Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Matt M, PA
Posting Guru
Matt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to all
I need to use mine tomorrow for a trip to A.C. A friend bought a new Corvette and we're going to bring it home with the trailer. (First time a non-Mopar or Ford was in the trailer and it's a '95)

Yesterday, took the Ex to the range and managed to drive in some rain on the way back. So...what did I do to the Ex yesterday? Washed it.

I need to pull the trailer hitch over the winter and get it powder coated....I guess I better start my research on that project....

Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
started this, the lower right one is kicking my ***. still enough to weld too, but the weld is too weak and keeps breaking. I am not a good welder..... of course it is the only one that snapped on removal too

the other 4 came out as 2 with just double nuts and twist out and the other 2 were with nuts welded on.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all

Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Elder User
NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.NorthwesternCowboy has a great reputation on FTE.
Finished front end job, still vibrating but more obvious toward the rear rather than up front. Lot less play noise up front, still have a joint/rod/link of some sort clunking up front, but not as bad as before the work. I'll take a look at the rears and if that seems fine I guess I'll pull the ujoints I did and make sure I didn't bjork something up. I have another set of 35s I can try too.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:24 PM
DidieX
Elder User
DidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Things to check.
1. Wheels
2. Drive shaft slip yoke worn or needs needs lube.
3. Pinion nut or output flange nut loose
4. If you have lifted the vehicle driveshaft alignment, output and pinion need to be parallel. Axle shim is the fix.

Since it happens at 70 Iím guessing driveshaft. For some magic reason 65-70 is the speed driveshaft vibes seem to show up.
Pirate, thanks for the list.

1. Possible but it did the exact same thing with the old set of wheels and tires.
2. Also possible, I can't remember when it was lubed last. It could also be a worn u joint.
3. Pinion has no play but output has a wee bit as mentioned, I'm hoping it's 2 and not this.
4. No suspension lift, just slightly bigger wheels on '04 lariat wheels.

Another reason I suspect it's driveline/output shaft related is when i hit a rough section of highway or a bump and the suspension unloads, I don't feel the vibration until the truck settles down again. Geometry of the driveshaft changes so that's why I'm thinking it's that. Does this make any sense? I could be way off on this assumption.

I don't know when I'm going to get to address this issue, it's a slight vibration and I'm mostly driving local and don't get up to speed. I still need to install my new curt hitch and the rear bumper I got from Steve a while back.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
My bet is slip yoke or ujoint starting to go.
good news is the slip yoke is an easy 30 minute job even with no zerk, my drive shaft has a zerk fitting on the slip yoke so its a 2 minute task. You will want to order a new slip yoke boot before you start though. F81Z-4421-CA

Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
whatsup fellers? got a bunch of that sh$ty white stuff again. been a busy summer havent had lot of time to get on here and waste, but now that im all trapped up in the house again im gonna stop buy allot more. good to be back on.

Skip
Palmer Alaska

Old 11-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Tbug05LTD
Senior User
Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.Tbug05LTD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Replaced the engine oil fill cap with a new one as the old one was all pitted on the top and I've noticed oil on the valve cover near that area. Also warmed the Ex up on the highway and when I got home checked the temperature of the catalytic converter with an IR temperature gun. Got a reading of 300 F on the inlet an 440 on the outlet so I guess it's functioning properly. I thought I would check it as I've heard some pinging a few times lately and that may be one cause for it. I'm running the SCT X4 89 tow tune and have tried getting fuel at different stations in case it was bad gas but I still get it every now and then when going uphill and on the throttle pretty good.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
I gave mine an angry scowl.

Why, after as good as I've been to her lately, all the RiffRaff shiny bling, does she start leaking coolant? It's only a little from the radiator, but really, it isn't on my list of things to upgrade. She could have had a good start on the suspension, but NOOOooo... now we have to see if we need a radiator.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
They will sometimes crack on the inlet and outlet extensions right under the clamps for the hoses. Can't see it.

Plastic gets brittle over the years...

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
2 days ago, resoldered trip computer resistors
yesterday fought with broken extractor in last exhaust stud to be removed.
today got said stud heli-coiled and drivers side manifold reinstalled.

tomorrow:
connect y-pipe back up
carlson quietglide brake clips on rear brakes, fronts were done 3 days ago.
some random touch up paint.
figure out how to get wheel well liners back in because they were tough to get out...

Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 AM
DidieX
Elder User
DidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to allDidieX is a name known to all
My windshield cracked. I have full glass coverage with no deductible but I want carlite/Ford glass, I hate aftermarket glass, I had a bad experience with my Sequoia. How do I make insurance give me carlite/Ford glass?

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I put mine to bed for the winter yesterday. Supposed to rain today then start cooling down over the weekend. Looks to be highs in the 30's starting this next week so I am sure the salt is coming. I didn't have time to clean the interior but I did give it a quick wash. Last fall I had a friend detail it and he used that ceramic stuff on the front end. I was shocked how easy the bugs came off with that stuff on! Might be something to that stuff after all.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by DidieX View Post
My windshield cracked. I have full glass coverage with no deductible but I want carlite/Ford glass, I hate aftermarket glass, I had a bad experience with my Sequoia. How do I make insurance give me carlite/Ford glass?
I have used Safelite for replacements, I believe you can specify Carlite. In NC you can dictate what parts are used, I don't know about NY.

I have had so many glass claims I have paid for the last 2 windshields out of pocket (insurance agent recommended this so I don't get red flagged). I used an el cheapo place for the glass in my Vibe and so far no issues.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
They will sometimes crack on the inlet and outlet extensions right under the clamps for the hoses. Can't see it.

Plastic gets brittle over the years...
I bet that is exactly it, and the first place I'll be looking today.

Thanks, man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.