1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air Line Repair Part #2L1Z-5B322-AA

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air Line Repair Part #2L1Z-5B322-AA

I've been having some minor issues with my air suspension ever since I got it running with a fresh, to me, engine.
The compressor would run a lot, on then off, in a minute or less it would do the same, repeatedly. Last week I made a trip to help a friend pick up a mil. spec. diesel K5 blazer, one heavy S.O.B. I aired up the suspension after hooking up the trailer and then shut it off for the trip. All was well all the way there and back. Yesterday I used the trailer again to pick up some equipment we bought and after loadig I turned the suspension on to level the trailer. All was well until I just after I turned the air compressor off. We were leaving to go home, only about 7 or 8 miles away when we heard a pop, we drove about 75 ft. in the lot and noticed the rear was down. I checked the air spring and it was dead soft so we travelled at a slow speed home and that was a pretty rough ride, but we made it with out cutting too many gouges in the asphalt.
Today I got to checking the suspension to find the problem and after checking everything under the car I went under the hood to check the solenoid and compressor, in case a line popped out of it. All was good there and as I was there and at my wits end I checked the connection near the steering column and there the problem was. There is a union there that connects to the rear air springs. We found that the union had broken into two pieces and of course let the air out of the rear springs. Had I not tried to air up my suspension it wouldn't have broken when it did . Fortunately we were close to home with a light load and made it home okay. I had to buy the part from my local stealership and they charged me $30.08 for what looks like it should cost abour $2 OR $3.00, but anyway the Navigator is back up as it should be. That might have been the problem all along with my air suspension leaking down or rather not letting the compressor shut off. I think it might be the cure and I didn't even have to take it to Lourdes for the water!
The $30.00 part is an obvious up grade piece as it is much thicker than the original and the part number is; 2L1Z-5B322-AA for those that need to replace theirs. It's only a 2 minute job to change and definately worth having in the glove box, just in case of an emergency. I'll be carrying a spare from now on as it is also needed incase an air line should ever break. Everybody knows that when you are on a trip and something breaks the nearest dealer won't have the parts so this is a part that eveybody should have in their glove box.