6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Who sells the best quality #2 Diesel fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who sells the best quality #2 Diesel fuel?

I am a newbie diesel engine owner and I am just wondering who sells the best quality diesel fuel for heavy duty pickups? Unlike regular gasoline where the price is indicative of the quality and usually the more reputable stations have better quality fuel, does this also hold true for diesel fuel?

Where I live, the diesel prices vary as much as $0.35 a gallon from station to station. If all diesel is created equal, I am not gonna waste my money buying it from a "Premium" station.

Here is a list of the most common stations in my area and their current prices:

1. Maverik (like a Citgo ro 7-eleven) $2.86
2. Phillips 66 $2.91
3. Chevron $3.09
4. Shell $3.08
5. Flying J $2.97
6. Sinclair $3.11
7. Sinclair (B20 Bio-Diesel) $3.14

The only thing I have seen listed on the pumps are the disclaimer that they are ULSD and are 15ppm or less sulfer content. I haven't looked at the B-20 pumps yet but am not sure if I can run that in my truck or not (2010 6.4L) anyways so I haven't considered it.

Any advice or feedback from you fellow diesel owners would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do not use B-20 bio-diesel. Your engine is rated for B-5. As far as "best quality" goes, it's a crap shoot. Premium diesel fuels generally have more additives in them for lubricity, detergents for injectors, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that the cetane # is higher. Industry standard minimum cetane in the US is 40. Typical cetane #'s are 42-45. You won't see the sticker on the pump for cetane rating like the gas pump has for octane. God only knows why not. To put it in simple terms; No, it probably doesn't really matter which station you go to. Get the best price fuel and use your own fuel additive.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 AM
jshumadine
Junior User
Your best bet is to fill up with whatever station sells the most and therefore gets replinished the most frequently. What I have found with the differences in prices per gallon is prices change when they get a new load in. If prices drop and the station gets a new load, their prices will generally drop.

Gas stations that don't sell a lot of diesel are best to stay away from as they are likely to have water or debris in the fuel. Same is true with gas.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Joddy Moore
New User
Did you know the minimum Cetane for b-100 is 47 and most of it is 52-58?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
This motor is rated only for B-5 Bio. Don't burn it period. Unless you must.

I has no energy and will make your truck regen more.

Hard on the emissions stuff. Dirty.

Get your fuel from truck stops is good.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will stick with getting it from the cheaper stations as I know they sell quite a bit of it and out here in Idaho, it is so dry, we normally don't have to worry about water in the fuel. I might try supplementing it with some PM-22-A Cetane booster and see if it effects performance and/or regen frequencies.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
On a side note, can anyone tell me why Shell is $.20 a gallon higher than anyone else and has the same cetane rating as Diamond Shamrock? (Valero)

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Heavysledz
Junior User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
On a side note, can anyone tell me why Shell is $.20 a gallon higher than anyone else and has the same cetane rating as Diamond Shamrock? (Valero)
That is basically what I was asking.....sounds like the big names (i.e. Chevron, Mobil, Shell, etc....) can charge more because of the reputations of higher quality gasolines and people feel comfortable paying more for their diesel even though it sounds like it is all the same....

Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Heavysledz
That is basically what I was asking.....sounds like the big names (i.e. Chevron, Mobil, Shell, etc....) can charge more because of the reputations of higher quality gasolines and people feel comfortable paying more for their diesel even though it sounds like it is all the same....
I'm in Colorado and will never buy Diesel from King Soopers as there's not a high enough turnover. I'd rather buy it from the place I see all the other trucks getting theirs from...Diesel sitting grows bugs....I don't see how they charge what they do...They treat it like wine imo....

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
AGAPETUS
New User
I have noticed that some stations around me have signs up that say 50/50 blend, 70/20, 60/30. I was told that the 50/50 was best but not sure if that is true in the winter.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Guys - lots of opinions here . . . and mine is just another one. However I've been around diesel engines since I was a kid and dad bought his first "black smokin' stinkin' diesel" that he was never gonna buy. I currently own eleven diesels in various applications.

Here's my opinion then: Buy premium fuel if you can find it. Cenex Roadmaster XL is one of the best for on road apps. I've had mine tested at a Cetane of 47. It also has additives that help control black algae.

I've run plain #2 on the road. Some of that stuff almost looked like muddy water. Those engines needed injector and pump work much quicker than indentical ones that stayed at home and ran premium fuel.

True premium fuel is not #2 with additives. It cracks off a little higher on the refinery chain and is a D grade fuel. It is a cleaner fuel.

Now then, to the blends cited above: These are a mixture of either #2 or premium diesel to #1 diesel . The ratio of premium or #2 to #1 dictates the cloud points and gel points of the fuel. You should see these ratios only in very cold climates or in the winter time. In northern Kansas and Nebraska I believe 50/50, premium/#1 is the proper ratio for our climate. I've only seen a gel up once using this mixture and it was years ago @ -17 with a howling north wind.

I firmly believe is very critical to choose the proper fuel for a diesel, even more so than a gasoline engine. Failure to do so can create premature wear, gel problems in cold climates and even icing problems. If you do not know what your fuel is, have it tested and by all means run either Motorcraft Cetane Boost or Motorcraft Antigel w/Cetane Boost in it. If you're running a premium fuel, I don't believe Cetane Boost does much good. However you need to make sure you have it blended or protected properly in cold weather no matter what it is.

Caveat Emptor!!!! Let the buyer beware!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM
JunpoweR
New User
Great read and thanks for enlightening this new(bie) 6.7 owner on diesel fuels. I just filled up 22.235 gallons at Chevron Diesel #2 @ 4.199 = $93.36. I was about 1/3 tank left. My first fuel up ever!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by JunpoweR
Great read and thanks for enlightening this new(bie) 6.7 owner on diesel fuels. I just filled up 22.235 gallons at Chevron Diesel #2 @ 4.199 = $93.36. I was about 1/3 tank left. My first fuel up ever!
Congrat's to you

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
I know this is an old thread..but I am here on the west coast, ( Kaliforni-stan ) so I have never heard of a majority of fuels/ stations listed above.
I prefer Chevron in general for any type of fuel.
I drive to a certain Chevron station 8 miles away from home..why, because they sell a lot of diesel and many corporate diesel vehicles fuel there so I know they turn over fuel.
My truck seems to run better on Chevron vs Arco ( imagination ?? IDK ) I generally look for busy, Name brand stations, Shell, Chevron etc..It does cost more but I think the vaule and quality is there...compared to Arco/AM-PM or 7-11 stations.

I will go out of my way not to use a small independent station for my diesel needs.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In my area there is one Exxon station that normally has the best price for diesel, anywhere from $0.10-0.15/gal less that most of the other places. I do not the "Diesel is not an Exxon branded fuel" label on the pump (same at other Exxon stations), but have not had any problems with the fuel.

I do my 5k oil changes, 10k fuel filter changes, always use fuel additive (generally Motorcraft) and I do UOA on every oil change. I've also done a number of cross country trips where I'm sure I've had some bio-blend, but it has not shown up as any different in the UOAs.

The only thing that shows up in the UOAs is if I've had a period with a few interrupted DPF regens, as long as I let regens complete fuel dilution stays around 0.5% or less.

Quick Reply: Who sells the best quality #2 Diesel fuel?