Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
I removed the spare black CPS I had from Stay Puft (RIP) since Rudolph was running rough and occasionally stalling and bucking. I didn't have another one so I installed my spare DT466 Blue CPS and wouldn't you know it, throttle response is normal again and Rudolph gets down the road much better. No more stalling either

Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM
inthedirt
Senior User
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
Had the 5Star y-pipe sitting in a box for the last couple of months just waiting for some time to get everything down to my local shop. I usually do all my own work, but I just haven't had the time. I've read that others were able to get away with a shop bill of <$100 since its a "simple" cut and weld procedure. Well, the shop guy said that my rig had flanges that weren't indicated in the supplied pictures from 5Star. As such, he had to mod the pipes that were sent to me. Wonder if maybe I was sent a set of pipes meant for the F250/350. He had to get creative and the bill showed it......$190. For not much more, I could've had a dual exhaust built for the darn thing. Lesson learned: I need to get concrete poured in my shop and install a lift. This is getting ridiculous!

So I picked it up after work last night and did a little inspection while it was warming up. Welds were pretty good and it appears to be a quality install. At idle, I can't detect any noticeable change in tone. Now, once underway, there is a distinctive difference in the tone. Its not necessarily more or less throaty, but it is louder by a smidge and sounds more like a cone has been placed at the end of the tailpipe. I don't think my muffler is stock, but its fairly good sized at over 3ft long. I wanted to see if there was anything my butt-dyno could detect since 5Star claims additional HP gains over the choked-T or the Rams-horn pipes. There is definitely more midrange pull north of 3k RPM, so that'll help with accelerating while towing. I would have liked to spent less on this, but I'm happy with the gains.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:52 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Dirt, did your EX have the rams horn or the T pipe originally? Just curious.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 AM
inthedirt
Senior User
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
Rams horn. Didn't detect any flutter after the installation, but I only drove it a few miles home. Like yours, its pretty much a dedicated tow rig.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by inthedirt View Post
Rams horn. Didn't detect any flutter after the installation, but I only drove it a few miles home. Like yours, its pretty much a dedicated tow rig.
It was the Ram's horn design that supposedly had the flutter, then they designed the T pipe to combat the flutter, the Ram's horns flowed better and I don't see anybody ever complaining about any flutter noises here, either with the Ram's horns or any of the standard Y pipe mods. I think exhaust flutter is the Bigfoot of exhaust sounds.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Eric D Plante
New User
Eric D Plante is starting off with a positive reputation.
1st time poster. in the past 2 weeks did minor stuff.
Blower resistor- Was rusty and the terminals were rusty. New one installed with Dielectric grease to keep the moisture off the terminals
Door check- worn and broken
Still need to replace the heater hose Y located at the rear of the engine above it, its leaking/dripping.
I have a list of stuff, just will take time to order and replace.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Eric D Plante View Post
Blower resistor- Was rusty and the terminals were rusty. New one installed with Dielectric grease to keep the moisture off the terminals
Still need to replace the heater hose Y located at the rear of the engine above it, its leaking/dripping.

Welcome to the FTE!

Old 11-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Earthquake in Anchorage. Alaska friends ok?

Old 11-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I called Russell earlier, he and his family are OK

Not sure about Skip though

Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Eric D Plante View Post
Welcome to the EX forum!
Feel free to start a new thread to introduce yourself and your EX, and we love pictures here!

Old 11-30-2018, 07:44 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post

Thank you for the call, sorry I was a bit short I was right in the thick of it. Just a big clean up now! No major damage personally and best part no injuries but man it was scary with some large aftershocks. Major infrastructure damage though.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
New Wiper Arms, 4C3Z-17526-AA & 4C3Z-17527-AA
fixed my dead spot in the middle of the window, so these arms with the Honda blades is a winning combo for sure!!!
sorry for the crappy evening pics

just 1 question now, so my old wipers looked to either not be OEM or didn't have any ford markings on them, also didn't have the key so i could position them so they sat much lower on the windshield. New wipers do have the key and now they sit at an angle, should i just remove the key so i can position them lower, or is there another adjustment for this??

Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post

I am quite handy, but Iíve never had any luck removing wiper springs. Do you have any tips?
I have a few "spring" tools. One is a hook with a screw driver handle, great for hooking and pulling on springs to get them in place. A good set of vise grips Works well for pulling and setting springs as well. If you have a few, modifying one with just a small notch in the jaws for the spring to sit in works very well. A plain screw driver works good for setting springs most times too. Slip the screw driver threw the spring hook, stick the end of the screw driver on the pin the spring will attach too, then lever the screw driver over till the spring slides down the screw driver shaft onto its pin. A small but stiff tube works for doing this as well.

I try to get everything as sturdy as possible when playing with springs. For wiper arms I would stick them in the vise and lock them down good (without crushing them) to make work easier.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I have a few "spring" tools. One is a hook with a screw driver handle, great for hooking and pulling on springs to get them in place. A good set of vise grips Works well for pulling and setting springs as well. If you have a few, modifying one with just a small notch in the jaws for the spring to sit in works very well. A plain screw driver works good for setting springs most times too. Slip the screw driver threw the spring hook, stick the end of the screw driver on the pin the spring will attach too, then lever the screw driver over till the spring slides down the screw driver shaft onto its pin. A small but stiff tube works for doing this as well.

I try to get everything as sturdy as possible when playing with springs. For wiper arms I would stick them in the vise and lock them down good (without crushing them) to make work easier.
my new arms easily have double the spring force of my old ones, but i will keep this in mind if i need to do this again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.