Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Headers with Exhaust Provisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You'll see how bad the stock manifolds really are after you have a little time on the headers.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After much research and consideration I broke down and ordered a set of gibsons GP125S today... Knowing the issues with the exhaust studs I hated to spend 150-200 for studs nuts and gaskets to go back stock from ford and with my truck having EGR I decided on the gibson headers... I am hoping they get here quickly so I can get them on and have this exhaust issue corrected..

Any good tips for the install?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Got out this afternoon and sprayed all the fasteners with PB Blaster, I plan on letting it sit tomorrow and then reapplying Saturday and I have hopes of installing the new headers Sunday...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Saturday my new headers arrived so at about 10PM (when my young ones went to bed) I pulled the truck in the shop and went to work pulling it apart... I had planned on making a little video of the header install but only minutes after I got started the battery on my camera went dead and so did the idea...

with the wheels and fender wells removed I found I had 3 studs broke or atleast only three with missing nuts but after applying the socket I found 3 studs on the driver side broken and 5 on the passenger side... on the driver side I decided to drill out the first and us an easy out which was not so easy, I ruined several drill bits trying to drill the broken stud with very little progress but eventually I did get it out.. On the next I decided to weld a nut and I must say it is the only way to do it(almost to easy), needless to say I put the easyouts up and used the welder on the rest of the broken studs..

I also had issues with the egr tube, the nut broke at the fitting where it attaches to the manifold so I finished putting everything else together then and this morning called the local ford dealer and ordered a new fitting and tube(I would recommend checking this fitting before attempting the header install and if it breaks you can order it prior to tackling the task so the truck is not down for a few days like mine).. My new fitting and tube is suppose to be in tomorrow! I can't wait till it gets here so I can try out the truck with the new headers... The rest of my exhaust is stock(for now anyway) but I plan on making a before and after video just to see if there is any difference...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Went to the local dealer first thing this morning and picked up the new fitting and egr tube, came home and found I had to bend the tube slightly to get it to mount (it seems the header tube is turned a few degrees further toward the front of the truck than the original manifold was). After installing I fired the truck up, checked for leaks and then drove it a few miles to find it seemed a little torquer than before from a stand still take off (wants to spin more and rev slightly faster).. The truck also seems to have a slightly smoother exhaust tone at idle(keep in mind the rest of my exhaust is all stock)... I don't think it made the exhaust much louder but if it fixes the stud breaking issue I feel it is a very worthy mod so far..

The passenger side header is a little to close to the brake line and 4x4 vacuum lines for my comfort so I will be making a heat shield for them by the end of the week...

Any one need some good logs? lol

Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
So far loving the headers... Still need to make a heat shield for the passenger side brake line but all else is good to go.. I also have not been able to test and see if the milage has changed any yet but here is a little sound clip..

YouTube - Before and after Gibson Header install!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
How's you mount the camera to the bumper?

Sounds different afterwards, that's for sure...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
JamieMueller
Junior User
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
How's you mount the camera to the bumper?

Sounds different afterwards, that's for sure...
I use a GoPro HD (although this video is not HD I am having issues with my internet), it comes with many attachments to mount it basically anywhere but for this video I used the suction cup so I could move it around without hurting my truck...

Motorsport Racing On Board Camera: HD Motorsports HERO

Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Fordrverr
New User
Pinky I bought my banks headers about three months ago headers and y pipe comes with alll the parts to do it. I pulled my motor home in to install them and open the box they sent me non egr headers. Call banks and says my bad sent wrong part. they over night me the correct one. I asked the sales guy if they have shirts if I could get one. Says no we dont have shirts. If I spend 1,200$ I think a shirt would be a nice thing. I just got to drive my motor home yesterday because of the snow/salt on the roads do not notice much difference but The last time I drove the motor home was in November. I tow a 9,000# trailer racing in the summer should see some gain in the headers. and yes you can buy only what parts you need. The install was easy

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordrverr
Pinky I bought my banks headers about three months ago headers and y pipe comes with alll the parts to do it. I pulled my motor home in to install them and open the box they sent me non egr headers. Call banks and says my bad sent wrong part. they over night me the correct one. I asked the sales guy if they have shirts if I could get one. Says no we dont have shirts. If I spend 1,200$ I think a shirt would be a nice thing. I just got to drive my motor home yesterday because of the snow/salt on the roads do not notice much difference but The last time I drove the motor home was in November. I tow a 9,000# trailer racing in the summer should see some gain in the headers. and yes you can buy only what parts you need. The install was easy
Good to hear.