Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Apocalypse
Post Fiend
Apocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
hard to keep up with all the maintance on old crap
Yeah, but we love Stewart so it's better to let him go to the doctor and stay healthy

Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
Yeah, but we love Stewart so it's better to let him go to the doctor and stay healthy
i guess your right.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Oilfield Trash has a good reputation on FTE.Oilfield Trash has a good reputation on FTE.
Ordered some new Emblems today.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:49 AM
FICMrepair.com
SPONSOR
FICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to beholdFICMrepair.com is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
First of all many thanks for responding to my post. Awesome customer service!
Ok I will implement all of your suggestions. Like I said I am going to try and adjust the cac again. It seems like it would be super easy but I am struggling with it. Ill post the after pics when I have completed the changes.
Happy to be of service!

A fleet of seven (!) 6.0's with various performance goodies added to them. Yup, it's a sickness all right....
Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 AM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
ugh, the Olds has a nasty rear main seal leak. Debating on nursing it along all summer and put it in the shop over the winter, or try and get it done now before summer kicks off and I'll want the convertible all the time...hmm decisions.

The Ex sat all pretty and washed up in the driveway again today.
Put it on a lift, take a good light and look to see if there is oil on the crankshaft, if not, it's the back of the pan. I thought I had a rear main leak in my GS and I was lucky, I resealed the back of the pan and no more leaks. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Is that a split main seal or one piece? One piece are easy, drop trans, pull flywheel, replace.

Now I just put all new seals and gaskets in the 170 I just put in my Comet and lo and behold the rear main is leaking! SOB!

Another new split rear main is on the way....

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
2wdDezlX has a very good reputation on FTE.2wdDezlX has a very good reputation on FTE.2wdDezlX has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
Installed the full wire kit and DC Power 190 amp alternator from FICMRepair.com. Like everything that isn't stock it was a pain in the A to install. The cac pipe is barely touching the back of the alternator. I adjusted and adjusted it over and over and basically gave up. I take another stab at it next weekend. The little kickstand on the belt tensioner roke immediately which forced me to improvise. I put the belt on the alternator and forced it on to the bolt holes and got the bolts in. So far its working well after a week.

Looks like the pic from FICMRepair.com

Dang pipe is touching the back of the DCPower alternator. Ill try to adjust it more next weekend.
Looks good! But you need to get that oil filter changed to oem with a new cap asap!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Is that a split main seal or one piece? One piece are easy, drop trans, pull flywheel, replace.

Now I just put all new seals and gaskets in the 170 I just put in my Comet and lo and behold the rear main is leaking! SOB!

Agreed! the 2 piece seals are a PITA and require the oil pan to come off.

The engine is an easy pull (compared to new stuff) and you can do some clean up "while you are in there" (5 scariest and most expensive words to a restored car owner).

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post
Agreed! the 2 piece seals are a PITA and require the oil pan to come off.

The engine is an easy pull (compared to new stuff) and you can do some clean up "while you are in there" (5 scariest and most expensive words to a restored car owner).
I'm pretty sure the seal is two piece, all of the "old" engines have a large flange for the flex plate and require two piece. I've seen some that are 1 piece and you cut it on one area and then fit it. If it's original, it's a rope seal. I'd replace it with a neoprene version. BOP engineering makes a nice Viton seal for the engines, about $40 but at that point, the last thing you want is an expensive leak (assuming you're paying someone to fix it). I always fit my seals and so far, no leaks and I've done a lot of engines. Lastly, the ethanol in today's gas could be the culprit for your leak...and of course age.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post

From the reading i've done, on the '72 olds 350 it's a "rope style" seal. The Old's guys recommend a Ford 292 2 piece replacement as a much better seal.

We're just going to have a shop pull the motor, do the seal and freeze plugs are weeping also so they all need to be replaced also, then paint it up and throw it back in. It runs so well and doesn't burn any oil (before this the level on the dip stick never moved) so if it ain't broke don't fix it..eh.

Our guy who looked it over real good yesterday said for sure it's the main. I haven't been under it but we've used him for 15 years and never been steered wrong yet (knock on wood)

EDIT: we run pure Gas in Alaska no 10% ethanol mix like in the lower 48. Also the car is 44 years old with 92k miles on it and the motor has never had anything other then regular maintenance items, never broke open or pulled from the car.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
From the reading i've done, on the '72 olds 350 it's a "rope style" seal. The Old's guys recommend a Ford 292 2 piece replacement as a much better seal.

We're just going to have a shop pull the motor, do the seal and freeze plugs are weeping also so they all need to be replaced also, then paint it up and throw it back in. It runs so well and doesn't burn any oil (before this the level on the dip stick never moved) so if it ain't broke don't fix it..eh.

Our guy who looked it over real good yesterday said for sure it's the main. I haven't been under it but we've used him for 15 years and never been steered wrong yet (knock on wood)

EDIT: we run pure Gas in Alaska no 10% ethanol mix like in the lower 48. Also the car is 44 years old with 92k miles on it and the motor has never had anything other then regular maintenance items, never broke open or pulled from the car.
Good deal, those Olds small blocks run a long, long time so you should be all set. Keep us posted.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
az_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
I will be driving the Ex today. I was driving my Honda Odyssey this morning DOWN a windy road when suddenly my brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Certainly woke me up! Stopped by the Honda dealership and tech said could be the master cylinder going out. It's a 2002. Sound reasonable?
You are probably a prime candidate for a class action lawsuit.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
az_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud ofaz_r2d1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
A new box has arrived.

SWEET, a writeup w pics would be much appreciated on a 2WD EX. (w hellwig)!

Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
325 at sdtrucksprings

Don't forget the 25 rebate.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post
SWEET, a writeup w pics would be much appreciated on a 2WD EX. (w hellwig)!

Have fun getting the stock bump stops off. Even on my Southern Ex one was frozen and I had to saw zaw it off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.