1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2002 Expedition "inaccurate fuel guage"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Rob Stewart
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Fuel gauge

Well I have swapped out the pump twice and still have that problem. Its been like this for the last year and a half. It would work and then go out and then work so I'm thinking its a short or maybe some kind of sensor along the line. Tomorrow I will call the local auto electric shop and ask them if they have encountered this. If not then out of anger I think I may have to have it rewired. So far this thread has had no useful feedback so I am hoping to fix that in the not so distant future. Will also be looking around other sites for info.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Rob Stewart
New User
Well I have swapped out the pump twice and still have that problem. Its been like this for the last year and a half. It would work and then go out and then work so I'm thinking its a short or maybe some kind of sensor along the line. Tomorrow I will call the local auto electric shop and ask them if they have encountered this. If not then out of anger I think I may have to have it rewired. So far this thread has had no useful feedback so I am hoping to fix that in the not so distant future. Will also be looking around other sites for info.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob Stewart
So far this thread has had no useful feedback so I am hoping to fix that in the not so distant future. Will also be looking around other sites for info.
Ooooo sarcasm on your first post, that should get you a lot of help...NOT.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sarcasm isn't the way to go...but to be honest id check all wire connections. Grounds and all, could even be the cluster. Did anyone check recalls?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Rob Stewart
New User
Sarcasm?

Its not sarcasm. Its fact that no one that has posted had been able to locate the problem and I hope to be able to soon so I can help the people who are going crazy with this strange problem. Sorry if you took it as such.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob Stewart
Well I have swapped out the pump twice and still have that problem. Its been like this for the last year and a half. It would work and then go out and then work.
Okay. I'm confused again.

This thread has to do with a 2002 Expy fuel gauge that doesn't indicate the correct fuel level.

Why did we swap out the fuel pump, twice!, on a 1999 Expy. Apparently the gauge on the 1999 indicates correctly, WHEN it works? Or is this gauge also inaccurate?

If the instrument cluster fails to receive the fuel level signal for over 33 seconds, the cluster moves the fuel level needle to E. If it subsequently receives the fuel level signal for more than 33 seconds, it will then move the needle to the correct position.

If you add less than 6 gallons of fuel to the tank, it can take up to 12 minutes to update the fuel level indicator.

Not sure of what all your symptons are - but did you closely inspect the connectors on the fuel pump to be sure none of the pins were retracted or spread? Could you find any place where that bundle of wires may have gotten pinched with the tank removal? Might be worth following that bundle up to the front of the vehicle, unplugging and repluging in each connector that it goes through to be sure they all have good contact and are crud free.

If you plan on fixing this problem yourself, we can try and put the instrument cluster (which contains its own microprocessor) into self test mode (similar to putting the Electronic HVAC control into self test mode) to see if the cluster has stored any DTCs, or you will need a scan tool that can read Ford specific DTCs and has two-way communication capability with the PCM so as to issue active commands to the PCM.

Here's hoping you find the problem.

Let us know what you have found!