Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Little known facts and why FTE is AWESOME!!!

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
A note about extinguishers, especially in cars.

If you have ever seen the retardant in an ABC extinguisher like that, it is a super fine powder...so find that it appears as smoke in the air when not under pressure. It's also kind of 'tacky' or sticky (get it on your clothes and you'll see).

Extinguishers like that are a bit tricky when exposed to vibrations. In our classes, we take a small clear glass jar 1/3rd full of retardant and we tilt it over on it's side...the retardant moves almost like water. We then tap it on a table 5 or 6 times. We can then tip that glass over and the retardant sticks on the side until it's past 90 degrees before it breaks loose.

The key to that little demonstration is that we remind our students that if you have an extinguiser that is exposed to vibrations, be sure to occasionally take it out, hold it upside down and slap the side a few times. The vibration of freeway driving over time can pack that retardant down so compact that it actually acts like it's solid - resulting in the extinguisher just shooting the compressed air with no retardant.

So, safety tip...every month or so take your extinguishers in your cars and trucks and tip them over and shake them up a bit to make sure that retardant is loose and able to be expelled. If you keep one under the sink (next to the dishwasher) or on the wall (next to the washer or dryer), do it every time you change your smoke detector batteries - just to be sure - ESPECIALLY if your extinguishers are old.
Thanks Robert, I did not know any of that, as I live in an Apartment they always do that tedious stuff for me...

Any newbies to our forum take note, THIS kind of information is why you are here, what I/you don't know, others do...

I would send you reps for this Robert, but I am still in Lockdown...

Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
hardRESET

Talking That would be cool...

Originally Posted by jasonodsky
You can get an LED upgrade bulb for it. Nite Ize makes one. I found mine at Harbor Freight Tools.

Wish I still had my old metal Mag Lite mounting clips. Those were nice. I have a hard time trusting the plastic ones to stand the test of time. Anybody got an old set layin' around that they want to part with?
Nothing comes up with Nite Ize at Harbor Frieght, got more information on that?

[EDIT]I found it at the niteize.com, but for $18.99 + $5.00, I can get a brand new Mag-Lite ST3D016 3-D Cell LED Flashlight designed with the LED already.[/EDIT]

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Extinguishers like that are a bit tricky when exposed to vibrations. In our classes, we take a small clear glass jar 1/3rd full of retardant and we tilt it over on it's side...the retardant moves almost like water. We then tap it on a table 5 or 6 times. We can then tip that glass over and the retardant sticks on the side until it's past 90 degrees before it breaks loose.

The key to that little demonstration is that we remind our students that if you have an extinguiser that is exposed to vibrations, be sure to occasionally take it out, hold it upside down and slap the side a few times. The vibration of freeway driving over time can pack that retardant down so compact that it actually acts like it's solid - resulting in the extinguisher just shooting the compressed air with no retardant.

So, safety tip...every month or so take your extinguishers in your cars and trucks and tip them over and shake them up a bit to make sure that retardant is loose and able to be expelled. If you keep one under the sink (next to the dishwasher) or on the wall (next to the washer or dryer), do it every time you change your smoke detector batteries - just to be sure - ESPECIALLY if your extinguishers are old.
That is some baddazz information Robert!

Gave me a reason to send you rep points!

Stewart

Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Muffler

Removed this ugly muffler and slaped a simple tailpipe.. Sounds great..

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That is some baddazz information Robert!

Gave me a reason to send you rep points!

Stewart

YAEAH!!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for buying me a falcon...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
18" rear wiper fits? i thought 16" was pushing it! good idea putting the extinguisher in with fords shoddy electrical

Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
just did a cupholder mod, im sick of being worried my drink is gonna fall out if i take a corner, now she fits in there nice and low.

Attached Images     
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 AM
G550_Capt
Freshman User
I got him for you hardRESET

Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
Well done Skip, that should do it, Gigger

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Excellent post and I'll hit you up when I can!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by b-uno
just did a cupholder mod, im sick of being worried my drink is gonna fall out if i take a corner, now she fits in there nice and low.
Nice job, !!!!!

I have to spread it some more before I hit you up again!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 AM
hardRESET

Exclamation Obvious Information...

Good Morning EX men...

Just an FYI for the Fire Extinguisher mounting...

It came with 2 bars of velcro to stick to whatever so it can stay there with the velcro. Well, the obvious happened, I did not think that it would stay, but it did stick on there with some pretty good sticking power, anyways it was on the floor this morning. Either I am going to try and use the velcro again assisted with screws, or take the velcro off and use the double sided tape on the entire vertical piece that would touch the side assisted with screws, (which is what I did with the Mag-Lite as well). I think the latter would look cleaner since it would eliminate the velcro "T bars" and leave just the vertical section.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hardRESET
Good Morning EX men...

Just an FYI for the Fire Extinguisher mounting...

It came with 2 bars of velcro to stick to whatever so it can stay there with the velcro. Well, the obvious happened, I did not think that it would stay, but it did stick on there with some pretty good sticking power, anyways it was on the floor this morning. Either I am going to try and use the velcro again assisted with screws, or take the velcro off and use the double sided tape on the entire vertical piece that would touch the side assisted with screws, (which is what I did with the Mag-Lite as well). I think the latter would look cleaner since it would eliminate the velcro "T bars" and leave just the vertical section.

This stuff will hold just about anything....Molded Hook Tape MVA #8

Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 AM
hardRESET

Exclamation Velcro good... adhesive bad...

Originally Posted by sddesigns
This stuff will hold just about anything....Molded Hook Tape MVA #8
ssdesigns, that was not the point of failure, it was the adhesive on the backside of it. The velcro stuck together very well and is very hard to separate. I even made sure that I cleaned the plastic off of the pillar since it had been cleaned and finished with Armour All before not making a very good surface to try and stick anything to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?