Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
by the way that walmart steering wheel cover makes my hands smell like a cheap chinese factory with the pleather smell. im hoping if i armoall it the stink will come off.
Yes, or your hands will slide off...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
A little more work...

Installed the front receiver:

Fixed the body-to-battery-negative lead and the other chassis ground leads...PO did a huge hack job...
Before:

After:

Added the fuse to the Inverter B+ lead. I scratched my head for quite some time to figure out the best spot...decided to make a small mount and attach it to one of the three bolts on that "thing just inboard of the other thing that looks like a heater fan". Added maybe a foot to the cable...the bracket let me angle the fuse in line with an AC line. Not perfect but it's damn stable and the bends of the cable aren't too extreme:

Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Nice and clean Robert!

I just tightened the front u-bolts to keep 'er quiet over lumps.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks nice there rob...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,672 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
by the way that walmart steering wheel cover makes my hands smell like a cheap chinese factory with the pleather smell. im hoping if i armoall it the stink will come off.
Try Murphy's Oil Soap...

Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Unhappy

Pulled the driver seat, took off the skirt, arm rest, seat tracks and separated the top from the seat.

Pulled the seat bottom leather up and found one scorched section (but the wire insulation looked fine...WTF?). Cut a section out, soldered it and put some heat shrink over it. Didn't see any other obvious signs of shorting on the top side.

Looked at the upper section...no signs of shorting but you can see the "blue" from a few wires up high...not sure if this is just maybe the seat got wet, normal thinning of the heater pad or what.

I didn't remove any hog rings, so I couldn't visualize the entire seat heater.

Put it all back together, nothing.

REALLY want my heated seats to work!!! My wife's Jetta is spoiling me!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM
LOP223
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common for the seat bottom heater grids to burn through. Seen that on many makes/models. You can take a meter and measure the upper and lower grids to see where the issue is. Haven't tried repairing the grid, usually just replace the bad one. Aftermarket ones are also available if Ford is too proud of the part. Put one in my wife's car for $75 complete.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by LOP223
Common for the seat bottom heater grids to burn through. Seen that on many makes/models. You can take a meter and measure the upper and lower grids to see where the issue is. Haven't tried repairing the grid, usually just replace the bad one. Aftermarket ones are also available if Ford is too proud of the part. Put one in my wife's car for $75 complete.
Any chance you recall the manufacturer or store where you got your replacement?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

it's the wires under the front bottom......I have some pics on a thread on how to fix it......can't seem to find it at the moment.....looking....

Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by njneer1
it's the wires under the front bottom......I have some pics on a thread on how to fix it......can't seem to find it at the moment.....looking....
...not the seat pad itself?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

No....it's an easy fix...there are threads on on it here......one wire burns in two between the seat pad and the under thigh pad......you reach under the front seat and unhook the cover ....peel it back and fix the wire....do a search.....I can't find my pics

Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
No....it's an easy fix...there are threads on on it here......one wire burns in two between the seat pad and the under thigh pad......you reach under the front seat and unhook the cover ....peel it back and fix the wire....do a search.....I can't find my pics
I just did that same fix...it was on the top of the heating pad, thigh panel. That's the posting I put up above...it didn't work.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

so you fixed the burnt wire between the butt heater pad and the thigh heater pad ??

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
so you fixed the burnt wire between the butt heater pad and the thigh heater pad ??
I didn't see the burn there...the burn I saw was about 1" aft and 1" inboard of the right-front corner (as you sit in the seat).

I didn't have a set of hogring pliers to replace the hogrings, so I didn't remove them to get at the heating element. It's stuck on with some kind of adhesive...was a little nervous to pull it off in case I damaged the heating element pad.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
-Replaced #1 and #8 injectors with the replacements Full Force Diesel sent. Truck runs considerably better now, packing up the loaners I got from strokin'_tatsch please rep him if any of you see him.

-Found my top starter bolt loose, but bought another starter and replaced it anyhow. Here's why:

I took a chick at work out to lunch and when we went to leave, the X refused to start. (The starter was turning but it sounded like an RC car and wasn't enough to turn the motor.) I cycle the key two or three times trying and still nothing. I end up having a call a good buddy at work to come pick us up.

I borrow a company truck, go to Autozone, get a new starter, and head back to my truck. For whatever reason, I decided to try starting my truck again, when I do, it fires the first time!

I drive it back to work, go outside and remote start it at two seperate times and it starts no problem I go to an impromptu Christmas party after work and still, it starts no problem! Given the events presented before you, it brings me to this conclusion: My truck was either jealous of her, didn't like her altogether, or all of the above...

I decided not to take my chances and replace the starter.

Anyhow, truck is running good once more...now time for bed, I'm exhausted.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?