Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where should auxillary tranny cooler be mounted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
mrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should auxillary tranny cooler be mounted?

I am contemplating adding an auxillary tranny cooler before leaving on trip later this week. My towing temps run in the mid 190's on flat terrain according to my scan gauge. My X does have a tranny cooler but it seems like it could use a little more help. For those of you who added a tranny cooler, did you mount it in front of the AC condenser? Any suggestions on a brand of cooler? I looked at the 6.0 diesel cooler but would like to find something a little less expensive.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect (but it's just a guess) that you could find another EX Tranny cooler at a local Salvage yard pretty cheap. You could then just "add" it above the existing cooler and "double" the capacity is a reasonable (and inexpensive) manner. You could use the existing 3/8 hoses and woudl require just a very short piece of 3/8 tranny hose (available at NAPA). The yards might have a 26 or 31 row cooler off a 6.0L for cheap as well.

I'm installing a new 31 row 6.0L cooler later this week that I picked up form e-bay for $250 delivered.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by TXSailor
I'm installing a new 31 row 6.0L cooler later this week that I picked up form e-bay for $250 delivered.
Don't waste your time or money with an auxiliary cooler...it's just more plumbing and makes things harder than they should be.

Instead, get yourself a 26 or 31 row 6.0 trans cooler...your trans will never overheat unless you're just absolutely overdoing it. My trans temps rarely exceed 150-170 and my trans LOVES that new, bigger cooler. Best of all, it's just a drop in mod that requires very little modification to work. Don't have a write-up, but I'm sure if you check around you'll find it...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
mrad
Senior User
Does the 6.0 cooler replace the existing cooler? How difficult is it to replace? Can you replace it without removing the bumper/condenser/radiator?

If I am understanding what you are saying, the 6.0 cooler would sit behind the AC condenser?

Mike

Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
It drops right into the factory location...how the install goes is beyond me.

Mine was put in as a result of an accident that destroyed the old V10 trans cooler I had...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 PM
mrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel

Instead, get yourself a 26 or 31 row 6.0 trans cooler...your trans will never overheat unless you're just absolutely overdoing it. My trans temps rarely exceed 150-170 and my trans LOVES that new, bigger cooler....
Is the 150-170 coming from a scan gauge or aftermarket tranny gauge getting a reading from the pan?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mrad
I am contemplating adding an auxillary tranny cooler before leaving on trip later this week. My towing temps run in the mid 190's on flat terrain according to my scan gauge. My X does have a tranny cooler but it seems like it could use a little more help. For those of you who added a tranny cooler, did you mount it in front of the AC condenser? Any suggestions on a brand of cooler? I looked at the 6.0 diesel cooler but would like to find something a little less expensive.
I've had very good results with the Hayden coolers sold at Advance Auto on 3 previous 6.2L diesel Chevy Blazers, one 6.2L Suburban and several cars. With the easy removal of the X grill they are easy to mount and you do want to mount it in FRONT of the AC condenser. Also, get a 10,000 lbs. to 20,000 lbs. cooler and be sure it is the last cooler the tranny fluid passes through before it returns to the tranny pan.

DSMMH

Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i get 160f from test port on autometer gauge

Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by mrad
Is the 150-170 coming from a scan gauge or aftermarket tranny gauge getting a reading from the pan?
From my SCT via the datalogger, which reads directly from the PCM, which reads from the trans temp sensor in the transmission. Very accurate...

Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
billman13
Freshman User
I did the 6.0 upgrade..... couldn't be happier.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
The install is very straight forward. There is a write up w/ pictures that I can send you (I copied it for somewhere on the net) . Just PM me. You do not have to remove the bumper or radiator, just loosen the Condenser mounting bolts for a little more working room.

It just replaces the existing cooler and uses the same mounting bouts, etc. not drilling, sheet metal work, etc. The only difference is the 6.0 cooler has 1/2 in hose while the EX has 3/8 in hose so you need to use reducing couplings or other fittings to match them up.

This cooler is behind the AC cooler.

D

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
6.0 Cooler install on 7.3 Super Duty

Here's the link to the write up:

This How to Install You're 6.0 Trans Cooler -My Detailed Write-UP - Powerstroke Nation

D

reps to the guys oin Powerstroke Nation (Many of whom are also here on FTE).

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
TXSailor
Senior User
Just finshed my 6.0 Cooler installation. Nothing serious but it did take about 2 1/2 hours. Ended up taking the Blocker Bar off for easier access to the bottom along with all the "rubber" coverings around the bottom and top of the radiator assembly.

Even with the AC condenser loose, gettng to the mounting bolts and gettng the new cooler down in the slot is an operation to be handled "gently". Lots of sharp edges.

Well worth the effort. Really keeps the Tranny cool!!!

D

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TXSailor
Well worth the effort. Really keeps the Tranny cool!!!

D
temp?????????????????

Old 07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Well from all appearance, it looks like temps run 20 to 25 degrees below where they were running but I have limited mileage experience to base that upon. It's been low 90's here and tranny temps show 60 to 70 degrees above that under normal loads/conditions. Those highway temps are typically 145 to 160.

Around town the temps are a bit higher 150 to 165 (this was the peak so far) with stop and go driving but sitting at traffic lights the tranny cools off much faster than it did.

Just sitting and idleing for a long period after mixed driving, it settles doiwn to 135 and stays there (again outside temps are 90+ but under 95).

Still trying to get the fluid level adjusted up slowly as I am on the "low side" of hot right now. Will report back after some towing time later next month.

An interesting side effect (which my be my imagination) is that the Engine oil temps seem a bit lower (not much maybe 5 to 6 degrees but there). I suspect it may be due to better air flow through the radiator as a result of the higher Tranny Cooler and less turbulance betwwen the AC Condensor and Intercooler. And perhaps the Tranny is "soaking" up a bit more of the engine heat- who knows.

D

Quick Reply: Where should auxillary tranny cooler be mounted?