Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I'm in a bad mood today and found out I lost a friend yesterday so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. But if you don't like it, mind your own damn business! If you like something someone does GREAT! If you don't try to find something positive to say, if you have NOTHING positive to add, then just don't. This forum has typically been great because 99% of us are positive with people's trucks and try to find the positive in others posts. If your going to be a negative jack @ss just don't post, simple as that. Be a decent human being, do us all a favor and put the keyboard down.
dont be a negitive nancy russ. geez i guess you are having a bad day.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Russ.

In any case, here's what I found on ny.gov:

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.
41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

So it seems like white lights are ok in NY as long as they are dot legal of course. These lights aren't bright enough to blind anyone, they're just brighter then the average side marker light. Good for seeing the area next to the Ex at night when parked. I wanted to mod in some puddle lamps but I don't think I'll need to now.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
Sorry for your loss, Russ.

In any case, here's what I found on ny.gov:

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.
41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

So it seems like white lights are ok in NY as long as they are dot legal of course. These lights aren't bright enough to blind anyone, they're just brighter then the average side marker light. Good for seeing the area next to the Ex at night when parked. I wanted to mod in some puddle lamps but I don't think I'll need to now.

i remeber in the 80s my uncle had a lincoln and when you hit the turnsignal a white light would come on to illuminate the side you were turning towards it was a really nice feature too.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:43 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
i remeber in the 80s my uncle had a lincoln and when you hit the turnsignal a white light would come on to illuminate the side you were turning towards it was a really nice feature too.
Those were cornering lights, Lincoln, Cadillac, Thunderbird and others did them for a while, my 1979 Town Car had them. They were usually active once the parking lights were on.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
I'm in a bad mood today and found out I lost a friend yesterday so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. But if you don't like it, mind your own damn business! If you like something someone does GREAT! If you don't try to find something positive to say, if you have NOTHING positive to add, then just don't. This forum has typically been great because 99% of us are positive with people's trucks and try to find the positive in others posts. If your going to be a negative jack @ss just don't post, simple as that. Be a decent human being, do us all a favor and put the keyboard down.
As an outsider, I have noticed this forum has really been on the more positive side, that's why I just jumped in to randomly post, I never introduced my self when I jumped in, and probably won't as I'm not a very social person. Not sure if most of you are friends with Russ and just giving him a rouse, but as I saw the comments about his recent additions, I thought man, that's being harsh on the guy, that's just not right...

Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss we all have been there really sucks. On another note though the fact that you admitted that before you lashed out means it was meant to be and personally I find that of no excuse.

To shed some light on my first comment that started all the debate of the lights being legal. The only reason I had mentioned it was the fact that every state is different. What works for one may not work for all therefore some new member or someone who does not know may come here and say wow those are cool and then do it. Sure that's there own fault for not doing research but I was only trying to help not bash ones idea. As you can clearly see I had said I thought they were cool just didn't think people on the road or cops would approve if they blind folks.

Have a great day by the way chin up and again I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
As an outsider, I have noticed this forum has really been on the more positive side, that's why I just jumped in to randomly post, .
We are definitely the most positive forum out here, helping each other along the way. Luckily, we overlook the teasing (and self moderate) from time to time and focus on our long term passions.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Russ. As a general comment, people these days certainly need to be more positive and need a reminder of the golden rule.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the mirrors DidieX posted, was thinking about some myself, ALTHOUGH I don't really mind the paddle mirrors on my current truck lol.

Sorry about the loss of a friend Russ.

IMO this is by FAR the most positive automotive forum out there, with a plethora of help. I've made some friends here, and received lots of goodwill and kindness. I would say that this board is more like a big F=family.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 AM
handywithanex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for your loss Russ, losing friends absolutely sucks. I must say I am so happy that I found this forum, the tech folder has been a god send. I am learning so much, and get to see so many cool rides. Everyone seems very helpful.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I ordered these lights for my truck. Again, thanks for the heads up Russ and sorry for your mood.

On the lights, I figure until the OEMs stop producing cars with blinding low beam headlamps, Im going to put these on and hook them up for the white light. Im also going to put some nice bright LED's in my grille like the Raptor.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Thank you for the kind words everyone. When you work with someone for years you get to know them pretty well and they become part of your daily routine. It's just a huge shock that they are gone and how unexpected it was. The whole situation is just sad and it really got to me yesterday.

Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
As an outsider, I have noticed this forum has really been on the more positive side, that's why I just jumped in to randomly post, I never introduced my self when I jumped in, and probably won't as I'm not a very social person. Not sure if most of you are friends with Russ and just giving him a rouse, but as I saw the comments about his recent additions, I thought man, that's being harsh on the guy, that's just not right...
Thanks, at first I thought I was just taking it the wrong way but I'm glad to see others noticed also.

Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
I'm sorry for your loss we all have been there really sucks. On another note though the fact that you admitted that before you lashed out means it was meant to be and personally I find that of no excuse.

To shed some light on my first comment that started all the debate of the lights being legal. The only reason I had mentioned it was the fact that every state is different. What works for one may not work for all therefore some new member or someone who does not know may come here and say wow those are cool and then do it. Sure that's there own fault for not doing research but I was only trying to help not bash ones idea. As you can clearly see I had said I thought they were cool just didn't think people on the road or cops would approve if they blind folks.

Have a great day by the way chin up and again I'm sorry for your loss.
You are correct, I'd been keeping my mouth shut but after yesterday I was done with it and going to say something. None of this was directed at you, it was said in a general sense but with one person in mind also as a general idea to just be a decent person, both in real life and online.

That said, this place has always been one of the best automotive forums there is for discussion and thought exchange. I've been on many others that are just a dumpster fire full of trolls and people just looking for an axe to grind.

In Excursion related news, I haven't swapped my tires back out yet, thus I have not driven it either. It's currently clean and the roads are a mess with the temps hitting the lower 40s today.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The hotel we are staying at in Texas has a state trooper convention going on. I was gonna teach them something about driving on ice with the last storm but we didn't get enough ice.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The hotel we are staying at in Texas has a state trooper convention going on. I was gonna teach them something about driving on ice with the last storm but we didn't get enough ice.
When is the get together?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by seijirou
When is the get together?
Wish I knew, he's being very secretive and hasn't responded to the two PMs I sent him.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?