Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Snow this morning, salt truck just went by, another year in the books. I love my excursion!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Timberframer03
New User
Timberframer03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Timberframer03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Winter is coming

Just replaced the tie rods and put on a new set of toyo tires. It's amazing how much better she handles now. I love this thing!

Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Ordered 5 tires for the Ex from Discount Tire, 4 Michelin Defender LTX and 1 lesser brand tire for the spare. Went through the store and will have them put on just before Thanksgiving to take advantage of their Black Friday sale. 10% off your purchase,

Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 PM
DidieX
Elder User
DidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to all
Anyone know how long the warranty is on the 1aauto tow mirrors? I see the newer ones listed now have a limited lifetime warranty but the one I bought is no longer listed. The power fold motor seems to be going out on my driver's side mirror.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Dave's here
Freshman User
Dave's here is starting off with a positive reputation.
Took pics of it. Added some commentary. Check out my new member post.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DidieX View Post
Anyone know how long the warranty is on the 1aauto tow mirrors? I see the newer ones listed now have a limited lifetime warranty but the one I bought is no longer listed. The power fold motor seems to be going out on my driver's side mirror.
i thought for features not originally available they didn't warranty anything.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Today I decided to remove my old, cloudy headlights and turn signal housings to pop in the new ones. My plan is to cut up the old headlights to test-fit my HIDs, then I'll have a template to go by when I cut up the new housings.

Well, that didn't go as planned. Ford lighting engineers must have been sniffing glue when they designed these things. The clips holding the headlight anchors are positively diabolical, and the bottom anchor is neary impossible to remove. Then on to the turn signal housings... passenger's side, a screwdriver barely fit; driver's side, I had to drop the bumper to get to the screws, one of which is forever missing now as it dropped into the bumper or some nether regions of the truck. I'm guessing that installing the screws is going to be... challenging. I am astonished that someone hired this level of incompetence, and even more so that nobody looked over the designer's shoulder at some point and said, "dude, what the f--k?" And then, it was approved throughout the design, engineering, and manufacturing process without anybody saying, "hey, wait a second, this is buffoonery". If Ford wants to save some money, they would be fully justified in rescinding the pensions for the idiots who designed these two parts.

Probably an hour and a half to remove the lights and turn signals. I ended up just mangling the lower mount on the driver's side, removing it in small pieces with needle-nose vice-grips. Since I wasn't reusing them, the little push tabs were impossible to depress and refused to break; yet any wiring or sensor connector I need to re-use, that f----r is going to explode into seven pieces the moment I give the tab a little pressure.

I think I know what may be to blame, it's pretty clear some of the Ford engineers were malnourished as children - the kids that went on to become GM engineers ate the Ford kids lunches on a daily basis, and they clearly quenched their hunger by eating lead paint chips.

Of the same vintage, GMC headlight removal takes all of 30 seconds: pull two pins and it comes out in your hand, no tools. Pull back the grille (on steel clips), and one additional clip gets the turn signal housing - again, by hand. Amazing how similar they are in appearance externally, but the underpinnings are proof that the Ford engineers were in the corner comparing ear wax on their eraser tips and flicking boogers at each other while the GM kids were learning how to design stuff.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Work done this week

- Viper Security & Remote start
- Ball Joints
- Centerlink

Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post

I think I know what may be to blame, it's pretty clear some of the Ford engineers were malnourished as children - the kids that went on to become GM engineers ate the Ford kids lunches on a daily basis, and they clearly quenched their hunger by eating lead paint chips.

Of the same vintage, GMC headlight removal takes all of 30 seconds: pull two pins and it comes out in your hand, no tools. Pull back the grille (on steel clips), and one additional clip gets the turn signal housing - again, by hand. Amazing how similar they are in appearance externally, but the underpinnings are proof that the Ford engineers were in the corner comparing ear wax on their eraser tips and flicking boogers at each other while the GM kids were learning how to design stuff.
Ford's newest, latest and greatest engine coolant, which Ford introduced to various models in 2017, is the same formulation as, and interchangeable with... GM's Dex-Cool, which GM has been specifying for how many decades now?

Having a GMC also, there are many other engineering aspects where GM appeared to have the sharper pencil, despite their trucks and SUV's not appearing as tough as Ford.

However, from an aesthetics point of view, the body designers at Ford have been hitting it out of the ball park for the last few years, producing sheet metal lines that resonate with the generation of buyers who can afford them. (30's and 40's)

I guess success depends on what is easier to sell, not what is easier to service.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 AM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
Today I decided to remove my old, cloudy headlights and turn signal housings to pop in the new ones. My plan is to cut up the old headlights to test-fit my HIDs, then I'll have a template to go by when I cut up the new housings.

Well, that didn't go as planned. Ford lighting engineers must have been sniffing glue when they designed these things. The clips holding the headlight anchors are positively diabolical, and the bottom anchor is neary impossible to remove. Then on to the turn signal housings... passenger's side, a screwdriver barely fit; driver's side, I had to drop the bumper to get to the screws, one of which is forever missing now as it dropped into the bumper or some nether regions of the truck. I'm guessing that installing the screws is going to be... challenging. I am astonished that someone hired this level of incompetence, and even more so that nobody looked over the designer's shoulder at some point and said, "dude, what the f--k?" And then, it was approved throughout the design, engineering, and manufacturing process without anybody saying, "hey, wait a second, this is buffoonery". If Ford wants to save some money, they would be fully justified in rescinding the pensions for the idiots who designed these two parts.

Probably an hour and a half to remove the lights and turn signals. I ended up just mangling the lower mount on the driver's side, removing it in small pieces with needle-nose vice-grips. Since I wasn't reusing them, the little push tabs were impossible to depress and refused to break; yet any wiring or sensor connector I need to re-use, that f----r is going to explode into seven pieces the moment I give the tab a little pressure.

I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of upgrading my lights now, needle nose pliers longer than this pair were all i needed to remove my old headlights.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all

not even with a long handle needle nose pliers? Thats what i used, i seemed to remember them breaking anyway.

The new clips since i had aftermarket TYC brand lights didn’t fit even close to as tight, had to shim them so my lights wouldn’t rattle i should do the same as you and retrofit them.....

Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post

not even with a long handle needle nose pliers? Thats what i used, i seemed to remember them breaking anyway.

The new clips since i had aftermarket TYC brand lights didn’t fit even close to as tight, had to shim them so my lights wouldn’t rattle i should do the same as you and retrofit them.....
For the bottom anchor on the passenger's side, I pushed a 9/16" deepwell over it - that compressed the ears enough to pull it out. Then the socket fell down into the fender, requiring partial removal of the inner fender to retrieve. Though the same OEM headlight mount, the bottom mount on the driver's side did not not yield to the same method.

On the top, it seems like you need three tools at the same time to remove the clip: a 90* angled awl to pull out the left side of the clip, ditto for the right side, and a screwdriver or large needlenose pliers to pry up on the clip. But there's a metal tab on the fender that blocks access to the outboard side of each clip, making it very difficult to get to unless you have *just* the right awl.

Mine are TYC also... I will NOT be happy if they rattle around. I guess I'll have to come up with a shim plan to get them stable if mine are loose too. I do still have the OEM upper mounts intact, so maybe I'll reuse them. No doubt they just heard that thought, and spontaneously turned to powder on my workbench.

Another interesting observation between my '02 GMC and the Ex is that I can swap a bulb on the GMC's side marker or turn signal without removing the headlight first (though it is a 30-second job to do the headlight). I can't see that the same can be said for the Ford design - it looks like the headlight has to come out first to have clearance for the turn signal housing lower mounting tabs to make it past the bumper. If so, then Ford has complicated changing a $3 side marker bulb into at least a 45-minute evolution - not counting reassembly. Genius!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
For the bottom anchor on the passenger's side, I pushed a 9/16" deepwell over it - that compressed the ears enough to pull it out. Then the socket fell down into the fender, requiring partial removal of the inner fender to retrieve. Though the same OEM headlight mount, the bottom mount on the driver's side did not not yield to the same method.

On the top, it seems like you need three tools at the same time to remove the clip: a 90* angled awl to pull out the left side of the clip, ditto for the right side, and a screwdriver or large needlenose pliers to pry up on the clip. But there's a metal tab on the fender that blocks access to the outboard side of each clip, making it very difficult to get to unless you have *just* the right awl.

Mine are TYC also... I will NOT be happy if they rattle around. I guess I'll have to come up with a shim plan to get them stable if mine are loose too. I do still have the OEM upper mounts intact, so maybe I'll reuse them. No doubt they just heard that thought, and spontaneously turned to powder on my workbench.

Another interesting observation between my '02 GMC and the Ex is that I can swap a bulb on the GMC's side marker or turn signal without removing the headlight first (though it is a 30-second job to do the headlight). I can't see that the same can be said for the Ford design - it looks like the headlight has to come out first to have clearance for the turn signal housing lower mounting tabs to make it past the bumper. If so, then Ford has complicated changing a $3 side marker bulb into at least a 45-minute evolution - not counting reassembly. Genius!
i can swap headlight bulbs pretty easy w/o assembly removal.

side markers are just a couple of screws and the assembly comes out, just like my '94 chevy......

to shim the lights i found some sort of ultra thin washers at a hardware store and stacked them until everything was tight, took some trial and error and i don't even remember what worked best. might actually have been snap rings and not washers. I also seem to remember the OEM adjusters didn't work with the TYC housings so i had to come up with something because rattly headlights are not acceptable to me.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Yeah, headlight bulbs aren't a problem. And maybe my bumper is adjusted too high, making the clearance between the headlight and bumper too little to pull the ts/marker housing out.

Thanks for the ideas on the shims.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.