Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 10-13-2018, 07:08 AM
msuser92
Junior User
msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.msuser92 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
the skid plate WAS the mounting system for the tank - no dropping the skid plate and then loosening tank straps, there were none.
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly or not, but the straps for the tank marry the tank to the skid plate. When you unbolt the skid plate the skid plate and tank both come out.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 AM
DeltaV
Junior User
DeltaV has a good reputation on FTE.DeltaV has a good reputation on FTE.DeltaV has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by msuser92 View Post
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly or not, but the straps for the tank marry the tank to the skid plate. When you unbolt the skid plate the skid plate and tank both come out.
That is correct. 4 bolts hold the skidplate to the frame and the plastic tank is strapped to the skid plate. When you take out the 4 bolts on the skid plate, the tank is coming down with it.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PrescottIce is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep - but the RiffRaff destructions and others I've seen on the web reference removing the skid plate, then finding the attachments straps to the frame and lowering the tank:
  1. For trucks with a fuel tank skid plate, remove the skid plate by removing the attachment bolts and remove the skid plate.
  2. Remove the clamps from the fuel tank filler neck and the vent pipe. These will normally be stuck to the filler pipe. Use a smooth and round pick to work the hose around the tube until it loosens.
  3. Support the fuel tank with a floor jack with a piece of wood to distribute the weight across the bottom of the tank. You may also use tie down straps to support the tank to aid in lowering.
  4. Locate the fuel tank attach strap bolts at the frame rail and remove them.
  5. Lower the tank to gain access to the fuel and electrical connections.
Obviously written from the F-X50 perspective, but it could make for a surprise for someone unsuspecting of the difference.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Immortal_Ben
Posting Guru
Immortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud ofImmortal_Ben has much to be proud of
I vacuumed out the busted front passenger glass and taped plastic over the gaping hole Now to get a replacement from the part yard next week. Lost over $700 worth of stuff in the smash & grab.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:32 PM
DidieX
Elder User
DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.DidieX has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben View Post
I vacuumed out the busted front passenger glass and taped plastic over the gaping hole Now to get a replacement from the part yard next week. Lost over $700 worth of stuff in the smash & grab.
That sucks. Oh how I hate petty thiefs, there are so many of them in my neighborhood, they walk from car to car at night looking for one that was inadvertently left unlocked.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Almost that time again!