Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion View Post
You were once able to buy charge cans of 134A with oil included in retail stores. They may or may not still be avail.
Have your shop add more leak dye while you're in there.
what i was thinking too, some just kept topping off with 134a+oil, only reason i could think of, no wonder the performance sucked

i think he usually puts in dye anyway, but will double check.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post

How were the 2 hoses branching off the lower hose going to the oil filter where they touch the cross member? I recall mine being 1/2 worn thru.

i cut up the old hose and slipped it over the new so at least there is a lot more material/ sacrificial material

Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM
housedad
Postmaster
housedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputation
Wow, Sean. I just looked at mine and they don't touch. There were no rub marks on my old one. I did the hose changes as part of preventative 100,000 mile service/checkup.

As far as the comb. I have two types. One for dirty quick and very light straightening, and another for when I want it to end up perfect.

I got the quick and crude one at Home Depot. The links below are the ones I have.

Quick and dirty

For work I care about. For work I care about.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post

i cut up the old hose and slipped it over the new so at least there is a lot more material/ sacrificial material

Thx, I did some similar protection when I put in the new hose also, but I see even that protection wearing thin.

Thx Bion for the link.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
96firephoenix
Elder User
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Shoutout to Discount tires direct.. I placed my order at 1230 yesterday, and my tires showed up at 0900 today.

Originally Posted by 01__Excursion View Post
You were once able to buy charge cans of 134A with oil included in retail stores. They may or may not still be avail.
Have your shop add more leak dye while you're in there.
Last I saw, you could buy refill cans with dye and with oil. Not sure if you can still get the ones with dye and oil anymore.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:03 AM
housedad
Postmaster
housedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputationhousedad has a superb reputation
It seems to not stop. The truck hit 100k miles, and it is being petulant. It wants a whole bunch of new stuff. If you saw my post above, you know I just gave it some maintenance. Well, I guess it was not satisfied with just that, and it wants even more. Now the fuel pump has said it's last goodbye.

So, I naturally ordered a fuel pump from Rockauto. (Delphi FG0824) Of course, I can't just drop the tank and leave it at that. NOOOOOO WAY. I have a new hitch sitting in the garage that I might as well install at the same time, along with a new OEM plug and bracket with harness. I bought these back in 2011 and have had them sitting around as spares ever since. And, while I'm at it, I decided that the fuel filler line was getting kind of corroded so it would be good to replace that, too. So I ordered one from Rockauto.. Not to leave well enough alone, and being a masochist, I'll sand and paint the tank shield at the same time.

Sometimes it just makes sense to do all of the jobs at once to save time and work. But you see, Zombie crusher knows that if it had a bad fuel pump, it would get me off my butt and end up doing all these wonderful things. That truck has a very mercenary personality. I think that it has been taking lessons from my wife.....

Old 06-09-2018, 08:21 PM
carbon coupe
Posting Guru
carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.
So, I spent some time on the EX today. Cleaned up the mess from removing the oil cooler yesterday...and of course, it rained so although I was on a creeper, my pant legs were soaked. This oil cooler job is not fun. Its a complete mess and as it turns out, only half my leak issue.

The other half is the dipstick adapter. I know it held oil for many years and many miles but I still think its a horrible design. Thanks Ford. Anyway, I cleaned up the area a bit and after the fun I had with the cooler, I decided to give a turn to see how much I could tighten it....without ruining it. Got about a half turn. We'll see if it holds out for a while. I know the o'ring inside is done and I actually found one, on a Saturday. Got a new dipstick tube and o'ring as well. Anyway, I was surfing the web for fixes and found vids of people using a bore brush to hold the inner part, changing the oring and adding a gasket. I also found the Driven Diesel aluminum part. Anyone here use one? Seems a bit pricey ($300) but pulling the oil pan is 8-1100 clams at a shop.

Anyway, putting the coolant back in tomorrow and going to hose off the under-guts. I'll monitor leakage and maybe look into having my machinist make something.

Have a good Sunday!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:42 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
agsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to beholdagsmv1 is a splendid one to behold
I did 85% of this today!! Blower motor was acting funny last year on the way back from TX, so I figured I would do some maintenance. This job is a complete pain...Started at 12 and did not finish, but I have grape ape hands so was a little tough for me to get access to some of the bolts. Also my 2003 is a little different for access so caused some issues. Just gotta get the bottom 2, blower motor and the connections and then on to the next project. Radiator, hoses, and intercooler are waiting in the garage. Big shout out to the members that led to the making of this video!!

Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
I'm planning to change oil tomorrow. Had to move it last night to get the motorhome moved.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by carbon coupe View Post
So, I spent some time on the EX today. Cleaned up the mess from removing the oil cooler yesterday...and of course, it rained so although I was on a creeper, my pant legs were soaked. This oil cooler job is not fun. Its a complete mess and as it turns out, only half my leak issue.

The other half is the dipstick adapter. I know it held oil for many years and many miles but I still think its a horrible design. Thanks Ford. Anyway, I cleaned up the area a bit and after the fun I had with the cooler, I decided to give a turn to see how much I could tighten it....without ruining it. Got about a half turn. We'll see if it holds out for a while. I know the o'ring inside is done and I actually found one, on a Saturday. Got a new dipstick tube and o'ring as well. Anyway, I was surfing the web for fixes and found vids of people using a bore brush to hold the inner part, changing the oring and adding a gasket. I also found the Driven Diesel aluminum part. Anyone here use one? Seems a bit pricey ($300) but pulling the oil pan is 8-1100 clams at a shop.

Anyway, putting the coolant back in tomorrow and going to hose off the under-guts. I'll monitor leakage and maybe look into having my machinist make something.

Have a good Sunday!
Maybe I should have looked at it closer when I had it out of our work truck, that sob better not start leaking! It does have a good coat of por-15 all over it now so it might be sealed for life. lol

I have seen people stick a wire in threw the dipstick hole to hold everything up while they work. I personally would probably hold up the assembly, undo the nut, brake clean everything (with drain plug out), then blow it all out with compressed air, RTV (the good gray stuff) it and put the nut back on.

Its whats used on the pan seal, not much different with the dipstick.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation

Old 06-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Jagtec1
Freshman User
Jagtec1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New trailer hitch, transmission filter/flush before our camping trip next weekend. The hitch was a giant PITA due to the shear bolts!

Old 06-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Originally Posted by agsmv1 View Post
I did 85% of this today!! Blower motor was acting funny last year on the way back from TX, so I figured I would do some maintenance. This job is a complete pain...Started at 12 and did not finish, but I have grape ape hands so was a little tough for me to get access to some of the bolts. Also my 2003 is a little different for access so caused some issues. Just gotta get the bottom 2, blower motor and the connections and then on to the next project. Radiator, hoses, and intercooler are waiting in the garage. Big shout out to the members that led to the making of this video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqFf7tP7Nfw
gonna have to remember that one. if i had know about it i would have done it while the system was disconnected and my accumulator was out...

cheaper at a subaru dealer, but this stuff actually works quite well,
Amazon Amazon
expanding cleaner foam

Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Matt M, PA
Posting Guru
Matt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to allMatt M, PA is a name known to all
Well, yesterday did a quick clean-up under the hood. Have never done it before....but it wasn't that bad. I painted the wiper arms and cowl pieces a couple weeks ago.

I also got a product called "Forever Black" that I hoped would work on the running boards. It doesn't. Back to the drawing board with that. I want to find something better than applying a dressing all the time.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
High Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud ofHigh Cetane has much to be proud of
Yesterday was my 1st chance at going over the Ex since back from paint. Took me all day to clean it up proper. Today, her 1st time out on the new asphalt.
Now to get the work-truck clean so it can get rained on....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.