Sponsored by:

are all broncos rusted out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
buck_
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are all broncos rusted out?

I am looking for a 96 351 Bronco. I have looked at several over the last few weeks, going hundreds of miles from home, only to find they have major rust problems. I'm not referring to what I would consider normal areas of rust either. On a 14 year old truck I would consider some rust over the wheel wells on the rear, bottom of the tail gate, and the bottoms of doors normal.

The ones I've looked at have major problems. Rear spring hangers & shackles rusted through to the point the springs look like they will break off soon. Radius arm brackets, rad core support rotted off frame, front spring shock mounting plate rotted and cracked between shock and spring. Rust holes through the bumpers. "Bed" braces underneath the tail gate rotted off down to the quarter panels. On one I could see the carpet from inside the rear wheel wells.

Are these trucks really that bad? Am I just having the worlds worst luck?

Oh yea, and the prices they want for these things is outrageous. Even after pointing out the fact of some major problems to one dealer, he still wanted almost $4000

So what gives on these trucks?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Take a trip out west and buy one here. There are a ton of completely rust-free Broncos on the road and for sale everywhere. I used to have (ugh) a beautiful 1990 EB Bronco that was completely rust-free. I bought it for $3500 about 5 years ago.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a run of odd luck honestly. Dealers will never "see" what you see with an iconic name like the Bronco. They now these trucks aren't made anymore and they know there is a serious group of enthusiasts out there seeking them out. They also hang up on the fact that they are technically full-size four-wheel-drive units and don't want to budge on what they consider "fair" in the pricing.

As for the rust factor, the typical Ford truck cancer will always plague these things. But your findings of suspension components at the end of their serviceable use is a bit annoying. I would say alarming but I don't know that this is typical. I have seen trucks newer than my own in worse shape both mechanically and cosmetically. But the fact that you seem to be finding these on a regular basis seems strange to me. I wasn't aware that W. VA climate was particularly hard on a vehicle in this way.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
buck_
Tuned
Just as an FYI I asked this in the F150 forum as well, being as they are so close to each other.

Originally Posted by greystreak92
I wasn't aware that W. VA climate was particularly hard on a vehicle in this way.
I have looked at them in 4 states, so it can't be just WV. I've been to Jersey, Ohio, PA, and of course WV.

Now I am not saying that every truck I've looked at has every symptom I've noted, but the vast majority of them have shared a lot of them.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
buck_
Tuned
Originally Posted by andym
Take a trip out west and buy one here. There are a ton of completely rust-free Broncos on the road and for sale everywhere.
I have really thought about it. Take some time off work and go look for one. But I don't know my way around out west, I don't think I could afford to travel like that to find one, and I have no one at home that could take of my dogs while I was gone. But again I have thought about it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
andym
Post Fiend
WV is probably the best state to look in. NJ, PA, and OH are some of the worst rustbelt states to shop in.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
AntiHero55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres one that sounds nice in VA...
96 bronco

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AntiHero55
Heres one that sounds nice in VA...
96 bronco
For $6500? Is he crazy?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
buck_
Tuned
Originally Posted by andym
For $6500? Is he crazy?
That's what I've said about a lot of asking prices.

One guy had a 96 under 100,000 miles, he was asking almost $12,000. Then got mad when I said something about book value being around 5 thousand.

I sent some E-mails off to FL & Ga. See if I get any response. I sent E-mail off to a couple of private sellers last week and never got anything back. Guess they don't really want to sell. LOL

Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by buck_
I sent E-mail off to a couple of private sellers last week and never got anything back. Guess they don't really want to sell. LOL
We love our rust buckets... Now try getting a K5 that hasn't dissintegrated yet .

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
buck_
Tuned
Originally Posted by Encho
We love our rust buckets... Now try getting a K5 that hasn't dissintegrated yet .
Oh no I'm not desperate enough to by a Chevy. Besides I need something to last through the entire winter, not just half of it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never seen a rusty Bronco here in Texas. In fact, seeing a rusty anything is really rare around here. If a rusty vehicle is seen, then it's not from around here.

I moved here from the midwest years ago. Looking under a 10 year old car, and seeing that it's underside is still painted was a new experience for me. I long ago gave up the rusty-rusting-or starting to rust vehicles I moved down here with. I gave up the snapping bolts, the rust trying to fall in the eyes, the every fastener is a challenge thing, that I lived with all those years. Don't miss it a bit

But A/C gets a real workout. And I really try to avoid doing any car work in the summer. Oh lawd it is too hot to be hanging over an engine or stuffed up under a dash!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
We just bought a '94 EB 5.8 with 138k on it for $3k. Only rust is a small blister on the RR fender lip and some very small blisters on the bottom outside edge of the tailgate where the paint looks to have been scratched. NONE of the typical Bronco/F150 rust. The inner fenders and underside look almost new. Lived out here its entire life, so no salt or moisture to start rust. All it needed was a new windshield and shocks.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
road_warri0r
New User
Originally Posted by buck_
That's what I've said about a lot of asking prices.

One guy had a 96 under 100,000 miles, he was asking almost $12,000. Then got mad when I said something about book value being around 5 thousand.

I sent some E-mails off to FL & Ga. See if I get any response. I sent E-mail off to a couple of private sellers last week and never got anything back. Guess they don't really want to sell. LOL
Buck, I have a 93 XLT, leather, 147K miles, zero rust in Ky, email me mtmaning@yahoo.com if you have interest

Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 AM
buck_
Tuned
Originally Posted by road_warri0r
Buck, I have a 93 XLT, leather, 147K miles, zero rust in Ky, email me mtmaning@yahoo.com if you have interest
I will keep it in mind. Right now I have my heart set on a 96 351. I want the mass air system.

Quick Reply: are all broncos rusted out?