Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:06 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
It did the exact opposite that it was suppose to do. Raised my EGTs, I had a longer throttle response and much much less power. Send it back, charge it back, and go after a KC Turbo or anything else.

The stage 1 powermax was the biggest thing I regret doing to the Excursion. It is now a paperweight until I have the funds to completely gut it and put a real quality parts in it's housing.
I ran it yesterday with stock tunes and barked 33’s in second gear and have a small high pressure oil leak to test still. That RiffRaff billet wheel for $199 wakes it up. Having Matt write custom tunes for it and my +30’s. The biggest thing I will tow with my Ex will be my buddies 26’ Mowdy Cat or my little Kubota tractor. My poling skiff is only 1200# so it doesn’t count.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
**** a doodle doo fellow excursion owners.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
**** a doodle doo fellow excursion owners.
How cold is it there? I just walked outside in shorts and flip flops down here. It’s a balmy 75 degrees.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
42 today lots of people without jackets on.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Bought a new little buddy for the Ex yesterday, a 2018 Fusion. We have 2 Fusions in the driveway now, a 2013 and 2018. I will drive the 2013 as my DD letting the 2005 Vibe become the kids car. The Vibe has 262,000 miles on it, if it survived me it can survive them. It will be nice to drive a car with more power.

I vacuumed out the Ex, wiped her down inside and checked her and the camper over prepping for the first camping trip this year next weekend.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

I ran it yesterday with stock tunes and barked 33’s in second gear and have a small high pressure oil leak to test still. That RiffRaff billet wheel for $199 wakes it up. Having Matt write custom tunes for it and my +30’s. The biggest thing I will tow with my Ex will be my buddies 26’ Mowdy Cat or my little Kubota tractor. My poling skiff is only 1200# so it doesn’t count.
Awesome. I glad it is working for you. If you do have any issues with it, Clay at Riffraff will call you a liar and will leave you SOL.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
First, I have to thank Craig (Oldguyfl) for inspiring me to even try something like this. I'm not in his league, but this has been a most worthwhile project and not a lot of investment. $400 ish

Finished the interior rehab, very pleased with how it came out. Not "like new", but pretty good for what I am working with. Front seats were completely disassembled and the cloth handwashed, smells like Tide instead of vague 18 yr old truck smell. Rear seats were thoroughly scrubbed as they are. Soundproofing added under the padding. Carpet came out nice enough, a couple wrinkles a good installer would get out, but I am satisfied. Not happy with the color I picked for the steering wheel cover. Sample looked OK, so I thought. Feels good at least.

Did the door seal mod using 1/4 silicone tubing. Back 2 doors are perfect. Front doors are too tight, might just take it back out of them.

Painted the black parts on the nose with Plastidip. The plastic up there was showing it's age.

Meanwhile it will sit for a couple more months.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by CarterKraft
Sold the X after two rear tire failures coming back from Branson. One of two things had to happen we get a lighter trailer or a bigger truck.

The trailer is staying.
Hoping the sellers remorse isn't too bad.
​​​​
Hate to see you go. Were you running load range E tires at 80 lbs with proper weight distribution?

Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by CarterKraft
Sold the X after two rear tire failures coming back from Branson. One of two things had to happen we get a lighter trailer or a bigger truck.

The trailer is staying.
Hoping the sellers remorse isn't too bad.
​​​​

How much bigger truck? Are you looking at a dually of something bigger?
What kind of rear axle weight did you have on the EX with the TH in tow? How old were the tires and what size brand were they? We're there any other factors that may have contributed to the failures?
My EX runs consistently over 6500lbs on the rear axle and has been good with that with Wranglers in the stock size, Conti that came on my 18"s and now the 35" Nitto Duras, all Load Range E of course.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
First, I have to thank Craig (Oldguyfl) for inspiring me to even try something like this. I'm not in his league, but this has been a most worthwhile project and not a lot of investment. $400 ish

Finished the interior rehab, very pleased with how it came out. Not "like new", but pretty good for what I am working with. Front seats were completely disassembled and the cloth handwashed, smells like Tide instead of vague 18 yr old truck smell. Rear seats were thoroughly scrubbed as they are. Soundproofing added under the padding. Carpet came out nice enough, a couple wrinkles a good installer would get out, but I am satisfied. Not happy with the color I picked for the steering wheel cover. Sample looked OK, so I thought. Feels good at least.

Did the door seal mod using 1/4 silicone tubing. Back 2 doors are perfect. Front doors are too tight, might just take it back out of them.

Painted the black parts on the nose with Plastidip. The plastic up there was showing it's age.

Meanwhile it will sit for a couple more months.
Looking Good !

Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
Finished rigging the seats and creating harnesses to tap into the factory wiring to get my factory add-on heated seats up and going just in time for summer!
I'm also tied into the proper designated fused circuits for the seat heating. This project started last April when I had the seats all redone, I ordered the last 2 of 3 OE seat cushions with installed heat from Ford, along with the heat pads for the seat-backs

Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Hate to see you go. Were you running load range E tires at 80 lbs with proper weight distribution?
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

How much bigger truck? Are you looking at a dually of something bigger?
What kind of rear axle weight did you have on the EX with the TH in tow? How old were the tires and what size brand were they? We're there any other factors that may have contributed to the failures?
My EX runs consistently over 6500lbs on the rear axle and has been good with that with Wranglers in the stock size, Conti that came on my 18"s and now the 35" Nitto Duras, all Load Range E of course.
​​​​​​
Yes load range E 18" Toyo Open Country A/T, 2 ish year olds under 10k miles @ cold 80 PSI.
The rear weight is under the tires capacity by several hundred pounds at the last scale of 5800 lbs on the rear axle.

These tires replaced similarly rated BFG T/A KO tires that failed similarly but catastrophically were as the Toyos never lost air just developed a vibration that I could feel. That's 4 rear tires in 4 years of RV ownership. The BFG's (my favorite tire ever a that moment) cost me over $7000 in body damage...

We are looking at '18 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 CC 6.7 trucks. Currently I spend a weekend or more pre-tripping for these longer RV camping trips and am just flat burned out from doing that and working on the truck on the side of the road. The whole Transmission ordeal didn't help either.

At this point I want to be able to enjoy the RV destination going to the mountains or the beaches without fear and anxiety of a 16 year old truck.
A Dually might be Overkill but I might end up putting a SXS in the bed and my dirt cycles in the TH garage so some extra payload and tires is welcome.

With weight bars engaged.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
That's with 1400lb bars and almost exactly that much transfer.

Both failed tires were not over temp at all compared to the other three, I check with infared gun at all stops.

The obvious cause of tire failure to me is the Oklahoma highways, our camping partner described it as a railroad track. He said it was not a road at all but a railroad repurposed as highway.

The steep grades in Arkansas were also not super enjoyable for me at this weight. Pulling up and down the grades with the 7.3 and 4 speed Transmission compared to my buddy with a 22k 45' 5er in his Duramax/Allison dually was no comparison.

I am ready for a exhaust braked, 6 speed transsed 450/935 6.7 house payment be damned lololol
​​​​​

Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man people taking out their carpets and cleaning them makes me want to do mine now!

My Sunday was spent jump starting my mustang, I guess it sat for too long in the cold or something. Also put on rear mud flaps on the Ex but don't have any photos.

Found On Road Dead. Both cars with their hoods up haha!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Some very nice folks over in the 6.7 section.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?