbo to inspect/clean it. I usually have my shop work on something like this, but I wanted to learn to do it myself, so I took my time basically following DieselTechRon and the other youtube guys. I'm chasing down a P132B and wanted to make sure my veins weren't stuck. Cleaned 'er up and got everything buttoned back up and the truck test drove around the neighborhood and seemed to be properly able to actuate the veins. When I pulled into my street and idled into my driveway the VGT% reading on my TorquePro jumped from 85-15 sporadically, so I'm wondering if there's still something going on and the ECM is cycling the veins. At idle and slow driving I wanna say it was in the 65 range, but I'm having short term memory since sleeping, so I'm not entirely sure. I have read up more and need to check on my MAF sensor and VGT sensor contact points to make sure they aren't faulty and I'm also not ruling out the actuator solenoid being the problem, as it is a new one put in only a couple thousand miles ago and I'm wondering if it is failing. It looked clean when I pulled it, but with those hydraulic things I guess you can never really tell what tiny piece of unseen debris could be clogging things up.

Well done doing the job yourself! Those turbos arenít too bad to rebuild. I think it took me longer to get mine out and back in than anything else. Your ring is a little worn though. The slot has been eaten out a bit by the VGT actuator. If I remember correctly, mine read VGT a little wonky after I did mine as well. But, that slot can be a problem. Some folks donít have issues with them worn a bit like that, and some folks seem to have nothing but issues. I lubed mine up real good with anti seize when I put it back together too. Did you happen to cycle it by hand and verify that it moved freely open to close? Also, if I remember correctly, the vanes have to be a certain thickness or the ring will bind up too.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM
01__Excursion
Elder User
Showed mine the light of our 68 day today....!!!!
A little trip to Lowe's for some Roundup.

I'm really liking the new 99-04 grill.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM
RBerry9511
Senior User
RBerry9511 has a great reputation on FTE.RBerry9511 has a great reputation on FTE.RBerry9511 has a great reputation on FTE.RBerry9511 has a great reputation on FTE.
GLOW PLUGS

This weekend after dealing with hard starts in cool weather (I live in southern California) for a few months. I had to plug in the block heater overnight to get her to start. I knew I had codes for glow plugs so I didn't bother to check the codes until I got ready to replace them. It turns out I had 7 glow plugs that needed replacing. By the way the passengers side was a pain to get the valve cover bolts off and back on, well 2 were 🤬. Sorry no pics.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 AM
05XCRSN
Freshman User
05XCRSN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nerf bars

My new RC nerf steps showed up in the driveway today. Then I picked up or first REAL camper.
the X is the only vehicle that can haul 6 people comfortably AND pull a 35ft. camper across the country. UPHILL.
That 6.0 shows no sign of fatigue pulling up a 7% grade. I live in Colorado at 9000ft. This is the truck for me. Several in my town.

living blessed! Can't wait for spring break.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:31 PM
RPhil
Senior User
RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RPhil is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FIlled the tank, got under 9 mpg on the last fillup. Been running around town in quick spurts hauling materials for housework, so I’m not surprised at the low numbers.

Finally got around to getting my 2 extra keys cut. I only got one key when I purchased the vehicle. I downloaded Forscan with an extended license. With our trucks you can’t just “add a new key” with the software if you only have one. You must erase all known keys and then program your new ones. I followed the steps after verifying the spares I bought would work and got it to work. I used Forscan to reprogram two new keys and then followed the instructions in the tech folder to add my third. Also took this time to add a remote. I tried to add two remotes but it seems like the truck would only let me have one programmed at any time. Oh well, no biggie.

Also used Forscan to correct my tire revs/mile setting so my speedo will be accurate again.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM
rsqfxr
New User
rsqfxr is starting off with a positive reputation.
installed a sinister diesel coolant filter and a turbo compressor wheel

Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 PM
Misky6.0
Post Fiend
Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Not so much "to the excursion" but FOR the Excursion!

Several surgeries (all is fine, no health concerns moving forward, thanks to amazing doctors and nurses at NIH in Bethesda MD)

1k lb furniture dollies from Harbor Freight and some 4x4 cribbing created a great platform to roll the axle out. It is now on jack stands tucked in a corner of my barn/garage, so I could make room to pull my Ex back inside out of winter.

and finally cleared to do heavy work again.
Removed front suspension from '05 F250 as part of 4wd upgrade to my 2wd Excursion.
Donor has floor manual 4wd and all kinds of spare parts, for both my 6.0 Excursion and my '99 F350 plow truck.

Once I get further along, I'll create a build thread.

Large log and cribbing raised front end nice and high to make working under easier.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Took family bowling and to get ice cream after, the little ones love riding in the 3rd row.

spring has sprung here, snow tires are coming off this week!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.