Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
no pics again but been a productive week at this point.
1. Exhaust studs replaced, 1 helicoiled
2. Remflex manifold gaskets
3. fixed trip computer
4. carlson quietglide brake clips and lubed up all the slide pins (they were fine, but i was in there)
5. used my grease zerk adapter and added some grease to my front hubs that have 10k on them now. did about 20-25 pumps per side, didn't want to push in too much, not sure if i did, if it pushed out it is inside the hub now.
6. touched up some paint in a few places that were down to bare metal, and the stupid paint on the roof is chipped again in about 8 places, really should just have it stripped and repainted but for now spot por15 seems to be working. need to find some mud flaps for it.

tomorrow, reinstall inner fenders and drive it. it sounds so much different w/o exhaust leaks.....

Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Found the source of my radiator leak and ordered parts:

No cracks in the inlet that I could find. My analysis is that the crappy hose clamp used by the shop has a large blob on the inside diameter, a result of crimping the screw housing onto the band. It protrudes quite promenently onto the clamping surface... notice the divets in the hose. Probably too tight there, too loose the rest of the way around. Could crappy clamps be causing the cracking of inlet tubes? It seemed the screw was tight enough, but one might be tempted to crank down on it to stop the leak, and overstress the inlet in that area.

Solution:

Amazon Amazon

That should spread out the load more evenly. I'll know for certain on Tuesday - I just hope that's the only leak...

Old 11-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Found the source of my radiator leak and ordered parts:

No cracks in the inlet that I could find. My analysis is that the crappy hose clamp used by the shop has a large blob on the inside diameter, a result of crimping the screw housing onto the band. It protrudes quite promenently onto the clamping surface... notice the divets in the hose. Probably too tight there, too loose the rest of the way around. Could crappy clamps be causing the cracking of inlet tubes? It seemed the screw was tight enough, but one might be tempted to crank down on it to stop the leak, and overstress the inlet in that area.

Solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should spread out the load more evenly. I'll know for certain on Tuesday - I just hope that's the only leak...

maybe im strange, and i have a nice hose clamp tool, but i really like oem/spring/constant tension clamps

Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100

maybe im strange, and i have a nice hose clamp tool, but i really like oem/spring/constant tension clamps
Spring clamps are my fave. But I couldn't find the right size on Amazon today, said screw it and got these.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100

Maybe I should buy a tool. Those spring clamps are the first thing I throw away after they twang my fingers a few times getting them off without the proper tool. Ouch!

Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I made the decision to sell my Ex, I just keep pouring money into it, just can’t seem to figure out why the steering feels so loose all the time. Everything is new under the truck except tie rods and ends but they are nice and tight. Pulling the camper this morning was it, I’m done. I think we will end up buying a class C motor home and flat tow the wife’s explorer. I just can’t get used to how short this truck is, been driving crew cab duallies way to long I guess.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:28 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Used it to drag home another project. I had been half *** hunting for a small truck the last few weeks. This guy popped up yesterday on craigslist 45 mins away. Talked him down to $375 Runs fine, he only stopped driving it because they wouldn't pass it for inspection. He said he bought it new back in 02 and that his son got drunk and hit a tree

Now I'm on the hunt for a silver hood, bumper, and fenders (can probably pop the dent out of the drivers side, pass is fubar)

Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Drove down to Miami today and looked at a 2005 with 99k miles on the clock. It's a 6.0 (not bullet proofed). Wasn't as clean as I had hoped but showed very well.

Should have never ever sold my baby... damn idiot.
That'll learn you!

Old 11-04-2018, 02:39 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbug05LTD
Replaced the engine oil fill cap with a new one as the old one was all pitted on the top and I've noticed oil on the valve cover near that area. Also warmed the Ex up on the highway and when I got home checked the temperature of the catalytic converter with an IR temperature gun. Got a reading of 300 F on the inlet an 440 on the outlet so I guess it's functioning properly. I thought I would check it as I've heard some pinging a few times lately and that may be one cause for it. I'm running the SCT X4 89 tow tune and have tried getting fuel at different stations in case it was bad gas but I still get it every now and then when going uphill and on the throttle pretty good.
About the pinging, have you been matching the 89 Octane tune with the same grade gas? Mine gets a little ping here and there on the 87 tunes but seems to ping less on the 89 tunes with matching 89 gas.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol

Now I'm on the hunt for a silver hood, bumper, and fenders (can probably pop the dent out of the drivers side, pass is fubar)

Many years ago, when I was a young man, I worked in a small body shop. Often, when looking for used parts for a collision repair, we would buy from a salvage yard that was just outside of Boston. When we would call looking for parts, they always asked what color we were looking for. We always kinda figured they would find cars to sell parts off of 'to order' …… if you know what I mean.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Tbug05LTD
Tuned

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

About the pinging, have you been matching the 89 Octane tune with the same grade gas? Mine gets a little ping here and there on the 87 tunes but seems to ping less on the 89 tunes with matching 89 gas.
Thanks WE3ZS, but I have been running the 89 octane fuel to match the tune and have been purchasing fuel from different name brand stations.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
rear wheel setup:

front wheel setup:

Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Drove down to Miami today and looked at a 2005 with 99k miles on the clock. It's a 6.0 (not bullet proofed). Wasn't as clean as I had hoped but showed very well.

Should have never ever sold my baby... damn idiot.
It's ok Michael, we'll take you back. Just make sure it's as clean as you last one was. It gave a lot of us something to look up to.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:51 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Folks, It has been a while, but my Excursion is finally back up and running. I got to drive it home yesterday night after 2 months of troubleshooting and fixes due to a dead PCM. Here's a quick rundown on the work done by the Ford Service tech.

- The PCM being unresponsive was the primary issue that we were dealing with. It was removed and sent to DTC (noted in prior posts) and came back as a perfectly working unit. But, after putting it back, we had made no progress and were still trying find the cause.
- Prior to taking the truck to the dealership, I had replaced all the fuses and relays in the fuse panel under the steering wheel to troubleshoot. One fuse was blown and that did bring power back to the OBD port, but there was no comms from the PCM.
- Tech pulled out a PCM from another F-Series and was successful in getting it to power up the PCM. Every test done was pointing to a bad PCM. So, decided to pull the trigger on a replacement PCM.
- This PCM powered up fine and started chattering and throwing out codes. Now we were able to take the next step in the right direction. The IDM relay blew immediately. A couple of electrical tests came back negative. Now, the dealership's electrical guru stepped in and started a hunt for potential broken wires, chafing, bad grounds etc. He did find a couple of cracked insulation, but nothing alarming. As a precaution, he did cleanup all the ground wires in the engine cavity. Now, after all of this, the last piece of the puzzle was a shorted out Fuel heater. Replaced that and the engine started up immediately on the first crank. The short apparently did a number on the PCM by back feeding ground through the IDM circuitry.

As part of all this troubleshooting, I did ask the techs to replace the major sensors that were potential culprits as pointed out in earlier posts - ICP, CPS etc. and provided them with Motorcraft spares in case they needed them. But at the end all of those spares are now back home and will go on the shelf as spares for another day.

I want take the time to thank @Nicmike and @Toreador_Diesel for keeping me sane as they guided me through all this. It has been a little over 2 months and I had forgotten what the door codes were on my EX and what it sounded like. But the almost daily chat with them would reassure me that I just needed some patience and trust on my tech to get this EX running again.

Also, I want to give shout out to Joey (Service Manager) and Chris (Technician) at Koons Ford in Sterling, VA. They persevered through all this along with me and worked diligently to troubleshoot each of the existing and potential problems. If you are in the Northern VA area and are looking for a tech that knows his Diesels, talk to Joey and ask him to have Chris work on your truck.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Snow this morning, salt truck just went by, another year in the books. I love my excursion!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?