Any good quality anti theft devices out there

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Fordby4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good quality anti theft devices out there

Hey guys,

My buddy got his 1977 Ford stolen a couple of years ago (RIP) in front of his house around 6am. Now that I am a proud owner of a 1979 Ford F350, I would like to keep it. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject. Maybe a low jack (GPS) system?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would suggest just disconnecting something like a few small wires under the hood... Solenoid?

I would just get a car alarm (any kind will do, but only if you're going to be near it at all times, otherwise it's useless for your purposes).

Disconnect the solenoid or create a way to disconnect the solenoid homehow so the vehicle won't start.

There are a few good tricks on here about fooling around with the distributor.

You should be aware that most theives aren't very intelligent to begin with because they need to steal to get something (money, a kick, etc...).

I wouldn't expect that most theives would know how to reconnect a solenoid or distributor (especially when it's dark out) because they like to keep concealed when stealing.

Search the forums or take a look around, I've seen some threads on anti-theft before.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Witty73
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one made by Smith and Wesson that seems to be pretty effective.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I plan to install four methods of security so a thief has work at stealing my truck:

1. A master kill switch with a removable key on an accessory panel inside the cab.
2. A small toggle or rocker switch under the dash that interrupts the start circuit.
3. A hood latch lock.
4. A battery disconnect terminal on the negative battery post.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Fordby4
Senior User
I like the thought, just to messy

Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
TexasTrash
Senior User
I got one of the locking hood latches (havent installed it yet), but if someone really wanted to get into one of these trucks it wouldnt be hard. I lock my doors and my tool box, i dont leave valuables in the cab and hope everythings still there when I come back.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witty73
I have one made by Smith and Wesson that seems to be pretty effective.
Hehe...we have the same system.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I plan to install four methods of security so a thief has work at stealing my truck:

1. A master kill switch with a removable key on an accessory panel inside the cab.
2. A small toggle or rocker switch under the dash that interrupts the start circuit.
3. A hood latch lock.
4. A battery disconnect terminal on the negative battery post.
Geez Louise...that seems like one heckuva nuisance and hassle to engage and disengage every time you get in and out of your truck.

Originally Posted by TexasTrash
I got one of the locking hood latches (havent installed it yet), but if someone really wanted to get into one of these trucks it wouldnt be hard. I lock my doors and my tool box, i dont leave valuables in the cab and hope everythings still there when I come back.
I agree...if someone really wants to break in to your truck, they will. Personally, I leave all my junk unlocked, because I'd rather just replace what was stolen than replace what was stolen and whateer damage was done to the rig in the process. Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions where I lock the doors as a deterrent where if anyone were trying to break in, there would be enough of a scene made others would see it...ie the WalMart parking lot.

That being said, my dad lived in an area where car theft was an issue...and he said he wired up an air compressor and train horn to go off as his alarm system. I dunno how he did it, but I figure that would get somebody's attention and make the would be thief go deaf in the process.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man
Geez Louise...that seems like one heckuva nuisance and hassle to engage and disengage every time you get in and out of your truck.

I wouldn't use all of them all of the time. I can choose the level of "protection" depending on where I am. At the house, I would likely only use the master kill and start circuit kill switch. If I need to secure the truck at base-camp for backpack trip, then all would be engaged.

Choices are good.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I wouldn't use all of them all of the time. I can choose the level of "protection" depending on where I am. At the house, I would likely only use the master kill and start circuit kill switch. If I need to secure the truck at base-camp for backpack trip, then all would be engaged.

Choices are good.
Couldn't agree more. I have to ask though, how would you create a "start circuit kill switch" without everyone knowing you're flipping a switch when they watch you start your vehicle?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
put a push button switch down on the floor up towards the firewall, above the factory dimmer switch. wire it through the starter so you have to push that button with your foot to start it.

easy to use every day, foils every theif trying to smash the steering column. sad fact though is that without a locking hood, anyone with a pair of jumper cables can get yoru truck running in 10 seconds, and with the vent windows, just about anyone can unlock your door and jump in the cab in about the same amount of time.

pickups won't ever be theif proof cause even if u lock the vent windows anyone can cut the rear seal out and be in your cab in seconds.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Or they hook up to it and tow or flat bed it away.

LoJack is expensive, but they aren't going to be keeping your rig.

I like the cut-off switches ideas.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
lojack is normally installed in one of only a couple places. If your truck is stolen by someone that knows what to look for they will not be deterred by the system. And it is quite expensive. Furthermore, its only used, generally, by cops in urban areas. If someone drives your truck out into the country (and lets be honest, most of us live there anyway) its not very effective.

As far as I'm concerned nothing will go further in protecting your truck than having a secure place to keep it.

Either that or shaving the door handles, removing the lock mechanism, and installing an air ride system that lets you lay it on the frame!

My strategy is just to jack it up so high that no one can get in it to steal it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They make a magnetic switch that you just pass your key over to energize or disconnect your igniton system. Can't recall where I seen it though. If I get a chance I'll google for it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Fordby4
Senior User
I just recieved a bid to install a Ravelco system for $500.00. He mentioned it would interupt the starter and fuel pump, if I wanted addition lock outs they could do that as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordby4
I just recieved a bid to install a Ravelco system for $500.00. He mentioned it would interupt the starter and fuel pump, if I wanted addition lock outs they could do that as well.
If the system is to be installed on a dentside it WON'T interrupt the fuel pump. All of the fuel pumps on these are mechanical not electric.
The only thing that would interrupt one of these is a BFH.

Quick Reply: Any good quality anti theft devices out there