Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Robv2346
Freshman User
Robv2346 has a good reputation on FTE.Robv2346 has a good reputation on FTE.
Fuel Pump / Rear Differential Service

At 192,000 the original fuel pump finally gave up. (V10 6.8 4r100) Rock Auto Motorcraft was $300 Bosch $150 Airtex $150. From some reading I learned that Ford uses either Bosch or Airtex as Motorcraft. Not sure but I went with the Bosch at half price for entire assembly at the advice of a friend who is Ford dealer mechanic 30 years. Some ok videos on youtube. Jacked left side up about 4 or 5 inches. Removed screws at filler and then lowered. it naturally lowered first on passenger side and i was able to get up under and disconnect the lines and hoses etc. Plugged everything and cleaned outside. Opened ring and it was very clean inside. Was having trouble with pump lid popping off of gasket so i sat an 8 pound dumbbell on top and it held it in place nice while i spun the ring on. While looking up there at rear, i couldnt remember last service so i did that thanks to Fordtechmakeuloco video. . Was tougher getting filler hose back on so i marked the side of the hose with marker and twisted until it was in right spot and then tightened. Needed 2 floor jacks and some cribbing while maneuvering the hoses and lines. Naturallly i did the fuel filter too.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
them airtex pumps are good i use them all the time on different vehicles.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
My sister texted me today, while driving her 2000 Ex 7.3l 2WD with 400,000 on it broke a tie rod while on the interstate around Raleigh. She was able to control it to a stop, could have easily wrecked. I told her to get all of the tie rod ends replaced, check ball joints, alignment and to replace sway bar bushings and links. She was having it towed to a dealer.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Yikes, glad she’s OK. Hopefully the dealer won’t charge the $2000 I’m estimating.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Yikes, glad shes OK. Hopefully the dealer wont charge the $2000 Im estimating.
She loves her Ex and is the original owner, I agree $2K but the truck is in good shape.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud ofseijirou has much to be proud of
I verified that the 4wd esof works on some snowy gravel roads... somewhere in Argentina.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 PM
MPURDY
New User
MPURDY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bought my Excursion yesterday! 2001 Limited. Cleaned her up today!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Magnus E
Posting Guru
Magnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MPURDY View Post
congrats on getting your Excursion

Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 PM
MPURDY
New User
Originally Posted by Magnus E View Post

congrats on getting your Excursion
Thanks man! My girl's diggin it too! When I figure out this forum I might post a pic!

Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 PM
MPURDY
New User

On the lot before I picked HER up!

Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 PM
MPURDY
New User

Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 PM
RedLance
New User
RedLance is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Several updates, not just today...

Installed a Walker BTM, with band clamps instead of normal clamps.

Hutch mod, note the rust on the fuel pickup and black crud in the screens.

Cleaned at least 10 pounds of rocks and dirt from between the plastic tank and steel skid plate...

Note the rust on the float arm and hose clamp...

And the bracket I made for the new pre-pump filter, it's probably 10 gauge stainless steel, designed to mount the filter head to 2 of the seat bolts. I confess, I don't actually have it installed yet...I'll get a pic when I do.

The seat bolts are 12mm and I think 1.5 pitch.

I've also recently replaced the driver's side front axle shaft, due to a bad u-joint wiping out the yokes, also did the driver's side front wheel hub, and then the power steering pump.

Forgot to mention, I also replaced the rusted out rear hitch, which is why I dropped the tank in the first place. A cutting torch sure makes quick work of the shear bolts. I used the CURT hitch, which is rated for 12,000 pounds.
Changed the rear axle fluid while the tank was out of the way, and the rear shocks. Used Royal Purple in the axle, and Rancho 5000 shocks.

A while back I did ball joints, tie rods, front shocks and brake rotors, pads and calipers. I used Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, and their towing pads, all from Rockauto. And rebuilt calipers from Oreilly auto, because I didn't know I was going to need new ones, until I had it all apart.

Oh and starter and alternator, plus belt, tensioner and idler.

More to come I'm sure.

245,000 miles and counting.

Last edited by RedLance; 12-09-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
I've been slacking, I had not really driven the Ex because I had not put the studded snow tires on yet and it's been super icy with all the freezing rain and crap. So tonight the snow tires went on and I put my new tags on so she's legal until 2020.

back to stock size tires

Old 12-09-2018, 05:11 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by MPURDY View Post
Welcome to the EX forum!
And congrats on the wagon! Tell us a little (or a lot) about it.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 PM
ShelbyHauler
Senior User
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by inthedirt View Post
Had the 5Star y-pipe sitting in a box for the last couple of months just waiting for some time to get everything down to my local shop. I usually do all my own work, but I just haven't had the time. I've read that others were able to get away with a shop bill of <$100 since its a "simple" cut and weld procedure. Well, the shop guy said that my rig had flanges that weren't indicated in the supplied pictures from 5Star. As such, he had to mod the pipes that were sent to me. Wonder if maybe I was sent a set of pipes meant for the F250/350. He had to get creative and the bill showed it......$190. For not much more, I could've had a dual exhaust built for the darn thing. Lesson learned: I need to get concrete poured in my shop and install a lift. This is getting ridiculous!

So I picked it up after work last night and did a little inspection while it was warming up. Welds were pretty good and it appears to be a quality install. At idle, I can't detect any noticeable change in tone. Now, once underway, there is a distinctive difference in the tone. Its not necessarily more or less throaty, but it is louder by a smidge and sounds more like a cone has been placed at the end of the tailpipe. I don't think my muffler is stock, but its fairly good sized at over 3ft long. I wanted to see if there was anything my butt-dyno could detect since 5Star claims additional HP gains over the choked-T or the Rams-horn pipes. There is definitely more midrange pull north of 3k RPM, so that'll help with accelerating while towing. I would have liked to spent less on this, but I'm happy with the gains.
Are you still running factory exhaust manifolds or have you installed headers? I am also wanting to replace the restrictive "T" with a "Y" pipe and also have a set of Gibson Headers that I want to change out at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.