Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

i feel like an idiot.....

Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
3rdshiftDiscretion is starting off with a positive reputation.
i feel like an idiot.....

so im disassembling my second flathead of the month after getting my original flathead built. as i was removing the bottom end. i ran into a problem where the cylinder walls had so much ring groove i couldnt knock the pistons out the way they should come out so trying to improvise i took the crank off and tried pulling the pistons out the wrong way and realized they couldnt be removed that way . so instead of dealing with the problem and messing something up ( im 19) im deciding to send the block off to shop and have them remove the pistons for me. im going to need it bored out anyways. am i doing the right thing or am i really just an idiot. i feel stupid and cant think of any other way to do it. whats my options at this point. litterally the only thing that has to be removed it the pistons

Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Could you use a ridge reamer thingamabob.lol I think you know what I mean. Feeling like an idiot seems pretty normal to me, so don't let it get you down.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
I'm an idiot everyday. So I've been reminded from time to time. But if you have a brass drift or even a wood block you can whack them with a BFH.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by havi View Post
I'm an idiot everyday. So I've been reminded from time to time. But if you have a brass drift or even a wood block you can whack them with a BFH.
Lol, I was going suggest a crowbar at first but he's fairly new here and he might have thought I was an idiot

Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
I noticed you said you were 19 years old. Let me say this--the fact that you're working on an engine, making progress, and have enough sense to ask for help makes you a GENIUS compared to most 19 year olds I know nowadays. Good for you!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Old F1
Posting Guru
Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
You would have needed a ridge reamer but unless you are doing a lot of rebuilding better (and cheaper) to let the machine shop do it.

In my new behavior modification as recommended by management I might tactfully suggest that you might find a shop manual a valuable asset. (see thatís not hard is it?)

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
AutoZone loans ridge reamers out for free....

Piston Ridge Reamer | AutoZone.com

Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
im going to try the RR. and no hitting it with a BFH will just do alot of damage thats unneeded. i was so irritated that i couldnt get it out. ill try it in the morning.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
19!!?? bout time I see someone on this board that is close to my age. Im 16.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 3rdshiftDiscretion View Post
im going to try the RR. and no hitting it with a BFH will just do alot of damage thats unneeded. i was so irritated that i couldnt get it out. ill try it in the morning.
I won't argue that. Just that if the bore will be honed out .030" or so, and the pistons will need to be new for the bigger ID anyway, I just don't see what's saved? Not being arrogant here, just wondering.

Footnote: I'm used to starting with junk, not good blocks. And I remove the crank and knock them out the bottom. Most I deal with are rusty, so the block lays upside-down on the stand with MMO poured into the cylinder.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
u know i was thinking the same thing also. im going to need all new bearings, piston rods rings pistons. oil pump resivoir , crank is still good but going to bring it in to see if it needs machined. and thats just all bottom end stuff. top end im going to get new exhaust manifolds . everything will be sandblasted and painted. im doing it right this time. no half *** rebuild

Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1 View Post
19!!?? bout time I see someone on this board that is close to my age. Im 16.
have you done ure own rebuilds just wondering

Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
I should heed to my signature. I would use the ridge reamer (no sense on starting lazy habits), and take them out the top just in case things aren't too worn out. Why spend money you don't have to, I s'pose. Inspection of the block and bores will dictate the need for new parts/pistons, and if getting away with just a re-ring would save money. Now if the engine has been sitting outside for many years, things may be a bit rusty, and it's time to get tough, lol.

Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
and the bad thing is.... messing with these... i wouldnt trade it for anything. so much potential

Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
i too am impressed with the fact yer doing it yourself !!! it was the only way to do it when i was 19 as the " crate motor ' and all the easy way of doing things the wild wonderful world of the aftermarket has given us , wasn't quite what it is now . a ridge reamer isn't overly expensive , at least i hope not as mine has developed legs and walked , and with the spare flatty sitting i may want to play after all else is done , and anyway's tools period are a good investment . now you need to go find jeff and give him and his lady some incentive or mojo to get going on theirs again .................... although it is nice not being the only one with a "it should be easy to fix and get going" project in the garage ........................ hmmm brings back memories of my younger years and the amount of time i spent swapping or going through the drivline i just destroyed in the last race............................ oh and your gonna find out that old truck is way more fun than any tuner or new car you can buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.