1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Losing my clutch...

Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing my clutch...

So this is my first vehicle that is a manual (my family has others that I've driven, but I have never had my own), and so I'm not quite sure what the problem I'm experiencing is. It feels like the clutch is slipping.

If I give the car gas while driving, the rpms shoot up about 1.5-2k and then slowly coming down as the truck starts accelerating. Also on longer drives I can start to smell the clutch burning. If I'm downshifting, I can put in the clutch, downshift, let off the clutch and count out about 3-4 seconds before it actually engages.

But what's gotten me confused is I always thought that as your clutch wears out the pedal starts moving farther down to engage? I also have good pressure so I don't think it's low on fluid. BTW this is an M5OD.

And if I have to replace the clutch, I've never done it, I've heard that it's not terribly hard, but I have no idea, what do you guys think?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all be sure MC ajustment is correct. if yes, you have weaken pressure plate ore fullu worn clutch disk. anyway to change you have to drop the tranny. It is easier then to drop auto.

disconnect battery

the procedure is typical. remove DS, starter, disconnect clutch hose, remove rear x-member and temporary support tranny with jack. unbolt tranny and pull back then down.

remove pressure plate from flightwheel and U will see what is wrong. use new pressure plate and disk together, replace small centering bearing.

use centering tool to fit disk ore old input shaft of tranny.

inspect slave cyl. and bearing. if u see something wrong - replace. it will not be good to drop tranny one more time.

Search this Thread