Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know i didnt take the time to measure it? It does look lower doesn't it

I still have the old hitch laying in the yard so when I get home (25 more days) Ill check it out.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:39 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
the hitch does look like it is lower. I may be missing it but I haven't seen many guys with a 2wd replace the rear springs, how did that go? I haven't seen a need to replace mine so I am just curious.

Reps on the mirrors!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Cove
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went ahead with the brake system upgrade. I went with Max pads & rotors, NAPA calipers & Russell braided lines. All new fluid as well. I know the popular set up is Power Stop but I sourced all my parts from NAPA & put my own kit together (father-in-law owns a couple NAPA stores so that helps!) Prepping for some Spring/Summer travel. Noticeable improvement in stopping power.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
I haven't seen many 2wd guys do springs either. The ride was real squishy and the life of the X is a TV so thats my story LOL. I was looking for another pic i had of my old springs but I can find it. They were almost flat. I gained around 4 inches in the rear.
The swap itself was easier than the Hitch swap 2.5 days. for the springs the X was on jacks about 9 and off jacks just after 2 and that was with redoing the airbags and the hellwig install. I did have to move the uhhh Fuel lines I think to install one bolt

I am only getting about 1 to 1.5 inches of squat with the new springs. Thats with a tounge weight of about 1400 maybe a lil heavier now that we added the washing machine to the TT

Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Does that new Curt hitch sit a little lower than the stocker?

I never measured the height of mine either, but I think the big visual difference is the tubing on the Curt is much smaller (though thicker) than the OEM. The gap between the hitch and bumper is definitely bigger because of the tubing size.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Originally Posted by IMASAP
I never measured the height of mine either, but I think the big visual difference is the tubing on the Curt is much smaller (though thicker) than the OEM. The gap between the hitch and bumper is definitely bigger because of the tubing size.
And it is way heavier. I really should have bought a floor jack to help

Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Watcher58
You expecting company up there??

Well, I figure it's inevitable that my MIL will join us for a weekender .......

Old 04-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I am starting to get the rest n of the roof lights in place. Wiring will wait until later in the month. Here are the 2 rear, I still have the 2 right and 2 left to install.

I know the truck needs a bath, but that will have to wait a few more days.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Now I just need to wire it all up. I think I now have enough led lights on the truck.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:58 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
And it is way heavier. I really should have bought a floor jack to help

My factory hitch is getting to the point of needing replacement, it has been stripped and recoated twice now and the bubbles keep coming back, and with my TT's weight I don't want to keep nursing it along. So are both of you guys pretty happy with the Curt EX replacement hitch? Any issues with it at all or is there anything you would do to it before installation if you were to do it over again? I know it does not come with the provision to mount the trailer plug mount.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

Looks great, Russ.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
My factory hitch is getting to the point of needing replacement, it has been stripped and recoated twice now and the bubbles keep coming back, and with my TT's weight I don't want to keep nursing it along. So are both of you guys pretty happy with the Curt EX replacement hitch? Any issues with it at all or is there anything you would do to it before installation if you were to do it over again? I know it does not come with the provision to mount the trailer plug mount.
Not too much I can say about it that you don't already know. My original had three holes right through the cross tube. It was all done but I did know that when I bought the truck. I switched to 3/4 inch hardware.... and you know about drilling and tapping the hole for the plug bracket. I'm 100% happy with mine, especially for the price. I've got 3 Curts in the driveway..... 1 on What's-Her-Name's Highlander, 1 on the front of the Ex, 1 on the back. I certainly would buy another Curt hitch if I needed one.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
My factory hitch is getting to the point of needing replacement, it has been stripped and recoated twice now and the bubbles keep coming back, and with my TT's weight I don't want to keep nursing it along.
Tom, is it from body cancer?

I'm surprised.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Not too much I can say about it that you don't already know. My original had three holes right through the cross tube. It was all done but I did know that when I bought the truck. I switched to 3/4 inch hardware.... and you know about drilling and tapping the hole for the plug bracket. I'm 100% happy with mine, especially for the price. I've got 3 Curts in the driveway..... 1 on What's-Her-Name's Highlander, 1 on the front of the Ex, 1 on the back. I certainly would buy another Curt hitch if I needed one.

Thanks, I've been looking at it for a while now but its getting time to actually do something about it.......
I have installed Curt hitches on a handful of our cars, all with great results but this will be for the heaviest service of them all. I am thinking of maybe adding some tabs to the top of the cross tube to mount a set of rear firing LED mini bars for aux reverse lights and switchable as work site lights. I have a local powder coating shop that has done a few jobs for me in the past (Hensley Arrow hitch and Quarter Midget racecar frames) with great results at very good prices. I would use them to have it recoated after any welded add-on I would do.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by mecdac
Tom, is it from body cancer?

I'm surprised.

Yeah, the only rust on the rig as you have seen. I should have used POR-15 or something like it back when I bought it instead of just wire wheeling it down to clean metal and painting with Rustoleum primer and paint (twice now...). I don't have any holes but the same areas have bubbled up 3 times now so they have to be getting a little thin. Mostly on the front side and top of the cross tube, from the back of the truck it still looks fine.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?