What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Could one of you guys post a link ?
This is the one I picked up. The ability to run Torque Pro on the dash without another screen was the dealmaker for me. That, and unless there is something new out there I'm unaware of, tablet GPS is way ahead of anything packaged - so you can run whatever you want on it. I have Navigon already, it has offline mapping and nav so remote isn't a problem. I wanted to try something with Apple Car Play, but I really don't use enough functions on my phone anyways... some "hey Siri" stuff and sending music to the head unit will do just fine for me. I don't even use the handsfree option on my current setup in the GMC.

eBay Excursion Radio

Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Front passenger side rocker towards the front seam on the bottom. Will be putting my new wand sprayer to work soon with oil!

Makes me sick. I want to look for a new X out of texas now.
gotta be carfull of the texas flood vehicles, NorCal and AZ is still a good bet though.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:57 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yeah, that's all Greek to me, hence me emailing Bob and asking what I needed to order.

If I can find it, I still have the black spring from my Riffraff kit if you ever wanna try it out, since they are pretty easy to swap out.

Stewart
hook a brotha up

its simple AN stuff ( Army Navy airplane junk ) - or “Dash” is the size Each digit is 1/16 so -4 equals 4/16 or 1/4”
O.R.B. Just means O Ring Boss meaning the seal is done by the O-ring
NPT means National Pipe Thread, meaning the threads are tapered and the wedge of the taper does the sealing ...you know.....Plummer junk

easy peasy

Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

gotta be carfull of the texas flood vehicles
Long as there is no rust! lol

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
This is the one I picked up. The ability to run Torque Pro on the dash without another screen was the dealmaker for me. That, and unless there is something new out there I'm unaware of, tablet GPS is way ahead of anything packaged - so you can run whatever you want on it. I have Navigon already, it has offline mapping and nav so remote isn't a problem. I wanted to try something with Apple Car Play, but I really don't use enough functions on my phone anyways... some "hey Siri" stuff and sending music to the head unit will do just fine for me. I don't even use the handsfree option on my current setup in the GMC.

eBay Excursion Radio
jailbreak + carbridge = so much more functional apple carplay

Old 08-30-2018, 09:25 AM
RCB1125
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New X owner. 2000, 7.3 4x4, 246k. It's very clean but a few items need attention. Replaced the lift gate struts and got some remotes for the doors. Next up is a new exhaust.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know. Maybe I'm not letting it fully sink in how much better my life would be if I were running apps on the head unit... I just can't think of any Apple apps that I'd use on the dash other than Navigon. I'm all about device integration and technology convergence, but I guess I don't use my technology to the fullest.

What does carbridge allow one to do that is indespensible or just that much better on the head unit than on the phone? The uses of technology are limited only by the imagination, what are you dreamin' about?

Old 08-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
I bought the ebay radio and the service from the seller is great.

Hardware wise the unit fits the dash perfectly. I mounted the antennas on the trim panel inside the dash just above the center vents with 2 sided tape. The connectors work perfectly for the DVD and speakers. The backup camera cable he sent me was too short, I think I used a 25 or 30' cable, he supplied me with a correct cable. The steering wheel controls work fine. The screen is a little smaller than I like but it may be more my eyesight. The microphone is easy to run.

Installing the backup camera takes some You-Tube video watching and creative cable routing as there are no instructions. I did splice into the backup light wiring in the back of my fuse block to tell the unit when to turn on. I ran the cable through the body drain under the drivers floor pan, along the frame and through the frame to get around the fuel tank. I spliced power for the back up camera from the back up light bulb pigtail. The backup camera has been a god send when hooking up the Pro-Pride!

The Android OS takes some getting use to. I hooked it to my home wifi and it took a ton of updates. I have tried different offline map programs and am using one from Europe. I tried Waze and removed it because it required a data connection. There are so many small settings in the system it takes hours to get to learn it. I have been using Android Phones for years so that helps.

Don't expect this system to behave like a Ford Sync system, it does not. The Sync is easier and more intuitive but the ebay system works and does its job. Just be ready for some hiccups and control complaints. I do wish it had voice controls like my Fusion's Sync system.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:49 AM
dethpulse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnus E

I feel your pain because the same happened for me today. Scheduled an appointment with the rust doctor for surgery on Sep 10. Full undercarriage treatment and all rust will be cured.

Driver side rear door rocker - don’t know how I missed this. But it isn’t showing just opening the door as you stand up.
What rust doc are you taking her to? I want to fully treat the rust on mine and need to find a good place to re mediate and rust proof. Any idea about how much $$$?

Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I bought the ebay radio and the service from the seller is great.

Hardware wise the unit fits the dash perfectly. I mounted the antennas on the trim panel inside the dash just above the center vents with 2 sided tape. The connectors work perfectly for the DVD and speakers. The backup camera cable he sent me was too short, I think I used a 25 or 30' cable, he supplied me with a correct cable. The steering wheel controls work fine. The screen is a little smaller than I like but it may be more my eyesight. The microphone is easy to run.

Installing the backup camera takes some You-Tube video watching and creative cable routing as there are no instructions. I did splice into the backup light wiring in the back of my fuse block to tell the unit when to turn on. I ran the cable through the body drain under the drivers floor pan, along the frame and through the frame to get around the fuel tank. I spliced power for the back up camera from the back up light bulb pigtail. The backup camera has been a god send when hooking up the Pro-Pride!

The Android OS takes some getting use to. I hooked it to my home wifi and it took a ton of updates. I have tried different offline map programs and am using one from Europe. I tried Waze and removed it because it required a data connection. There are so many small settings in the system it takes hours to get to learn it. I have been using Android Phones for years so that helps.

Don't expect this system to behave like a Ford Sync system, it does not. The Sync is easier and more intuitive but the ebay system works and does its job. Just be ready for some hiccups and control complaints. I do wish it had voice controls like my Fusion's Sync system.
I added a 3G/4G dongle to my HU, using TING.com as the carrier (TMobile). I've had three $16 bills and one $26 bill as they charge for the data used, not a fixed fee/amount. This way I can use Waze whenever I want and not have to turn on my phone's HotSpot every time I get in the Ex. I have my phone set to connect to the HU's BlueTooth and use the "ReadItToMe Upgrade (ReadItToMe - read
sms
, voice reply, handsfree)" app that is free to test but then cost $2.79 to unlock. Totally worth it for me. You have things on the phone read out loud over the HU (you set how much or how little is said). I've installed Torque Pro, PRO-version (RV Parks & Campgrounds) ($6.99), GasBuddy, CAT Scale Locator and Weigh My Truck, RV Parks & Campgrounds, Google Calendar, Giant clock, aCar - Car Management, Mileage by Fuelly, LLC, and I'm sure a couple of others.

Adding your Google calendar (which I use on my PC and phone) on your HU lets you pull info like phone #'s, addresses, etc and then the HU will call (via your bluetooth connected cell phone) or open your GPS (Waze) program with the address. I guess you can add the Google Assistant to the HU so you can "OK Google" it like you can on your Android phone or use Siri, I have not.

I do not stream to my HU over my 3G/4G dongle so as to not use up and be charged for the data. I can turn it off or unplug the dongle and use WiFi if it's available. As mentioned, it's not perfect and has its issues. It's not Ford Sync or the Apple CarPlay, but for me, it cost a lot less and as its a glorified Android Tablet, I can do a lot with it. I did not use the one from eBay but got one with a slightly larger screen that requires you to remove the recessed lip in the factory radio opening along with the Metra install kits. I piped in my XM Radio audio through my backup camera Audio Ports, so I simply choose the back up camera to start the audio and then go to something else like Giant Clock or Waze if I do not want to watch the rear view along with the XM Radio. The XM Radio will continue to play as long as I do not choose another audio input like the radio app.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
I don't know. Maybe I'm not letting it fully sink in how much better my life would be if I were running apps on the head unit... I just can't think of any Apple apps that I'd use on the dash other than Navigon. I'm all about device integration and technology convergence, but I guess I don't use my technology to the fullest.

What does carbridge allow one to do that is indespensible or just that much better on the head unit than on the phone? The uses of technology are limited only by the imagination, what are you dreamin' about?
navigation other than crap apple maps, or anything else you can run on the phone

I occasionally use it for netflix.,,.. but mostly google maps

Old 08-30-2018, 09:40 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Installed new Bilstein 5100's front and rear. Had standard Bilsteins but they were beginning to wear after 10 years of towing. The ride is a lot better now. By putting them on a bathroom scale and pressing them down, It looks like they were about 60% of what the new ones have in compression. Not gone totally, but bad enough to be worthless.

Glad I did it. The tires would have a bounce on road irregularities that was driving me nuts. The ride had suffered greatly.

Looks like towing the trailer to the campsite will be a lot nicer tomorrow. I was like a frog in water on the stove. The shocks got worse, but I was just adapting to them and not noticing until it was real bad.
I also replaced the front jounce bumpers. Well, what was left of the old ones, anyway. The rubber was all gone.

Also took it in to Pep Boys for a tire rotation. Since they do it for free, I figured it was much better than me working. 30 min out the door. Time well spent.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
You learn something new about the 7.3 everyday Learnt/reminded of an important lesson when not having done the hutch mod. This has been a crazy week at work and didn't stop to fill up when the EX was down to 1/4 tank like I always do. But, I was really glad that the EX died on the street that I live on. Only have a 5 gal can. Since I was standing on an incline on the street, I had to make a couple of trips with the wife's car to get the fuel level up for the pickup to get a steady amount. After dropping ~15 gallons in there, primed the fuel pump a few times, before it started up and did the classic diesel romp. After letting it sit for a few min romping on the street, took it to the gas station and filled up to the brim and then drove it for ~25 miles. The first few miles, it ran crappy, continued a little more of the romp, lacked boost, gas pedal felt very irresponsive etc. Once all the air was out of the fuel lines, it was then running just as nice as before.

Thanks to @Nicmike for the timely guidance!!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
While up camping I drove my X for about 30 miles after the overhead said "0 miles left", the fuel gauge was way below E (a needle and half width below the hash mark), the furthest I have ever pushed it.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
While up camping I drove my X for about 30 miles after the overhead said "0 miles left", the fuel gauge was way below E (a needle and half width below the hash mark), the furthest I have ever pushed it.
are the diesel fuel gauges as bad as the gassers?
Full to 3/4 = 7gallons
3/4 to 1/2 = 10 gallons
1/2 to 1/4 = 11 gallons
1/4 to 1/8 = 6 gallons
1/8 to Empty = last 10 gallons
i usually refill at 1/8 tank and every time it is 33-34gal leaving 10 in the tank. Granted I never have nor want to run a vehicle empty, i just wish it was more accurate,

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?