Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
Nothing really on the Ex this weekend other than taking it to get parts. I did finally get it's sister running and out of the garage for the first time since 2012. Been needing to do some motor work on it but $$ didn't allow till now. I had forgotten the "joys" of driving a lowered vehicle. Any of you detailing guru's got any hints for cleaning the top back up?

I wish I could help you on cleaning a white top, I have tried everything including Comet. I think there comes a point where the white wears off.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I almost melted it with some Bleech White. Apparently that is too strong.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

Every three years, the office holds hearings on whether certain activities should be exempt from the DMCA's section 1201, which governs technological measures that protect copyrighted work. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for individual rights in the digital world, has asked the office to ensure that enthusiasts can continue working on cars by providing exemptions that would give them the right to access necessary car components.

Interested parties have until the end of the month to file comments on the proposed rule making, and a final decision is expected by mid-year.

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
Nothing really on the Ex this weekend other than taking it to get parts. I did finally get it's sister running and out of the garage for the first time since 2012. Been needing to do some motor work on it but $$ didn't allow till now. I had forgotten the "joys" of driving a lowered vehicle. Any of you detailing guru's got any hints for cleaning the top back up?
Bass Pro brand mold and mildew cleaner works awesome on tops...
Past that, oxyclean and laundry detergent with a medium brush normally makes quick work of the mess after you let it soak.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

Every three years, the office holds hearings on whether certain activities should be exempt from the DMCA's section 1201, which governs technological measures that protect copyrighted work. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for individual rights in the digital world, has asked the office to ensure that enthusiasts can continue working on cars by providing exemptions that would give them the right to access necessary car components.

Interested parties have until the end of the month to file comments on the proposed rule making, and a final decision is expected by mid-year.

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."
All i have in response to this is:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAH

Suck it. :-P

Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
For those of you that may not know this yet, the Ford Excursion is the best suv ever made.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
That will never fly. Vehicles are already over priced piles of junk, it almost seems like they don't want people to buy new vehicles any more.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
For those of you that may not know this yet, the Ford Excursion is the best suv ever made.
They made other SUV's?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
They made other SUV's?
A few but they are crap... I just bought a perfect condition 05' H2, now that snowseeker sold his Chitty I plan on taking over that name for it.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
A few but they are crap... I just bought a perfect condition 05' H2, now that snowseeker sold his Chitty I plan on taking over that name for it.

Its a great name for Chitty vehicles!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Its a great name for Chitty vehicles!
Does this apply to GMC and Pontiac too? Wife insisted she get a Yukon Denali........ And a Pontiac sunfire....

Me, I'm sensible, I have a Ford Wagoneer, a F350, and of course the beloved Excursion.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Got one of three rust free doors on (rear). The two fronts need the windows tinted and then the doors go on. I have two sets of glass any advice for tinting the glass on a table???

Rear door is now rust free

Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ewwww

Could be worse

Best one

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't think this is what is meant by "April Showers"....

Name:  20150420_171305_zpsss2bv9uz.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  933.8 KB

Name:  20150420_194025_zpspupme09b.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  1.04 MB

Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Michael, have you considered the GL63 AMG SUV to replace your Hummer and BMW?

AMG = OMG!

Stewart

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?