Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 08-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kai Herrmann View Post
Here ya go:
take any night shots yet??? I really hate the beam pattern and overall light ouput of the '03 style lights i put on mine last fall

Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 PM
unleashd
Posting Guru
unleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud ofunleashd has much to be proud of
Replaced both front wheel hub bearings and end links on the front sway bar.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:46 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Found out why the washers don't work, rats chewed the hoses in the engine bay. I have some hard plastic lines to replace them but that's a job for another day.

Checked out the location for the rear-view/backup camera, and routing for the wiring. Bought a cheapie rear view mirror to graft the picture-in-mirror front and rear dash cam/backup cam, and figured out power. Taking the overhead console out and doing the wiring run is another job for another day.

While checking out the backup camera location, I discovered the rear window is leaking at the top. Bonus!

Installed red LEDs in all the interior courtesy/map lights. Night vision is a terrible thing to waste.

While pulling fuses to find the right one to kill the interior lights, I discovered rusty fuses on the bottom row - meaning a probably rusty GEM - so, extra bonus!

Woo hoo!!!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 PM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to beholdJaySVX is a splendid one to behold
Found out my rear heater lines are leaking. this sucks.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 AM
travs66
Senior User
travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Replaced my steering column...finally.

Some time ago (months & months) I got a "new" steering column as an internal piece in mine was broken. I could spin the ignition in a 360 and nothing would happen. It looked like I was hot wiring it every time I got in to start it .

I read through a couple of threads in the tech folder, which helped, and then I dove right in.

The pic below shows the different clock springs. The donor is on the left. I had to swap that out along with the turn signal assembly and the electronics for the ignition itself. The other pic shows the only real difference with the columns. It is where the gear shift cable hooks to. The donor had the slot facing to the side while the original had it facing up. I have not noticed an issue with it at all though. Installation was reverse of uninstalling and all is right with using the key to start her up again.

Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Installed (well, okay, threw it on the dash) the new dash mat. I thought it would be darker, but it will do.

Installed a couple more red LEDs in the interior. Just waiting for a few more to come in.

Removed the passenger side battery, tray, and washer reservoir to get to the rat-chewed washer lines. Patched a new line into the chewed section - the entire passenger's side of the engine bay. Got the windshield section done, but I can't find where the liftgate washer goes... Mr. Rat ate that all the way out of sight.

Started on the ugly steering wheel rehab project. It will probably go through a number of versions before I'm happy with it.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 PM
ShelbyHauler
Senior User
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
Installed (well, okay, threw it on the dash) the new dash mat. I thought it would be darker, but it will do.

Installed a couple more red LEDs in the interior. Just waiting for a few more to come in.

Removed the passenger side battery, tray, and washer reservoir to get to the rat-chewed washer lines. Patched a new line into the chewed section - the entire passenger's side of the engine bay. Got the windshield section done, but I can't find where the liftgate washer goes... Mr. Rat ate that all the way out of sight.

Started on the ugly steering wheel rehab project. It will probably go through a number of versions before I'm happy with it.

I did mine like this, got the cover off Amazon.
Awakingdemi Universal Car Steering Wheel Cover DIY Genuine Leather Cowhide Stitch On Wrap with Needles (Beige) Awakingdemi Universal Car Steering Wheel Cover DIY Genuine Leather Cowhide Stitch On Wrap with Needles (Beige)
Unfortunately the Beige is currently out of stock and the link goes to the black one.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:11 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Great looking dash you have there, Shelby! And I think that's the best job I've seen on a wheel skin, as well. May I ask what head unit that is?

I was looking at the leather kits, but I was bored. I became obsessed with all things paracord and desert camo while visiting the Grand Land of Sand. I had some paracord, it matched the colors on the truck, and I had a beer, a Sunday afernoon... Figured it would be a bit unique.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:47 PM
ShelbyHauler
Senior User
ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a very good reputation on FTE.
I got a different one from Amazon,
EinCar 7 Inch Car Stereo Android 7.1 2GB 32GB Head Unit Double Din Octa Core Car Audio GPS Navigation Bluetooth EinCar 7 Inch Car Stereo Android 7.1 2GB 32GB Head Unit Double Din Octa Core Car Audio GPS Navigation Bluetooth
, followed https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1521519-double-din-install.html and used a metra install kit and wire harness. Research helped me find the steering control on the other factory radio plug. My overhead DVD was a non-working aftermarket which I removed and as noted elsewhere, the rear console controls will not work with an aftermarket radio. My only complaint is that sometimes Waze will get stuck and I have to use the pinhole on the front of the radio to do a hard reboot of the HU. I keep a standard stick pen in the center console for this. You can share data from your phone or I purchased a USB powered hotspot dongle and use TING as my sim/cell provider for DATA only. My bill is between $16-$26 a month for the data. No voice, no TXT, and then you only pay for the data you use. https://ting.com/rates

Old 08-20-2018, 05:38 AM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post

Ha..!!! I thought I was the only one who did the dash carpet mat. None of my friends like it, but I do.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion View Post
Ha..!!! I thought I was the only one who did the dash carpet mat. None of my friends like it, but I do.
I got in the habit of using them on new cars in Florida and the desert southwest to keep the dash from getting excessive sun exposure and suffering the effects, and on used cars to cover an already damaged dash with some of the crap people stick or screw to them. Mechanical damage aside, I'm not sure they're as necessary now as they once were, as materials seem to have come a long way.

I still like covers nowadays not to hide a cracked dash (it's perfect on the X) or to protect it (after 16 years in Arizona, I think it's either impervious or petrified). I like dash mats because carpet reduces the glare onto the windshield from overhead lights at night. Black would have been my preference, but I thought it would look out of place. The taupe looked like a dark olive online (was the next best option, in my opinion, sort of matched the darker portions of the dash) but ended up being mostly beige. <shrug>

Another advantage... one could, if so inclined, mount a radar detector under there and it would be almost completely undetectable to both law enforcement and potential thieves. The carpet has virtually zero impact on microwave energy in that application.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:34 PM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
My dash cover was added to rid some of the overwhelming Graphite Grey in the truck. In my own thread somewhere in the abyss, I did the seats in a two tone grey and blue leather, along with a blue headliner. Was all done to match the boat colors that it tows. I've been in the service industry for the last 28 years, and every service truck interior is usually "Grey", I've seen enough all grey by now.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM
rdinmv
Senior User
rdinmv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went from 16's to 20's 20x9 with 275/65/20's

Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Did the windshield wiper size increase "mod"

Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by rdinmv View Post
I went from 16's to 20's 20x9 with 275/65/20's
I like those wheels!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.