Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Limped home with oil waterfalling out of my ICP sensor. Got it in the shop and it looks like the generic SCT 50HP tow tune I was running was holding the ICP at something ridiculous like 5000psi and literally destroyed the sensor and was pushing oil out the sensor hole at a rate of about a quart every 40 miles. We're ordering up custom tunes already to test that the psi issue gets fixed, but has anybody ever heard of that happening with other rigs? It's a shame, because the Ex was towing like an absolute monster over the pass back home from the beach. I drive this big guy hard, but I don't think I push him to any limits he should be able to withstand considering all the work we just did to him.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:13 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Damn your undercarriage is clean too. Scary crap, considering everything looks to be in top shape and in good working order.

Stewart
thank you i try to simple green the engine bay as much as i can and keep it clean to be able to pinpoint problematic areas when they arise. the truck is jist shy of 350k and there are always little things to be adressed.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy
Limped home with oil waterfalling out of my ICP sensor. Got it in the shop and it looks like the generic SCT 50HP tow tune I was running was holding the ICP at something ridiculous like 5000psi and literally destroyed the sensor and was pushing oil out the sensor hole at a rate of about a quart every 40 miles. We're ordering up custom tunes already to test that the psi issue gets fixed, but has anybody ever heard of that happening with other rigs? It's a shame, because the Ex was towing like an absolute monster over the pass back home from the beach. I drive this big guy hard, but I don't think I push him to any limits he should be able to withstand considering all the work we just did to him.

Just when you think you have it all taken care of, something else comes up. She is looking good! Hope you get the pressure issue figured out.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Just when you think you have it all taken care of, something else comes up. She is looking good! Hope you get the pressure issue figured out.
I have faith in my guys at Ranaway - They'll do right by me, I know it. From the short conversation I had, it wasn't looking like the usual 6.0 issues they have in their shop every day. We've been through 2 OEM ICPs in a week, but they'll keep trying until we get it right. Once I get this sorted out I get to root cause a vibration I get at 60MPH+ - I'm thinking my drivelines got unbalanced when I swapped all the non-greasables for greasables, but it could be tires unbalanced or bad balljoints or what-have-you - Always something with this big guy! =)

Other than the leak the thing is running like a BEAST though, which makes me feel really good. I pulled all the hills to and from the beach real hard to see how the temps went with the new air oil cooler and 7.3 fan clutch - Highest temps I hit was 201/207 coolant/oil and that was a 3/4 mile climb east of Long Beach WA from a stand-still at the intersection at the bottom and by the top I was doing 70MPH and totally dusted the rest of traffic that was heading up the hill expecting to pass me in the passing lane. As soon as the rig normalized at the top, BOOM, temps plummeted right back down to about 188/182. It was fantastic. Then I found my oil problem at the rest stop shortly after LOL

Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Havent been on the forums lately, gave my 03 Honda Civic runabout to the Bil (oh yeah, I got married in Dec) and now buzzing around in an 07 Honda Element. fun little drive and very useful in a utilitarian sort of way. The Ex sees only about 5-6K miles per year now. But she got a full clay bar and wax job this past weekend.

To all our southern coastal friends, stay safe

Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cleaned up a little in the valley, and decided to order a passenger's side fuel line. It has a spot in it that could be either a slight pressure depression caused by the clamp being misaligned, or it could be highly polished wear/abraision - no way to tell, so went with a new one due to the potential for grave issues if it is indeed wear.

Disassembled the fuel bowl and got it sparkling clean. Rebuilt the HPOP fittings that go into the heads - looked like the spacer was going to be destroyed on installation, but it went shockingly well.

Waiting on parts now, I'll have the weekend to do some little things like re-seal the fuel bowl, clean up the engine wiring harness that's off right now, possibly install the new head unit, and maybe drop the tank to begin the Hutch/Harpoon mod.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:32 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User

accessed the steering gear but cutting back a section on the wheel well.. im going to drill holes and ziptie it back in place ( like my old race car days.

acces after the plastic was pulled back

new reman unit. ill install it during my lunch tommorrow

Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 AM
dleavitt
Freshman User
So I'm afraid my V10 may have spit a spark plug. I just had it in to an exhaust shop to get all the manifold studs replaced, and on the drive back I heard a light ticking noise (which was masked by exhaust leaks before). A little searching hear indicated that could be due to a loose spark plug, so I parked it until I have some time to check it out. In the meantime, my Dad borrowed it (with my permission, had kinda forgot about the spark plug issue) and it is definitely making a big exhaust leak type sound now. When it spits a plug, is there an obvious visual indication? I looked under the hood and all the COPs seem to be in the right place.

The other possibility is that one of the exhaust connections didn't get tightened down by the shop and worked itself loose over 30 miles or so.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dleavitt
... it is definitely making a big exhaust leak type sound now. When it spits a plug, is there an obvious visual indication?
Think about your question brother, if a cylinder head spits a spark plug, which has a wired in COP attached to the top of the plug, don't you think there would be physical evidence of something like that when you pop the hood and survey the damage in the engine compartment? For some people, they even have a damaged hood from the plug impacting the underside of the hood.

Stop driving the rig until you can pull all the COP's and check each plug for tightness.

Stewart

Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM
dleavitt
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Think about your question brother, if a cylinder head spits a spark plug, which has a wired in COP attached to the top of the plug, don't you think there would be physical evidence of something like that when you pop the hood and survey the damage in the engine compartment? For some people, they even have a damaged hood from the plug impacting the underside of the hood.

Stop driving the rig until you can pull all the COP's and check each plug for tightness.

Stewart
In my defense it was 4AM this morning and I was pissed.

Didn't know how much drama I would be able to see, with the COPs bolted down and all. Sounds like it should be pretty obvious. Truck is parked for now, might be able to get to it next weekend.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dleavitt
In my defense it was 4AM this morning and I was pissed.
Now THAT was a great answer!

Didn't know how much drama I would be able to see, with the COPs bolted down and all. Sounds like it should be pretty obvious. Truck is parked for now, might be able to get to it next weekend.
It will be obvious just from the open exhaust sound coming from the popped plug. It's an obnoxious sound that is easily recognized. I popped one on my Lightning and when you actually hear the plug get launched (loud bang) and the immediate raw exhaust sound that follows, you almost intuitively know what happened.

Stewart

PS - When it happened to me, I was stopped, engine at idle, waiting to pull onto the road from the parking lot. Just after throttle tip in, to pull onto the road, the plug tried to escape gravity and make orbit.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Ordered some stainless vac lines for the ESOF as step one of troubleshoot/repair.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Got the new meats on Rudolph finally. Had them since May.

Attachment 261861

No more BFG All-Terrain tires for either of my trucks! They used to make a good tire and used to have a warranty behind it, but not anymore.

Cooper makes good tires AND offers their warranty, they'll continue to get my business.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the resealed HPOP installed on the truck, and the fuel bowl resealed with FRx installed. Waiting for lines/fittings to install the bowl. Maybe HPx and up pipes tomorrow afternoon, turbo pedestal if it won't interfere with replacing the passenger's side fuel fitting at the head.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Turbo pedestal won't interfere with passenger side line install. The spider will, though, so don't put that in till you are done.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?