Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Drain it, drop the pan and check the magnet. I found a feed bolt on the magnet in mine right after buying it. I put it back in and went another 50k miles before the tranny died.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 PM
housedad
Postmaster
housedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputation
Some parts came in.

Gibson side sweep stainless exhaust and a couple of Exhaust hanger brackets. Still waiting for one other bracket to come in.

New OEM front axle bumpers. one is shredded bad and the other one is gone after 100k miles.

A new OEM shift on the fly hose set. This is the hose that feeds from the vacuum solenoid to the hub lines. Mine is getting a couple of slight surface crazes. I figure it's best to buy it now while it is still around and have it for when I need it

Used replacement Fuel tank Skid came via truck freight from Texas. . Very light surface rust here and there and easily taken care of. I'm making a thread about this now. Should be up late tonight.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Drain it, drop the pan and check the magnet. I found a feed bolt on the magnet in mine right after buying it. I put it back in and went another 50k miles before the tranny died.
thats the best report i have heard about the feed bolts. It is gonna be a few weeks before i get to it due to this family trip and then traveling for work. 50k is like 5+ years for our usage, but i would be happy with until next summer.

Otherwise im looking at a rebuild or maybe one sitting in a warehouse from an f450 w/ 51k on it. Car-part says it is an interchange but i planned to call on it.

I wish i had known about this issue last fall when i dropped the pan after buying it, i would have checked it then

Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
96firephoenix
Elder User
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Addressed some suspension issues, both front sway bar links and the steering stabilizer were gacked. Made a huge improvement on the steering wander and body roll.

Also replaced some broken mirror glass, courtesy of Army Lifer... and quickly broke the new DS blind spot glass. At least it's less badly broken than the one I took out?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM
XS-SUV
Freshman User
XS-SUV is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced the OEM steering stabilizer with a Bilstein and it really tightened up the steering play ..
So much so, that my wife will even consider driving it again...
On a recent trip back to our house, I told her she should drive, because I was tired, and she relented, and
drove for awhile....
She finally admitted that the steering stabilizer really helped ....
SOO!! There you have it....MY WIFE said so !!!!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Rudolph has been down since the end of May due to needing a steering box and ball joints. Yesterday I finally had the time to install the new steering box and fired him up after him sitting for almost two months. Got a small power steering leak, but just need to make a few adjustments and he'll be back on the road!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM
05MilMachine
Posting Guru
05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future

tired of the ever peeling chrome on the factory 05 grille so thought I would try something different. Not sure I like it yet. Haven't been on here much as I only drove it 3000 miles a year for the past two years. I did have one episode of overfilling the trans which waited until I towed in 106 degree heat to puke out the excess... Other than that this thing just keeps running.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM
sddesigns
sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine View Post

tired of the ever peeling chrome on the factory 05 grille so thought I would try something different. Not sure I like it yet. Haven't been on here much as I only drove it 3000 miles a year for the past two years. I did have one episode of overfilling the trans which waited until I towed in 106 degree heat to puke out the excess... Other than that this thing just keeps running.
Nice grille!

Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
wallz
Postmaster
wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Recently added some 315/75/16's on the stock rims.

new 315 rubber

Got to replace the front set of shocks with new warranty shocks. Thanks rancho. Remember to keep all your receipts for major purchases as this one is 9 years and paid off.

9 year ranchos, started to leak

new from rancho, free, to warranty old shocks

Also sat on the fence for years on a dual stabilizer. The singles I kept using were lasting about 1 year, and upgraded with bigger tires, so needed to do something. Sat on the fence on the 05+ dual stabilizer set ups (these are all cheaper than the 99-04, and sit higher)
Well I pulled the trigger on the BDS dual set up for 05+. Fit was great, as I suspected. The smaller u bolts are tight on the 02 steering arms, but still work.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Matt M, PA
Posting Guru
Matt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to all
I didn't do much to the Ex today, but did try something. (It's been crazy at our house the last few days as some other critter must've come to our back window...and now my two cats can't be together. I think it's called mis-directed aggression and it's apparently common....just need to wait it out...but it's a mess....)

Anyhow, for those of us with trim that is turning grey, etc....I may have fund something that will help. I wanted to make my running boards look better and tried and dye product that didn't work. At the Carlisle Chrysler show, one of the detailing supply vendors recommended a Griot's Garage product...Black Shine Trim Restorer. I wiped one corner clean with alcohol...and gave it a light coat. Looks great...and doesn't seem to be slippery. I'll keep you all in the loop.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM
05MilMachine
Posting Guru
05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA View Post
I didn't do much to the Ex today, but did try something. (It's been crazy at our house the last few days as some other critter must've come to our back window...and now my two cats can't be together. I think it's called mis-directed aggression and it's apparently common....just need to wait it out...but it's a mess....)

Anyhow, for those of us with trim that is turning grey, etc....I may have fund something that will help. I wanted to make my running boards look better and tried and dye product that didn't work. At the Carlisle Chrysler show, one of the detailing supply vendors recommended a Griot's Garage product...Black Shine Trim Restorer. I wiped one corner clean with alcohol...and gave it a light coat. Looks great...and doesn't seem to be slippery. I'll keep you all in the loop.

I haven't tried griots. Let us know how it holds up. I use a product called "solution finish" in my detailing business. It works amazingly well and for many months without needing reapplied.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
xrsfsho has a good reputation on FTE.xrsfsho has a good reputation on FTE.xrsfsho has a good reputation on FTE.
well, driving to with my 3 little kids last night, on my way to get our two older kids my HPOP hpse on the passanger side decided to give. ended up spraying oil everywhere and the engine costed to a stop. had to have my budy with his dodge tow it back to the house. have the new lines on their way. so after some archery hunting sunday morning i will be installing the new hoses and a crossover.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
After the hose popped on my daughters F250 last year, I replaced all the HPOP hoses on all the 7.3L rigs in the family, as preventive maintenance.

Stewart

Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
After the hose popped on my daughters F250 last year, I replaced all the HPOP hoses on all the 7.3L rigs in the family, as preventive maintenance.

Stewart
My original passenger side hose popped Summer 2016. I think I even posted about it. The new and improved ones are best practice.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by xrsfsho View Post
well, driving to with my 3 little kids last night, on my way to get our two older kids my HPOP hpse on the passanger side decided to give. ended up spraying oil everywhere and the engine costed to a stop. had to have my budy with his dodge tow it back to the house. have the new lines on their way. so after some archery hunting sunday morning i will be installing the new hoses and a crossover.
Skip the crossover, if you haven't ordered it already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.