Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
The early EXs came with receiver hitches that were rated at 1k tongue weight and 10k trailer weight (with WD). Larter models have same exact hitches but with larger hitch to frame bolts and are rated at 1250 tongue and 12,500 trailer weight (WD). I replaced my hitch with a Torklift SuperHitch 20K that is rated at 2000 tongue and 20,000 trailer with WD, my 11k+ TT has a very heavy 1800+ lb tongue weight.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Oldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant future
Just a bolt upgrade to get to the higher hitch numbers, right Tom?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
The early EXs came with receiver hitches that were rated at 1k tongue weight and 10k trailer weight (with WD). Larter models have same exact hitches but with larger hitch to frame bolts and are rated at 1250 tongue and 12,500 trailer weight (WD). I replaced my hitch with a Torklift SuperHitch 20K that is rated at 2000 tongue and 20,000 trailer with WD, my 11k+ TT has a very heavy 1800+ lb tongue weight.
thanks! If i start towing heavy with it i will look into that.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Yes, just an upgraded to the larger, stronger bolts will give you the higher towing ratings, the hitches themselves and all year EX frames are all identical. Your Ford dealer should have the new bolt set, the earlier smaller bolts are no longer available if I recall correctly.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thats some good info might have to get me some new bolts too

Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM
ArmyLifer
Elder User
ArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to behold
Yes, just an upgraded to the larger, stronger bolts will give you the higher towing ratings, the hitches themselves and all year EX frames are all identical. Your Ford dealer should have the new bolt set, the earlier smaller bolts are no longer available if I recall correctly.
Anyone have part numbers for the stronger bolts?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:52 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post

Anyone have part numbers for the stronger bolts?
Not bolts but rivets. Protocol for replacing rivets is to go up one size if being replaced with a threaded fastener(s).

Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Rob, what are these rivets that you write about above?

Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
The hitch is riveted on or at least so I thought I read.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Robb, the factory hitch to frame fasteners are all bolts, but two of them (one each side) has a round head like a rivet to make removing the federally mandated rear crash protection hitch harder to remove.
Here are mine still in place just before being removed for the hitch replacement, the second from right is the round head bolt with a nut welded to it. I added that nut back when I dropped the tank the first time for a fuel pump replacement to make it much easier to remove later, and it was.

Here is the original hitch (now under Greenscoobie's EX) and the factory bolts.
http://imgur.com/VEQKjAP

And a closer picture of the factory bolts with some of the factory applied blue thread locker still on them.
http://imgur.com/EbMpPvY

Here are the two round head bolts with the new nuts welded onto them to make them easier to remove.
​​​​​​​http://imgur.com/A59R7bg

Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
My iPad and the latest forum update are not playing well together and I can't edit any of my prior posts, and I think I screwed up the links to three of the above pictures so I'll try again here.

​​​​​​​

Old 04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
Tom, thank you for the correction!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
do the new bolts look the same, just larger? is there a measurement or distinctive size difference?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
2 of my new to me King Ranch wheels cleaned up today. still need to sand the inner lip of one of these pair and completely clean all the crap off the other 2. will take a before/after tomorrow if i get to it.

plan is to just touch up the few spots of clear that are beginning to bubble on the face of each wheel and touch up any curb rash, and reclear the inner lips. otherwise going to leave them alone. would love to paint or preferrably powder coat them chamaleon because it would look awesome with my Dark Satin Green paint, but powder coat is just too much money since i have no way to bake an 18" wheel and shops around here want 165 per wheel. plus they are in pretty decent shape so don't really want to destroy factory finish. need to find something to fill in corrosion pitting before clear though

btw: subaru wheel pictured was painted/cleared by me 50k ago, only seen winter use and needs to be redone, again powder coat not much of an option but they are only 16's so could fit in a kitchen oven (garage oven? just need to find a cheap enough one...)

Old 04-03-2018, 11:13 PM
travs66
Senior User
travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.travs66 has a very good reputation on FTE.
About a week ago, maybe 2, I started having this weird noise coming from under the X. I couldn't figure out what it was nor where it was coming from. The noise would be there in the afternoon on the way to work but gone in the morning or there on a trip in the morning taking the kids to school and then would be gone again. Needless to say it was driving me bonkers!

Tonight I decided to take the truck to the street outside our neighborhood. My driveway is too steep to do what I planned and the HOA would pitch a fit anyway

I jacked up the rear and put it on stands and blocked the front tires. I rotated the rear tires but could not hear the noise. I checked the driveshaft and the u-joints were just fine. I put my daughter in the driver's seat and had her crank it up and put it in drive. I had her rev to about 1500 rpm and I walked from the driver's side to the back to the passenger side and nothing out of the ordinary. More

I got back to the house and decided that it must me isolated to the front wheels. I started with the driver's side and this is what I found...
Name:  photo17.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.76 MBName:  photo31.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.84 MB

I said to myself "self you have a small issue, that is not quite what the seals and bearings should look like!" After a trip to the parts store I started the reassembly and once I had the bearing assembly back in I realized I forgot the backing plate so back out comes the bearing assembly and on goes the plate. I get it all torqued down and then looked around and realized I forgot this...
Name:  photo637.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.66 MB

You guessed it, bearing assembly was removed...again. Got the thrust washer in and the rest of the assembly went fairly smooth.

Needless to say I'm now sitting in my driveway enjoying a cigar and laughing at myself for being such an idiot

Ah the joys of working on your own rig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.