Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Finally got around to trying out the TurtleWax Jet Black 3 step wax for black vehicles. I have to say I'm completely happy with it. My barn doors have never looked so good.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:40 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Finally got around to trying out the TurtleWax Jet Black 3 step wax for black vehicles. I have to say I'm completely happy with it. My barn doors have never looked so good.

Sweet, it looks good. Glad I don't have to send any refunds lol

Old 04-14-2016, 03:43 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Oh yeah, stopped at the local transfer station and did a free weigh of my truck, since I need to weigh with the camper sometime soon. Not sure why I'm surprised...... but, holy crap 8,540 lbs with 2/3 fuel, dog, son and me in it.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:45 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phager
Today, I got around to doing coils and plugs on the Ex. When we were coming home from the last camping trip, the Ex started bucking at light throttle openings. My original thought was possibly a throttle position sensor, since it only happens at tip in to 1/4 throttle. I hooked up to torque on my phone, and ran the throttle from closed to WOT and saw no jumps in the TPS readings. Just for fun, I checked for codes even though I didn't have a CEL, and sure enough, P0305. So I went ahead and ordered 10 coils off Amazon. I know I'll catch some flak for it, but I didn't go Motorcraft, but the cheaper lifetime warranty ones on there. I really can't afford to drop $600 on all new genuine ones. I also picked up 10 Motorcraft plugs, and anti seize, dielectric grease and that nifty magnetic socket.

To be honest, I was kind of dreading doing this, all the horror stories freaked me out. I started on it at around 11:30 and just got everything buttoned up about 20 minutes ago, including one trip to the parts store to get a magnetic pick up tool, since one of the coil bolts decided to take a leap in to the valley. Also the number 7 coil boot decided to sieze to the porcelain of the plug, leading to another freak out, since the spark plug socket wouldn't go over the head. Fortunately, a deep well 5/8 just fit, and I was able to get it out.

Here's what I pulled out laid out in order as if you're looking under the hood.

All the plugs were seriously over gapped, although the color on all of them look ok. The truck looks like it had a major service done, based on a sticker under the hood, at 92,000 miles. I'm assuming the plugs have been in for 100k since the truck now has just over 192k. Three coils are aftermarket, the other 7 are factory, and still working other then #5. I'll be keeping a couple of the good ones in the truck as spares, after I put new boots on them. Overall though, it's really not that bad of a job, I did pull the intake tube, as well as the evap port and PCV valve for additional clearance, and that really made all the difference. I'm definitely using a 50k interval for plug replacement in the future.
Last time I checked they were 40 bucks a piece at Rock Auto. I'd have gone for the OEM's. Too many horror stories about non-OEM ignition coils. Why didn't you just change the one misfiring?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:47 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Sweet, it looks good. Glad I don't have to send any refunds lol
Believe me...... I was thinking about you the whole time. It honestly looks great.... way better than the plain old wax I used last time. I'm a little surprised how well it hides all the fine scratches, especially on the barn doors where your fingers touch opening and closing the back.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Believe me...... I was thinking about you the whole time. It honestly looks great.... way better than the plain old wax I used last time. I'm a little surprised how well it hides all the fine scratches, especially on the barn doors where your fingers touch opening and closing the back.
Lol. I was surprised it worked so well also. I need to do the Wife's Mountaineer with it but just haven't had the time. It has held up to multiple washes and storms and North Texas dirtblasts well also.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:59 PM
phager
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Last time I checked they were 40 bucks a piece at Rock Auto. I'd have gone for the OEM's. Too many horror stories about non-OEM ignition coils. Why didn't you just change the one misfiring?
Two reasons why I didn't just do the one. First it was going to cost almost as much for new boots, as the coils cost, so why not swap the coils with the boots. Secondly, the coils have almost 200k on them, so I view them as questionable.

In all honesty, you're probably right, and in six months I'll probably be complaining about failed coils, but I'm hoping in six months my work puts me back at my old rate of pay, and then I can stomach paying for OE coils. But right now, factory coils aren't in the cards after dropping 6k on the truck and another 1k+ on maintenance repairs.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:06 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
New boot kit is only 33.98 for 10 boots and springs for reference. It's denso kit 671-0001 I can understand the desire to replace high mileage parts, but I would keep the working motorcraft ones for the future.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two reasons why I didn't just do the one. First it was going to cost almost as much for new boots, as the coils cost, so why not swap the coils with the boots. Secondly, the coils have almost 200k on them, so I view them as questionable.

In all honesty, you're probably right, and in six months I'll probably be complaining about failed coils, but I'm hoping in six months my work puts me back at my old rate of pay, and then I can stomach paying for OE coils. But right now, factory coils aren't in the cards after dropping 6k on the truck and another 1k+ on maintenance repairs.
I actually meant why not just change the misbehaving cylinder's coil ? Didn't it indicate nr 5 ?

I think the oem's come w a boot.

Hope you used a torque wrench on the plugs.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:25 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Today, I got around to doing coils and plugs on the Ex. When we were coming home from the last camping trip, the Ex started bucking at light throttle openings. My original thought was possibly a throttle position sensor, since it only happens at tip in to 1/4 throttle. I hooked up to torque on my phone, and ran the throttle from closed to WOT and saw no jumps in the TPS readings. Just for fun, I checked for codes even though I didn't have a CEL, and sure enough, P0305. So I went ahead and ordered 10 coils off Amazon. I know I'll catch some flak for it, but I didn't go Motorcraft, but the cheaper lifetime warranty ones on there. I really can't afford to drop $600 on all new genuine ones. I also picked up 10 Motorcraft plugs, and anti seize, dielectric grease and that nifty magnetic socket.

To be honest, I was kind of dreading doing this, all the horror stories freaked me out. I started on it at around 11:30 and just got everything buttoned up about 20 minutes ago, including one trip to the parts store to get a magnetic pick up tool, since one of the coil bolts decided to take a leap in to the valley. Also the number 7 coil boot decided to sieze to the porcelain of the plug, leading to another freak out, since the spark plug socket wouldn't go over the head. Fortunately, a deep well 5/8 just fit, and I was able to get it out.

Here's what I pulled out laid out in order as if you're looking under the hood.

All the plugs were seriously over gapped, although the color on all of them look ok. The truck looks like it had a major service done, based on a sticker under the hood, at 92,000 miles. I'm assuming the plugs have been in for 100k since the truck now has just over 192k. Three coils are aftermarket, the other 7 are factory, and still working other then #5. I'll be keeping a couple of the good ones in the truck as spares, after I put new boots on them. Overall though, it's really not that bad of a job, I did pull the intake tube, as well as the evap port and PCV valve for additional clearance, and that really made all the difference. I'm definitely using a 50k interval for plug replacement in the future.
Nice job. I did mine with 203k on the clock and they were terrible. Gap was huge. I changed only one boot when I did the plugs and one about a month later when it went bad. But the old ones didn't look anywhere near as discolored as some of yours. I used motorcraft but I only needed 2 so I was able to stomach the cost. My reason was the failed ones were aftermarket. The screw that holds in the coil snapped on cylinder 9 and when I drilled it out my tap broke and fell inside next t the plug. That was fun getting out.....

Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM
phager
Freshman User
I knew I was going to get flak, here's the breakdown financially for me. My costs, were based on either the parts store where I work, or Amazon, I went with those two because I needed to make sure I got all the parts before my days off, and before I take the camper out next week.

If I went through work, 1 Motorcraft coil, 9 boots and 10 plugs would have run ~$150 with tax and my discount. Amazon was $56 for 10 generic coils and $34 for the plugs at work, again with tax and discount so $90 total.

In my experience (but not with the Excursion), I've had zero problems with aftermarket coils on a couple of different vehicles, including 50k on my Durango with Duralast coils. With that said, I've also noticed that OE parts are definitely a step up in reliability, and some vehicles are more picky about OE then others.

I was throwing a code for only cylinder 5. My thought process was given that it already had 3 coils replaced, and given that the cost was less to drop in all new, by going all new I give myself a baseline from which to start. I also have 9 known good spares if one fails I can send it in for replacement with no downtime.

Finally, I did make sure to torque them down using my inch pound torque wrench. I went with 200 inch pounds since recommendations run from 13 to 25 ft/lbs I shot for somewhere in the middle. I plan on re torquing them at my next oil change in 5k and listening closely for anything that sounds like an exhaust leak.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:55 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I knew I was going to get flak, here's the breakdown financially for me. My costs, were based on either the parts store where I work, or Amazon, I went with those two because I needed to make sure I got all the parts before my days off, and before I take the camper out next week.

If I went through work, 1 Motorcraft coil, 9 boots and 10 plugs would have run ~$150 with tax and my discount. Amazon was $56 for 10 generic coils and $34 for the plugs at work, again with tax and discount so $90 total.

In my experience (but not with the Excursion), I've had zero problems with aftermarket coils on a couple of different vehicles, including 50k on my Durango with Duralast coils. With that said, I've also noticed that OE parts are definitely a step up in reliability, and some vehicles are more picky about OE then others.

I was throwing a code for only cylinder 5. My thought process was given that it already had 3 coils replaced, and given that the cost was less to drop in all new, by going all new I give myself a baseline from which to start. I also have 9 known good spares if one fails I can send it in for replacement with no downtime.

Finally, I did make sure to torque them down using my inch pound torque wrench. I went with 200 inch pounds since recommendations run from 13 to 25 ft/lbs I shot for somewhere in the middle. I plan on re torquing them at my next oil change in 5k and listening closely for anything that sounds like an exhaust leak.
Hey, if they last 50k it's worth it, I was just fed up with swapping coils, the PO left me all the spares from when he swapped in the cheapo aftermarkets, so the 2 that failed were only in there a couple months.

Let's not get started with exhaust leaks, that a whole other ball game....my passenger side manifold is hanging on for dear life....I'm sure the right sized NYC pothole will knock it off.

I hope to get it done myself one Sunday in the summer, there are some great write ups in the tech folder.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you guys need to switch to the 7.3 diesel and drop them crap gas engines

Old 04-14-2016, 04:59 PM
phager
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Skip1970
you guys need to switch to the 7.3 diesel and drop them crap gas engines
There we go, deflect the OE versus aftermarket debate with a gas versus diesel debate. Now why didn't I think of that?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
There we go, deflect the OE versus aftermarket debate with a gas versus diesel debate. Now why didn't I think of that?
oops, did i do that.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?