Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
sometime before they break and sometimes after
Glamis? Pismo?

Hmmm, probably not Pismo...too loaded up for adventure.

Stewart

Old 05-07-2016, 09:10 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Glamis? Pismo?

Hmmm, probably not Pismo...too loaded up for adventure.

Stewart
that particular episode was at a night race out by Barstow.

just a fun footnote on that pic, the guy working the Jack is my buddy Fred, he is the editor at one of the 4wheel drive mags and earlier in the day we were bombing down the course and I spotted him taking pics so I had to throw the horns out as we flew by. ( he did use the pic in the magazine ) later that night I was on the radio with the pits and he was on our radio so I asked if he had his helmet and suit with him. next stop he jumped in and off we went to have a heep of fun.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
pkthomas has a very good reputation on FTE.pkthomas has a very good reputation on FTE.pkthomas has a very good reputation on FTE.pkthomas has a very good reputation on FTE.
What did you do to the X today?

Apoc, you could have gotten her this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-XR4TI-/301945367336

Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Apocalypse
Post Fiend
Apocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
The VX flywheel is already lighter then a standard D-series. Resurface it a machine shop, tops of $50-75. DO NOT DISCARD IT. Also if that car runs as good as you say it does it should be around 40 mpg or better. The OEM optional console it has is sweet too, an extra $150 all day. The transmissions are short for the first two gears and very long for the last three because of the Economy they produce.

Check out the Ecomodders forum too. Some get up to 50 mpg in them. :-eek
I'm thinking the flywheel might be just glazed over, so I'll pull it apart and check that out too and maybe get lucky! So should I look at a stage 2 clutch kit?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
that particular episode was at a night race out by Barstow.

just a fun footnote on that pic, the guy working the Jack is my buddy Fred, he is the editor at one of the 4wheel drive mags and earlier in the day we were bombing down the course and I spotted him taking pics so I had to throw the horns out as we flew by. ( he did use the pic in the magazine ) later that night I was on the radio with the pits and he was on our radio so I asked if he had his helmet and suit with him. next stop he jumped in and off we went to have a heep of fun.
The same guy on Motor Trend youtube channel Dirt Every day guy. Kewl.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
I'm thinking the flywheel might be just glazed over, so I'll pull it apart and check that out too and maybe get lucky! So should I look at a stage 2 clutch kit?
IMO Flywheels should be treated like a brake rotor, either surfaced/ turned or replaced. In your case if it is the OE flywheel surface only. Will be great for the new clutch to break in on. Also a good time to check the rear main seal and replace the pilot bearing.

If you can find one check for a Exedy kit.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Resto Guy
Senior User
Resto Guy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question

Today I pulled the paddle mirrors and hung a pair of the '08 style towing mirrors from 1A. So what is the secret to removing the black caps to install the chrome ones? I mean, without breaking something in the process.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
mjoyce is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes I cleaned the hub with the same 3m product to clean the hub surface. Loved it. The frozen rotors are cryogenically frozen (for 60 hours) power slot rotors that are coated with black Electrocoating (E-coating) finish, an electrostatically applied finish is designed to withstand 400 hours of saltwater exposure without rusting and provides long lasting corrosion protection in the critical hat and cooling vane areas. So that should help a ton when it comes to rust protection. I got the rotors from frozenrotors.com. I also used the light duty hawk brake pads.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Speaking of brakes (seems to be a hot topic in the X forums), I was reminded again when I pulled the X out that I need to replace my front brakes.

Is there neat stuff for 2wd's?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
The same guy on Motor Trend youtube channel Dirt Every day guy. Kewl.
yup, that's Fred , or crazy uncle Freddy to my kids

Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
USCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputation
I love Fred on Dirt Everyday. He needs to do another Baja bug episode. That episode was way too short. Curious, could you get him to do one with the Ex? Could be a cool episode that looks back at the Largest SUV ever.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:07 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by USCG_PA View Post
I love Fred on Dirt Everyday. He needs to do another Baja bug episode. That episode was way too short. Curious, could you get him to do one with the Ex? Could be a cool episode that looks back at the Largest SUV ever.
great idea, I'll run it by him.
I don't know that a nostalgic look back on the Ex would be much fun to watch though. might have to do something a bit more..... dirty

Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
gots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant future
It is a commuter car, put a stock replacement clutch in it and be done.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:26 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
USCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputationUSCG_PA has a superb reputation
great idea, I'll run it by him.
I don't know that a nostalgic look back on the Ex would be much fun to watch though. might have to do something a bit more..... dirty
Sounds like FUN!!!

Old 05-07-2016, 11:33 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Well Wendy totaled her Volt 2 weeks ago. We have USAA and they are AMAZING but our adjuster is on vacation for the next few days and we are stuck for another week without a second vehicle. Well I found this last night and started talking to the owner and got him down to 1k and went to look at it today. The car is perfect with the exception of the AC not working and it needing a clutch like yesterday. You can hear the compressor kick on when you hit the AC switch so I'm going to try to charge it and see if that does the trick. As far as the clutch that's an easy weekend project and I'll probably throw a stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel in at the same time. Car runs like a top and V-tec kicks in like it's supposed to. When you hit about 3k and it starts to kick in the clutch slips and the revs climb but the speed doesn't. I had to baby it the whole way home on the interstate and the top speed I could hit was 60. Around town I had to drive it like a little old lady and ease onto the clutch with no gas at all. All in all though this is an extremely solid car, happy with the purchase!!!

1993 honda vx hatch back

I'm an infrequent poster but almost daily lurker at ecomodder.com and those little whips are a sought after commodity over there. Great little econoboxes. And like Coop has pointed out the VX flywheel is a special piece if it's still the OEM unit, keep it and have it turned to freshen it up and a stock OEM type clutch should be fine for the next 150k miles. (and like Coop also said, check that rear main seal and replace the pilot bearing while you are in there.)
Those are the OEM VX rims too, pretty rare and some of the lightest rims to ever come on a stock factory car. They are the same bolt pattern as my Metros, so keep me in mind if they ever need a new home.
That littler Honda should be able to hit 50+ MPG with a little focused effort, or it can be beat on pretty hard and deliver 35+ MPG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.