Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001

You frequently throw your assumptions around as fact.

Why else would smaller studs be used? Weight reduction?

I did this today, many claim it is good practice.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Glad you got it fixed, those sway bars will throw you around a lot on the back roads also.
Ya know I had it off for a couple days when I dropped that rear axle down to pull out those shims, and I did notice the same thing. Easier on the speed bumps, and especially in and out of the driveway when you are going over a the hump turning up and down one wheel at a time. At the same time though, I live in the roundabout capital of this country, and a roundabout (we got some big honking ones around me) at 30mph without it, is not fun. So I guess it's a trade off. To get to the interstate from my house it's about 11 miles, no matter how you go you have a minimum of 7 roundabouts and a maximum of 13 depending on your route. My EX has been helping me teach the "roundabout challenged" of this county NOT TO STOP at the entrance unless absolutely necessary to yield, the EX with the horn blaring behind them is a great motivator. And YOU don't go straight from the left lane of a 2 lane one. Ok that's my little roundabout idiot rant, carry on....

City of Carmel, IN : Roundabouts

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
When I hit bad pavement, it resonates pretty badly thru the truck.
Would this indicate bad shocks?
Steering is ok, there is no wandering.
This is on a 2wd, stock height.
I'm not sure. Maybe someone will chime in. All I know is my teeth rattle over bumps.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
When I hit bad pavement, it resonates pretty badly thru the truck.
Would this indicate bad shocks?
Steering is ok, there is no wandering.
This is on a 2wd, stock height.

Yes resonates is the description I would use, not just a bounce but you can feel a small bump jar the entire frame. Now what I don't know if just worn out stocks will make you feel that, mine were yanking against my suspension due to length. I would imagine if they are very worn you will get added bouncing and you will feel the impact more since the shock cannot absorb it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
Ya know I had it off for a couple days when I dropped that rear axle down to pull out those shims, and I did notice the same thing. Easier on the speed bumps, and especially in and out of the driveway when you are going over a the hump turning up and down one wheel at a time. At the same time though, I live in the roundabout capital of this country, and a roundabout (we got some big honking ones around me) at 30mph without it, is not fun. So I guess it's a trade off. To get to the interstate from my house it's about 11 miles, no matter how you go you have a minimum of 7 roundabouts and a maximum of 13 depending on your route. My EX has been helping me teach the "roundabout challenged" of this county NOT TO STOP at the entrance unless absolutely necessary to yield, the EX with the horn blaring behind them is a great motivator. And YOU don't go straight from the left lane of a 2 lane one. Ok that's my little roundabout idiot rant, carry on....

tell me about it! they have been installing them here for the last 5-9 years and more in the works. infact the wreck i had back in '09 when i rearended a Honda accord and totaled it..also putting a soft ball size dent in my then 2004 excursion. it all happened because she lady did not go when nothing was infront of her. i looked off to the left to see what would be coming at me and i looked back and she was still stopped! swerved onto the curb but i still pushed her trunk into the back seat. they would work great IF people knew how to use them!!!!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126

Here in California we have off ramps from the freeway and you can usually get right back on by going straight if needed and we have mini-roundabouts here and there sometimes when there are 5 or 6 streets coming into it and some are there with 4 streets just to look fancy I guess but I don't like them. Actually there are very few that I have seen.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
tell me about it! they have been installing them here for the last 5-9 years and more in the works. infact the wreck i had back in '09 when i rearended a Honda accord and totaled it..also putting a soft ball size dent in my then 2004 excursion. it all happened because she lady did not go when nothing was infront of her. i looked off to the left to see what would be coming at me and i looked back and she was still stopped! swerved onto the curb but i still pushed her trunk into the back seat. they would work great IF people knew how to use them!!!!

That wasn't her fault at all.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

Sometimes small diameter bolts are used because of a space limitation but if there is one here they made the wrong choice. Any good engineer should have known they couldn't use small bolts here.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

eh, debatable she had ALL THE ROOM in the world to go(no cars coming).. absolutely no reason to stop or stop and stay there for god sake. i looked away expecting like any decently smart human being she would GO. sadly she did not though(why i have no clue) and the excursion had a up close and personal meeting with her accord. yes i should have kept eyes on her..my fault. but she had no freaking reason to stop..the sign says yield! there were no cars coming..wtf!?!?!

shes not the only one to do this..i see it every day people stopping for no reason what so ever. the worst is when they stop in the roundabout! wtf?! once your in the roundabout you have the right of way.

like i said, they would be great IF people knew how to use them! some people need a light to tell them when to go(and alot have issues then even)

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Agreed, and slowing down would have been good.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Agreed, and slowing down would have been good.
i was on the brakes and only going about 10mph coming up on her, looked away and expected she would have moved. by the time i looked back and saw she had not moved. i had both feet on the brake pedal and jumped the curb on the left side i just had no room. by the time i hit her i was maybe doing 3-5 mph. crushed her tin can honda though!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
i was on the brakes and only going about 10mph coming up on her, looked away and expected she would have moved. by the time i looked back and saw she had not moved. i had both feet on the brake pedal and jumped the curb on the left side i just had no room. by the time i hit her i was maybe doing 3-5 mph. crushed her tin can honda though!
Looked away did you? That's why texting is so bad,......... not saying you do that.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
But they don't. I always approach them with the assumption the dude in front of me is going to stop, foot at the ready and hand close to the horn. Haven't hit anyone yet but all it would take is a glance in the wrong direction at the wrong second. But still your fault if you hit her from behind, unfortunately insurance companies don't consider "stupidity" as a at fault cause. The ones who really make me laugh are the ones who stop mid round a bout to wait for me when they see me approaching from a side (just stop in the middle of the round about being the courteous folks they are), the people behind them are screeching and blaring and I'm sure cussing like sailors. We have had them for 12+ years more every year and not a day goes by that I don't come across a ROBI as we call them. Round a Bout Idiot

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Looked away did you? That's why texting is so bad,......... not saying you do that.
i looked away to the left to see if any cars/trucks were coming into the roundabout thus to decide if i had to slow more/stop or keep going. by the time my line of sight looked back infront of me and i found her still sitting there...stopped. no phones,food,drinks..ect involved simply looking at traffic that could possibly be coming my way. btw there was no traffic. ugh.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts

That is some good stuff. Had a couple bottles of the same while cutting the grass today.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?