Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work - looks great!

Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
I went with capscrews on purpose. Last time I did headers I had issues with the hex head on the bolts. There were clearance issues and I don't want to ever play that game again. Stupid Mustang
Hmmmm, wasn't perchance a 5.0 Foxbody Mustang, was it?

Stewart

Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
How much did the Header's run you? Which gasket's are you using?
$532 and free shipping from Summit and a mail-in rebate of $50.00.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gib-gp125s
I'm going to use sealant, no gasket, and anti-seize on all the bolts that came with it due to restrictions of size between flanges and pipes.

Still removing the damn studs, not enough free time and still have 6 below the surface to go....

Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sddesigns
I'm going to use sealant, no gasket, and anti-seize on all the bolts that came with it due to restrictions of size between flanges and pipes.

Still removing the damn studs, not enough free time and still have 6 below the surface to go....
What sealant are you using? I've never found any that will hold up to exhaust for long term. The best exhaust gasket I've used so far is Remflex.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobRoss
What sealant are you using? I've never found any that will hold up to exhaust for long term. The best exhaust gasket I've used so far is Remflex.
Permatex ultra copper

Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
I wouldnt't do it, any leaks before the O2 sensors could be catastrophic. From permatex's website.

OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

At max power you will be 1300 F give or take depending on how long you're into the throttle.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

I wouldn't do it, any leaks before the O2 sensors could be catastrophic. From permatex's website.

OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

At max power, you will be 1300 F give or take depending on how long you're into the throttle.
After doing some more research, you are absolutely right, I just ordered Hylomar Advanced Formulation after speaking with the CEO of the company. The bonding process occurs once heated up.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:29 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Now for the good news-bad news, decided to remove the heads completely and found the gaskets were leaking oil on both sides, after considerable time spent already, I just ordered two new reman heads for $800 each and getting the list together on other items to be replaced while we're in there.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That's a good price, my Thorley's were a little more but came with a y-pipe. Had I known about these I may have skipped the Thorley's since I already have the SPD y-pipe.

Bookmarked the Remflex gaskets on Amazon.

Now for the good news-bad news, decided to remove the heads completely and found the gaskets were leaking oil on both sides, after considerable time spent already, I just ordered two new reman heads for $800 each and getting the list together on other items to be replaced while we're in there.

Head gasket's were leaking? Turned into an expensive header job. Hate how these things snowball.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
After doing some more research, you are absolutely right, I just ordered Hylomar Advanced Formulation after speaking with the CEO of the company. The bonding process orccurs once heated up.
Post a pic of the hylomar when you get it. I've used other forms of it but not the one you mentioned.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I read head gaskets, then noticed 5 cylinders and took a moment to realize, NOT a 6L.
But, good info on reasonably priced headers for my '99 F350 v10 snowplow truck..

Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
After doing some more research, you are absolutely right, I just ordered Hylomar Advanced Formulation after speaking with the CEO of the company. The bonding process occurs once heated up.
I kept wondering why you didn't opt for gaskets. You're way to far in NOT to use gaskets. When I had the exhaust manifolds off my 6.0 this past summer, I put some Felpro gaskets on once I tacked on the BD Diesel manifolds.

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Head gasket's were leaking? Turned into an expensive header job. Hate how these things snowball.
Just wait till you own a neglected 6.0....

Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I kept wondering why you didn't opt for gaskets. You're way to far in NOT to use gaskets. When I had the exhaust manifolds off my 6.0 this past summer, I put some Felpro gaskets on once I tacked on the BD Diesel manifolds.

Just wait till you own a neglected 6.0....
I understand the attention some 6.0's require, If my V10 goes that far it will be for PI heads or a 2002+ Engine swap.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM
SuperDad
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced all four electric door lock actuators

Old 09-23-2017, 10:00 AM
dlc3395
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
When I did my header instal and delt with a couple of broken studs I didn't mess with any of the AC stuff. I just pulled the plastic inner fender wells and shock mounts which gave me the needed access to all of the studs.

Same here. But I didn't have the equipment to weld nuts and washers on. Mine is in the shop right now and they are trying to remove them. Not sure how it will end. little nervous on cost

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?