Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
made it safe and sound, weather here is just as nice and a tad warmer then AK.

Guess what i got?....i begged the lady at the counter to get me some kind of ford...what do i end up with? a grey 2013 hyundai sonata with 34k miles on it. I'll be driving a lot tomorrow so i'm sure i'll have an opinion by oh 2pm or so. Tonight we went to dinner and my co-workers got a bright red 2013 mustang coupe v6 with leather and HIDs. so when we went to dinner i was DD with the stang so at least i got to drive some form of ford!

going to be a early morning tomorrow, i'm already missing my Ex on these freeways!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10

OK I see now that you are comparing the image to the one above it but as a photographer I know why but it would take 15 minutes to explain it and it has to do with the wide angle one degrading the image quality due to enlarging the area in comparison to the more compact image above, gotcha now It is actually a phenomenon that I didn't pick up on at first...........my bad. It's kind of like the wide angle one has less pixels and I can explain it if you really want to know. Actually it was a brilliant observation on your part. Your eyes won't see the difference when you are there even though the camera will because your eyes are much more efficient. (Ever notice how your eyes always have everything in focus?)

OK I can't resist; In a nutshell, the image on the bottom is "stretched" and lost much of it's information. If you take a low resolution image and put it on a 12" computer screen it might look OK but put that same image on a 24" screen at the same resolution and it will degrade. The bottom mirror has the same resolution as the top one at the surface but the real estate has doubled or tripled in the reflection so it has lost much of it's information.

Yeah that is what I was talking about. I find many aftermarket (cheap) mirrors have a haze or are a bit blurry like the wide angle in the pic above and that is why I asked. I want 08+ mirrors for the X and see LOTS of people getting the aftermarket ones and praising them but I am still hesitant because of my experiences with aftermarket mirrors/headlights. I have been watching for a deal on OEM mirrors basically because I know they would be the best I can get.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Yeah that is what I was talking about. I find many aftermarket (cheap) mirrors have a haze or are a bit blurry like the wide angle in the pic above and that is why I asked. I want 08+ mirrors for the X and see LOTS of people getting the aftermarket ones and praising them but I am still hesitant because of my experiences with aftermarket mirrors/headlights. I have been watching for a deal on OEM mirrors basically because I know they would be the best I can get.

Andy, I have the aftermarket ones ('08+) from 1AAuto and the mirror quality is top quality, both top and bottom. I'd take a picture but now we know you can't make a judgement based on a pic. I understand your concerns though, I too have seen other aftermarket mirrors that were less than perfect, but these and the Kool-View ones ('05 style) they replaced were on par with OEM in my opinion.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Andy, I have the aftermarket ones ('08+) from 1AAuto and the mirror quality is top quality, both top and bottom. I'd take a picture but now we know you can't make a judgement based on a pic. I understand your concerns though, I too have seen other aftermarket mirrors that were less than perfect, but these and the Kool-View ones ('05 style) they replaced were on par with OEM in my opinion.

^^^^ X2 on that ^^^^

The only upside I saw to the OEM were power fold/power telescope and since I move my mirrors three times a year I could not justify the extra $300 to $600 for me not to move my carcass a couple times a year.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

Besides the clarity the only other concern I have is stability. That is the one other thing I noticed in aftermarket mirrors is that they tend to shake allot while driving down the road. While OEM normally are rock solid some aftermarket mirrors tend to be shaky.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Besides the clarity the only other concern I have is stability. That is the one other thing I noticed in aftermarket mirrors is that they tend to shake allot while driving down the road. While OEM normally are rock solid some aftermarket mirrors tend to be shaky.
Man I cant stand a shaky mirror!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts

My old Chevy 1 ton had those huge outrigger style West Coast style mirrors and they shook even when the truck was parked. These '08+ trailer mirrors seem pretty stable to me, I think the little bit of vibration they do have is actually comming from the doors, I haven't done the door seal mod yet. I can get a little movement on my doors by hand and think the door seal mod will cut that down or eliminate it, the doors do give me a bit of rattle on rough roads. I spend a lot of time looking at these mirrors with the towing I do and these are the best tow mirrors I have used yet.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I had the same concerns, and after reading what others were writing in the SD forum (yes, I left the EX reservation) I actually mulled it over for about three months (because I only tow three~ times a year) it is a huge difference in visibility with both mirrors.

No problems with stability either, just as good as OEM, just less currency out of pocket.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I only paid about $50 more (than the popular after market ones) for the OEM's I have. Found one at a swap meet and the other via fleabay. They take some getting used to as its quite a large difference and seems to catch my eye a bit. I dont know if Im admiring my new mirrors or actually using it as intended. ha

Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive a 2009 F450 for work everyday with these mirrors and I honestly notice no difference between them and mine. Besides that the 450s are full power. They arw equally as stable, and same vibrations on the highway. If you can find an oem set for $360 then do it, but the 1a auto mirrors are excellent

Old 05-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I find many aftermarket (cheap) mirrors have a haze or are a bit blurry like the wide angle in the pic above
I'm a tad lost, which wide angle pic are you talking about?

I want 08+ mirrors for the X and see LOTS of people getting the aftermarket ones and praising them but I am still hesitant because of my experiences with aftermarket mirrors/headlights.
Are there any pics I can take of my mirrors for you? Close up? Driver perspective? Perhaps a vid?

Stewart

PS - Mine do not shake or vibrate any more than the OEM mirrors. I was very pleased because I feel the same way you do.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
nmlewis
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti Dipped the fender Flares and Mirror stems

The hardest part was tapping off the stuff.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/g/picture/964162

Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm a tad lost, which wide angle pic are you talking about?

Are there any pics I can take of my mirrors for you? Close up? Driver perspective? Perhaps a vid?

Stewart

PS - Mine do not shake or vibrate any more than the OEM mirrors. I was very pleased because I feel the same way you do.
He's talking about this post;
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - What did you do to the X today?

But I already explained the phenomenon, and when looking at them in the truck they will both have the same clarity. He was trying to compare the bottom mirror with the image quality of the top one...............can't be done with a camera shot.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
He was trying to compare the bottom mirror with the image quality of the top one...............can't be done with a camera shot.
Ahhh, ok, thanks Brent.

I thought he was comparing one picture to another picture, not the top mirror to the bottom mirror in the same pic.

Stewart

Old 05-21-2014, 05:44 PM
sr23
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent about four hours cleaning the brake dust off the rims with a toothbrush and McGuire rim cleaner. There's got to be a better way! Any suggestions?

Also, What product would you recommend to put the shine back on running boards, mud flaps, mirrors, etc?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?