Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol, that's going to take a lot of money!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Oh dang, I was kinda still crying in my Wheaties and hadn't thought of that.

I too hope you being Excursionless doesn't impact the amount of posting you do. The place wouldn't be the same without you, my friend.

Stewart
I'll at least get some type of Ford

Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
So just got home from Twitchs house and bad news. Even with braided lines all around, fresh fluid (we flushed 2 large bottles through and it was flushed 2 months ago) and brand new powerstop parts it stops just as poorly as it did before. It kind of slows to a stop instead of coming to a hard stop. VERY not happy. Nothing wrong with anything we replaced thus far so I guess the last thing to replace is the master cylinder. Thoughts guys?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
When you replaced the calipers and lines did the fluid completely drain from the reservoir?

You may need to check the fittings again and also run a hose from a caliper bleeder to the master reservoir and slowly pump allowing the air to escape. Essentially bench bleeding the master on the truck. Otherwise it could be an ABS issue.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
When you replaced the calipers and lines did the fluid completely drain from the reservoir?
There is a possibility that we did. It was really hard to tell the level in the reservoir and I think we may have run it dry on the first caliper (driver front).

You may need to check the fittings again and also run a hose from a caliper bleeder to the master reservoir and slowly pump allowing the air to escape. Essentially bench bleeding the master on the truck.
Thank God David recommended the Russel Speed Bleeders!!!!!

Otherwise it could be an ABS issue.
I'm pretty sure it's this, but I never get a light or a CEL so I don't know what to do. The ABS is wretched on my rig and I've never really learned anything about working on it so I have no idea where to start

Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
There is a possibility that we did. It was really hard to tell the level in the reservoir and I think we may have run it dry on the first caliper (driver front).
You need to bleed the master.

The speed bleeders have nothing to do with your issue. They are just a nice thing to have and help the bleeding process.

Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a local hardware store and pick up some clear tubing about 20' worth, (needs to fit snug over the bleeder) crack the bleeder, run the clear tubing from the rear caliper first to the master reservoir and pump it up. The Master cylinder reservoir will be the highest point on your rig and allow you to clear the air from the lines. When no air is seen in the line move to the next caliper and repeat the process all the way to the front.

I'm pretty sure it's this, but I never get a light or a CEL so I don't know what to do. The ABS is wretched on my rig and I've never really learned anything about working on it so I have no idea where to start
Take your rig out and slam super hard on the brakes and see if it will activate.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:30 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
double post

Last edited by Bently_Coop; 04-12-2016 at 02:37 AM. Reason: double post
Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
The speed bleeders have nothing to do with your issue. They are just a nice thing to have and help the bleeding process.
I'll be doing this on my own, that's the only reason I was mentioning this I know they aren't the issue, I just really like them and wanted to thank David again

Take your rig out and slam super hard on the brakes and see if it will activate.
Done this a few times trying to bed the brakes and they don't really activate. The truck just slows down gently, no throw me forward in the seat or pulsing or anything just an ease to a stop.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
your brake booster is shot or hose is disconnected if its not a hydroboost one

Old 04-12-2016, 04:20 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
New diff cover and Crown brake lines installed

cover looks good fruitcake! dont you have a garden to be sitting in guarding?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I'll be doing this on my own, that's the only reason I was mentioning this I know they aren't the issue, I just really like them and wanted to thank David again

Done this a few times trying to bed the brakes and they don't really activate. The truck just slows down gently, no throw me forward in the seat or pulsing or anything just an ease to a stop.
I think you will need someone to either pump or hold the hose while pumping. How do you plan on seeing, holding a hose on the bleeder and pumping the brake pedal?

Originally Posted by Skip1970
your brake booster is shot or hose is disconnected if its not a hydroboost one
hydroboost on diesels correct?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I think you will need someone to either pump or hold the hose while pumping. How do you plan on seeing, holding a hose on the bleeder and pumping the brake pedal?
Looks like another trip to Gettysburg.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Had lunch with Oldguyfl, was nice seeing him very nice excursion!

And

I sold my excursion during lunch (wasn't really trying). I had it at a friends place, and he got me top dollar for it. Ok fire away
Funny I saw your truck on eBay motors without an asking price lol.

Nice truck, tastefully modded.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:24 PM
weeeves
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never been a big fan of those speed bleeders. Air would always get sucked in around the threads. This is why it's important to put a glob of grease all around the bleeder when bleeding.

Get yourself a Motive Power Bleeder. It pressurizes the lines from the Master Cylinder, instead of pulling vacuum like your traditional bleeder which does a much better job removing all of the stubborn air pockets from the lines. Also, you're less likely to let the master cylinder run dry with the Motive bleeder.

You may need to check the fittings again and also run a hose from a caliper bleeder to the master reservoir and slowly pump allowing the air to escape. Essentially bench bleeding the master on the truck. Otherwise it could be an ABS issue.
This. If the master cylinder ran dry, you will need to bench bleed it. It's very likely you have air in the ABS module too, which is a PITA to bleed without the proper scan tool from Ford. I have successfully removed all the air out of the ABS module in the past by driving around on snowy/icy roads, braking hard enough to activate the ABS and then bleeding the lines immediately afterwards. I had to do this about 4-5 times.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:34 PM
W4n7s0m3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got done replacing all 4 injectors on the left side after #6 went out. Changed the dummy plug and stand pipe while in there. Did the Blue Spring upgrade. T6 and Archoil for the right side they are sounding tired though hope to get some more miles out of them before tearing down that side.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?