Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:21 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got new struts to hold up the sagging rear tailgate, but it's too flippin cold to work on the ex so it's going to have to wait a couple days.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
Just came in from the garage, pulled the tranny cross member, cleaned it, replaced the tranny mount with a new one from Napa
part # by chance?

I've been chasing a vibration from 35-45 mph. it gets better with every single thing I replace/repair. but still present. Looking at bushings now since u-joints, brakes, tires have been ruled out

Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
That's how I started, harmonic vibrations after all that towing I recently did. In addition to the driveshafts, and U-Joints I put the mount on the list too. I did a brief search for transmission mounts and didn't find much about one being better then another. So I bought locally. #620-1580 is the part number. It looks adequate, the one I'm removing is original and looks beefier, seems a little spongy now compared to the new one.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6201580

Old 01-01-2018, 11:58 AM
DidieX
Elder User
Was nice and sunny out so I braved the cold to install the the new struts. The tailgate is HEAVY, my head hurts from holding it. But what a difference. With the old struts it barely cleared my head and now I have at least 8" extra. And I'm only 5' 6". And it's not sagging, it springs open almost by itself.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
Was nice and sunny out so I braved the cold to install the the new struts. The tailgate is HEAVY, my head hurts from holding it. But what a difference. With the old struts it barely cleared my head and now I have at least 8" extra. And I'm only 5' 6". And it's not sagging, it springs open almost by itself.
I did this switch last weekend. I am about the same height as you and now have to reach out there and "PULL" the tailgate down hard to shut properly I propped the tailgate on a couple of 2x4's so the didn't come crashing on my head.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by unleashd
I did this switch last weekend. I am about the same height as you and now have to reach out there and "PULL" the tailgate down hard to shut properly I propped the tailgate on a couple of 2x4's so the didn't come crashing on my head.
Just a reminder that www.liftsupportsdepot.com carries supports for tall people or those that don't mind reaching. In a 2WD the lift is too low with the standard struts and I bump my head.

I did have them warranty replace the lift struts last winter after 4 years, I paid for shipping only.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 PM
SEMiata52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climbed under dash to determine whether my 2000 Exc XLT came with a brake booster quick connect.
Found this

than ordered a brake controller. Changing mirrors to tow mirrors and going to recover the front seat arm rest but it is too cold! More to come.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by unleashd
I didn't have any 2 x 4s handy so I figured if I do one side at a time it won't be so heavy and I'll only need to hold the full wait for a few seconds while I pop on one of the new ones. But then I dropped my flat head screwdriver after I unclipped the second old one and that plan went out the window.

I can reach the pull handle easily but I can just reach the top edge (window) of the tailgate with my hand fully outstretched. It's nice that I can finally load things without worrying about hitting the tailgate and I don't need to support it on my head in the cold weather. I purchased from Amazon as the link in the techfolder to lift support depot was no longer working.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:59 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
drove the x today a few miles (still with crappy brakes) with the new up pipes/non ebpv pedestal/non ebpv echaust housing. I am getting between 4-4.7mpg better

Old 01-01-2018, 08:38 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Just a reminder that www.liftsupportsdepot.com carries supports for tall people or those that don't mind reaching. In a 2WD the lift is too low with the standard struts and I bump my head.

I did have them warranty replace the lift struts last winter after 4 years, I paid for shipping only.
I got the 2wd version of the TuffSupport brand lifts from Amazon a while ago. Just hadn't gotten around to replacing them until now. These lift the tailgate a little more than the 4wd support.

Originally Posted by DidieX
I didn't have any 2 x 4s handy so I figured if I do one side at a time it won't be so heavy and I'll only need to hold the full wait for a few seconds while I pop on one of the new ones. But then I dropped my flat head screwdriver after I unclipped the second old one and that plan went out the window.

I can reach the pull handle easily but I can just reach the top edge (window) of the tailgate with my hand fully outstretched. It's nice that I can finally load things without worrying about hitting the tailgate and I don't need to support it on my head in the cold weather. I purchased from Amazon as the link in the techfolder to lift support depot was no longer working.
I got it from Amazon too. Started with 1 2x4, found it was slipping and so added a 2nd one to ensure that the tailgate did not crash and cause more damage.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Little trinket added last night...

Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I am sad that you need that trinket.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
A bit more progress....

Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2018, 04:52 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
I am sad that you need that trinket.
Well, I'm a little **** that way anyway, even more so after finding this a few months back.

I ended up removing both front keyed handles, replacing them with rear door handles of the same color, and finding the last NOS OE Oxford white keyed drivers door handle in case I need to switch back. I added the Jimmy Jammers too. Once I find a reputable product, I'm seriously entertaining shaving all 4 handles, and adding a door popper system, they come with a manual keyed cable release which needs to be very discretely done, or you've done nothing to maintain the security benefit of the shaved handles.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Soggybread
New User
Bit the built

I bought a redtop optima battery yesterday. Starts like a champ now.

Thank you for the info regarding the horn location. I got side tracked yesterday when my truck wouldn't start and decided to save the horn for another day.

You guys are awesome.

Last edited by Soggybread; 01-03-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Forgot that people had replied to my prior.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?