Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Point me to brake cylinders & bleeding threads

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Cabledude
Senior User
Cabledude is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Point me to brake cylinders & bleeding threads

I know I have seen some threads, and some mention of step by step for bleeding brakes. Not having much luck finding them at the moment.

I got all my new brake cylinders on the 54' F250 installed, cleaned up and painted brake parts and drums. Blew out all the lines. Pads were in good shape so left them. Took off the master cylinder and gave a light honing, seal etc. seemed ok, cleaned and put back together. Bled brakes today, believe I got all the air out. Brake pedel does not seem to have any pressure when I push it down. Readjusted the brakes, front pads are just making contact, backs are about half way on the adjusting mechanism but not dragging. Still the same.

Does it sound like fluid is just getting past the seal in the brake cylinder? It pushes fluid through the lines when I do the bleeding, but I would have expected resistance when I push down the brake pedel, even pumping does not seem to build up pressure.

Is a new master cylinder the likely fix?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I would guess if you feel good on the bleed, and that pumping has no effect, that the master is leaking fluid past the piston.. time for a replace..

I've never been successful repairing one myself..

Sam

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
If you have a bad master cylinder and cannot get any pressure at the pedal, I don't know how you could have successfully bled all of the air out of the system. If you have a good master cylinder and have no pressure at the pedal, you still have air in the system. If your shoes are adjusted so far from the drum that they're not making contact, you'll blow the wheel cylinders apart. You really need to address that, as well.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Cabledude
Senior User
Ok, took your advice, adjusted both rear wheel adjusters even more till the pads just started to drag slightly. Went ahead and did another bleed on all the brakes and darned if there wasn't still more air in the lines. (Gone through probably 2 qts of brake fluid, but I'm doing it myself so go figure) Imagine that, I have pressure at the brake pedal!!

Took it out for a trial run, I have brakes, too much in fact. The front right brake is grabbing... bad. I suspect one of 2 things, I have the adjuster set too tight, although I had both sides set so the pads were just starting to drag, or... that side had brake fluid leaking into the brake drum previous to fixing them, and got on the pads. That would probably cause those pads to grab, wouldn't it? After I hit the brakes numerous times, lightly, it seemed to get a little better. Do you think driving it more might wear off the film and get down to dryer pad?

I really was hoping not to have to spend for pads and turning the drums yet. I'd like people to be looking to admire the truck, not looking to see why the tire is sliding on the pavement.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM
55F250
Senior User
55F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Cabledude View Post
Ok, took your advice, adjusted both rear wheel adjusters even more till the pads just started to drag slightly. Went ahead and did another bleed on all the brakes and darned if there wasn't still more air in the lines. (Gone through probably 2 qts of brake fluid, but I'm doing it myself so go figure) Imagine that, I have pressure at the brake pedal!!

Took it out for a trial run, I have brakes, too much in fact. The front right brake is grabbing... bad. I suspect one of 2 things, I have the adjuster set too tight, although I had both sides set so the pads were just starting to drag, or... that side had brake fluid leaking into the brake drum previous to fixing them, and got on the pads. That would probably cause those pads to grab, wouldn't it? After I hit the brakes numerous times, lightly, it seemed to get a little better. Do you think driving it more might wear off the film and get down to dryer pad?

I really was hoping not to have to spend for pads and turning the drums yet. I'd like people to be looking to admire the truck, not looking to see why the tire is sliding on the pavement.
On my 1955 F-250 there are slots on the brake drums for checking clearance,being that there was no proportioning valve the front brakes needed to be adjusted closer than the rear, as far as fluid on brake shoes, I would replace them if they were saturated.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to behold
When I bleed brakes by myself I always do it backwards. I have an old squirt oil can (has a handle that pumps) and I use a small clear hose so I can see that I am not pumping air. The hose goes from the squirt can to the bleeder. I pump fluid from the bleeder back to the master cylinder until the air bubbles are gone. I start at the longest line and work my way to the shortest. It works every time.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Cabledude
Senior User
good to know if I have to do it again. I am guessing you have to keep taking some fluid out of the master to keep it from overflowing?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Walston
Posting Guru
Walston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to beholdWalston is a splendid one to behold
Yep, I use an old turkey baster to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.