Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post

My father in law thinks my new Surveyor 33' travel trailer is to big for the Ex, looks can be deceiving!
Well what's the weight on that and nice TT.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4 View Post
Well what's the weight on that and nice TT.

Thanks! She is a little tongue heavy but the Ex handled it on the 60 mile trip home just fine, even with a basic WD hitch. I didn't even have to pump up the air bags

<table class="SpecsTable"><tbody><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Hitch Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">1104 lbs</td></tr><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Dry Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">7516 lbs</td></tr><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Cargo Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">2388 lbs
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 04-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.Irish19614x4 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post
Thanks! She is a little tongue heavy but the Ex handled it on the 60 mile trip home just fine, even with a basic WD hitch. I didn't even have to pump up the air bags

<table class="SpecsTable"><tbody><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Hitch Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">1104 lbs</td></tr><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Dry Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">7516 lbs</td></tr><tr><td class="SpecLabelContainer">Cargo Weight</td><td class="SpecDescriptionContainer">2388 lbs
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Might look small but that's nothing for your Ex. If you have not already and running gas run 5startuning. But even my Dually looks small pulling 35' toy hauler.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold
Just scored myself a nice vintage SuperChips 1715 tuner on eBay. Can't wait 'till it gets here!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Country_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud of
What did you do to the X today?

Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Mouse, other than the "purple" one having a few less miles what is the attraction or interest in the supercharged EX vs the very nice one you already have? With yours having the 4.30 gears and your trailer only weighing in at 6k do you guys feel that you need the extra power from the supercharger?
Personally I would avoid a supercharged rig after giving it some thought based on our usage. With the increased compression from the SC I would assume that you would have to use the more expensive higher octane fuel ALL the time. Sure gas is currently on the cheap side right now but I'm pretty sure we will see it work it's way back up to ridiculous in the not too distant future. I like having the option to swap my tunes based on how I'll be working the EX, it does well towing 11k on the 87 Performance tune on relatively flat terrain and for towing in the mountains here in the East it can maintain good highway speeds with the 89 Performance tune. With a SC getting good custom tunes would be far more complicated and expensive than dealing with a shop like 5Star Tuning. I would also assume that the mileage on the blown V-10 would be a little less simply due to the needs of the forced induction setup. I work pretty diligently to get the fuel economy that I do while towing our TT and I would hate to see that get reduced by a power adder that I feel isn't needed for the work being done.

On the other hand............................. A blown 6.8 does sound like lots of fun! . I wonder how much boost it's making? Does it have headers on it too?
It's got 4.30s according to door sticker!!! What should I do??? Getting impression supercharger could be a bad thing because of needing premium gas and losing a little mileage.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
So the Ex is sitting covered in pollen. I've never in my life seen the tree's green up this early! It's like summer out there, some years we would still have feet of snow melting off.

Took the Cougar out to a show then came home and washed my car and pickup.

The olds and Ex need another wash
Name:  20160430_165738_zpsyuuynz1d.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.19 MB

Name:  20160430_165757_zpsxg7ubuxj.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  6.05 MB
Name:  20160430_165728_zpsaaqeglii.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.70 MB
Name:  20160430_131336_zps1n42m0vm.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  4.98 MB

Name:  20160430_122628_zpsxjlq0xbp.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  5.72 MB

Name:  20160430_122630_zpsnoazsgpa.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  5.97 MB

Old 04-30-2016, 11:38 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
GET OUT!! It's got 4.30s according to door sticker!!! What should I do??? Getting impression supercharger could be a bad thing because of needing premium gas and losing a little mileage.
I'm DROOLING over that Ex! I'd LOVE to have that in my driveway

I'm in the camp of BUY IT!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:50 AM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Pwrgeek has a very good reputation on FTE.Pwrgeek has a very good reputation on FTE.Pwrgeek has a very good reputation on FTE.Pwrgeek has a very good reputation on FTE.
The Nanny state is better??

In looking for places to relocate in a few years when my husband retires there really is nowhere that has the perfect weather we do here. Not too hot, cold or humid. Snow a short drive to enjoy and visit for just the day.

We keep coming back to Texas though. Besides the heat it has everything we like, big trucks, big houses, horses, guns and good values. Maybe Austin? For you Texas folk what say you?

As for test drive owner can't show us this weekend.
We say we'll swap you Austin for San Diego straight across. It could literally fall into a sinkhole and no one else here would care. The rest of Texas is God's country. I just worry about all the people moving in screwing it up like the places they left to move here in the first place.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:05 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
It's got 4.30s according to door sticker!!! What should I do??? Getting impression supercharger could be a bad thing because of needing premium gas and losing a little mileage.
Buy it!!! Premium gas isn't all that bad and losing some MPG oh well we don't drive these trucks expecting to get any gas mileage anyhow. But it's your choice good luck!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 AM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Go look/drive it, see if you like it.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation

The only reason for a supercharger is to make more power, and like most power adders that comes with a cost. If that blown EX was in my neighborhood I would still be driving my Green Giant on our next tow trip. .
That purple wagon would be great for someone looking for a Hotrod.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Oldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RobRoss View Post
^How did you know the hubs were bad?
Was going to put in the braided ESOF lines and checked the suspension while I had it in the air. Wheel bearing DS failed.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Country_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud ofCountry_Mouse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
The only reason for a supercharger is to make more power, and like most power adders that comes with a cost. If that blown EX was in my neighborhood I would still be driving my Green Giant on our next tow trip. .
That purple wagon would be great for someone looking for a Hotrod.
I wonder what it would cost to remove? Seems like I am getting in over my head with Excursion fever.

I was reading a supercharger causes more wear and tear on other components as well.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
I wonder what it would cost to remove? Seems like I am getting in over my head with Excursion fever.

I was reading a supercharger causes more wear and tear on other components as well.
Mostly wear and tear on your wallet! The supercharger is driven off of the crankshaft so it takes power to turn the supercharger but it gives much more than it takes. The increased load on the front of the crankshaft might be problematic depending on how much boost and full throttle runs have been made. And a vehicle as heavy as the Ex will reveal the weak links. Transmission, axles, driveshat(s) etc. the early prototype Shelby Mustangs (~2005) were snapping the crankshaft snouts from the increased belt load of the SC. The fix was simple (larger radii) but as much as I like hotrods, I'd stay away unless you're ready to spend more to fix the weak links.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM
BigBad408
Junior User
BigBad408 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Coolant flush.... And pulled the running boards and mud flaps !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.