Where can I buy a new propane tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
evojason
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I buy a new propane tank?

My truck - 1990 F-350 Crewcab 4x4 w/460 and E40D, dual fuel conversion from 1991. The set up looks like it needs some serious updating. I definately want to replace the little tank in the back ( about a 240km range) and or I would like a larger propane bottle to replace the existing front gas tank. Also my inspection sticker is on the windshield, which has a crack and I would like to replace it, but I doubt it would pass an inspection as the existing tank is very rusty. Where can I get a new tank from on Vancouver Island or with in a reasonable shipping range of Courtenay? Who does inspections in this area? I would like to replace the tank and fuel lines and then get it re-inspected.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not versed in Canadian rules but in the states as long as the tanks data tag is readable and there are no DEEP pits or gouges you can blast or sand the tank and repaint. That being said if you want a bigger tank start with your local LP fuel supplier (Ex Superior Propane) and thay can probaly help or direct you to someone who can
I know of one wholesale supplier and I think they have multi locations you might try them.
National Energy in Winnipeg (204) 632-0043

Good Luck

Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Elderstarr
Senior User
If it has a 250psi wp rating, it wont pass. A 312psi wp rating is what inspectors look for. 250 psi tanks needed recertification every 10 years and had to be sent away to do so. The presence of rust on the tank is at the inspectors discretion of whether it will pass or fail. The newer tanks are pretty thick and will withstand years of rust before failing.

Most shops will pass rusty tanks, mostly because it's so common here in BC, but you should still remove it and sandblast/paint it to stop the corrosion. I've only seen one tank fail in our shop due to wall of the tank becoming porous, and when that happens, you are likely to tell right away whats going on. They don't add the maleneosic for nothing... you'll smell it and hear a leak. The tanks don't blow apart as some people will have you believe, unless your valves aren't working as they should.

As for shops in your area... just phone a trustworthy mechanic and they'll point you in the right direction.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
evojason
New User
RE; replacement tank

I found the local shop here- Reids Automotive , and the old propane guru says he can sell and install a used 300 liter deck mount tank for 4-5 bills and he siad he would inspect my system for any problems that might exist eg.-rusty rear tank.

On another note, my truck wouldnt start one afternoon. I thought I was out of fuel. So I tried to transfer from a portable tank but it wouldnt take any fuel. After a few minutes of thought I remembered that there was a filter just before the mixer, I changed that $3 filter element and nearly doubled my power. Still takes a good 20 or 30 cranks in the morning to get the truck to start. After its started once though it fires up right away. I am assuming this is due to the propane re-condensing to liquid when the truck sits for a while?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
timraw
New User
propane tanks

As a CVIP (inspector), I have often installed used tanks.

The cheapest has been auto wreckers.

But if you want new in the lower mainland area try technocarb.com