Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
Ohhhhhh how us Pacific coasters forget how good we have it in regards to salt / rust.
We had one snowfall this year, however the roads get covered in brine solution any time it gets below 40* I think, that stuff is 100% to blame for that mess. I have some suspension parts that need a closer inspection as well.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
It is funny, all of my 2" ball mounts are tight except for this one. How does the hitch vice work?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:21 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I have a ball mount that fits snug in my Durango's hitch but has a lot of play in in in the Excursion's hitch. The ball mount is for a weight distribution hitch. I can't find an adapter that takes up the slack. Any suggestions?
It isn't going to rattle around when in use if it's a WD hitch.

All my inserts are loose on the Ex s hitch, it's not going to hurt anything, except some people complain about noise, I haven't heard any from mine, but I usually keep a good amount of tonge wt on mine usually.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
It isn't going to rattle around when in use if it's a WD hitch.

All my inserts are loose on the Ex s hitch, it's not going to hurt anything, except some people complain about noise, I haven't heard any from mine, but I usually keep a good amount of tonge wt on mine usually.
Sometimes I use the hitch just as that without WD bars attached, like when I pull the Scout trailer because of the 2 5/16th ball.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 PM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is funny, all of my 2" ball mounts are tight except for this one. How does the hitch vice work?

I tried everything to get the rattle and sway from a hitch hauler as well as an adjustable hitch, nothing was nearly as beefy as this, locks it together and makes it one solid piece, well worth the money, and easier than the welding a nut to the hitch idea I have used in the past

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
V12, wow that thing is huge Snowman, what going on???

Another E-type.

Allot of motor for a car the size of a miata!

Name:  t23Irq6.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  132.2 KB

Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jdw1
Where do you get those bushings?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Link? Mine are pretty soft up front and could use some love
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Is it safe to assume we all use the same one? I have energy suspensions on the front of mine... Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 4.5180G Front Sway Bar Bushing Set: Automotive
There are two different sized bushings for my Super Duty. I picked them up at Oreilly's for around $15 total. Front bar diameter is 32mm however the brackets can require a 1.875" bushing face or a 2.15" bushing face. Mine are the 2.15" bushing.

1.875"
More Information for MOOG K80072

2.15"
More Information for MOOG K80201

Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
BTW that is the first time that car sat on its own suspension on the ground in over 30 years!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks Coop!

Snowseeker... More pics of that ride!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a ball mount that fits snug in my Durango's hitch but has a lot of play in in in the Excursion's hitch. The ball mount is for a weight distribution hitch. I can't find an adapter that takes up the slack. Any suggestions?
Manufacturer discrepancy.
Weld a bead on the top of the shank and grind down for a tight fit if you only plan on using it in the excursion.

Or, drill a 9/16 hole up thru the bottom of receiver tube just forward of the pin and clip hole. Weld a 1/2 inch nut over hole and use a bolt with an additional nut cinched down as a locknut. Keep the 3/4" wrench in the truck....

Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Apoc, to experience a diesel you need to put 10,000 lbs behind it and take it up a mountain, when the gassers get tired of pulling the diesel will keep going.
Maybe the gassers you have driven up them mountains need to get to the gym a little so they don't get so tired driving uphill.
My well setup (for towing) V-10 pulls mountain grades (here in the East at least) pretty well.

There is a reason there are very few big rigs are gassers. All of my gassers (cars and SUVs) tend to start wimping out 3/4 of the way up Old Fort Mtn in Western NC, even with 10,000 lbs behind it the Ex did not drop below 55. It is a 6% grade for six miles with two six degree curves.

Big rigs use diesels for very good reasons, diesel fuel contains more energy than gas and diesel engines by their nature are more efficient (high compression) and as Dave said they produce higher torque from similar sized engines. Also gas engines loose efficiency when scaled up, the forced induction of diesels counters that issue. That same forced induction keeps the power production up on diesels at higher elevations where the thinner air reduces normally aspirated gas engines power output.
On our recent trip to Charlotte I didn't have the chance to climb that mountain (Old Fort) but on all the hills I-77 & I-81 threw at us the EX was able to maintain speed all the way to the top when traffic allowed it. We were a little pressed for time so I was running faster than I normally tow, but if I hit the beginning of the grades at 73MPH (2500 RPMs) the V-10 was able to hold that speed during the climb. It's all about being properly setup for the job at hand, gears, headers and custom tunes have made very significant towing performance improvements on our V-10 EX. On this trip we were towing our 11,000lb TT and averaged 60.1 MPH (per GPS) over the entire 562 mile return trip to home.
I'm sure a good 7.3 or 6.0 would perform the same or better and get better fuel mileage, we saw 8.2 MPG on that tow home, but it just chaps me a little when folks go on about needing a diesel if you tow any kind of weight over any distance or grades, it's just not so.
I don't mean for my little rant here to be an attack on you Excurvelle or on diesels in general, I have tons of respect for both you and oil burners, I just saw a chance for me to do a little V-10 cheerleading is all!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Snowseeker... More pics of that ride!

As it comes along.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Not a problem, I'll go take some from any angle I can get and load them up tonight so everyone can see. Also I will get some specs on the motor and some nice shots of it and load those as well. I'll load some later as it comes along also
Sweet! Thanks Snowseeker!!!!! You my friend are a great guy

Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
You said it right here:

It's all about being properly setup for the job at hand, gears, headers and custom tunes have made very significant towing performance improvements on our V-10 EX.
My first pull with my Ex (bone stock) in 2010 before I had anything except a loaded 9000 lb 24' car hauler without sway control (bad mistake) and before I knew anything about 6.0l's we headed from Central NC to Nashville, TN for a car show. When pulling Fancy Gap I kept it pulling at 65-70 MPH passing traffic like crazy, at that point I realized how much I loved the diesel and got the bug. I had always pulled smaller trailers with gassers before, my most powerful being a 2000 Durango with a 5.9L and I still own that truck and it has less miles on it than the Ex and is modified with with a shift kit in the transmission. That truck can't handle any of the big trailers but when I tow the twin axle 12' Scout trailer or flat car trailer it is so weak.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:26 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
Hitch-Vise Anti-Rattle Receiver Clamp Installation - YouTube

I tried everything to get the rattle and sway from a hitch hauler as well as an adjustable hitch, nothing was nearly as beefy as this, locks it together and makes it one solid piece, well worth the money, and easier than the welding a nut to the hitch idea I have used in the past
I made some shims out of thin ga sheet metal (a few different thickness), put a 5/8 hole in them and viola.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?