Sponsored by:

Backup Sensors not Working - Light Always on

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by remix01
I have the same problem ,where is the speaker located?
Look behind the passenger side cargo area window. In the panel between the lift gate and the window you will see several little holes in the plastic panel that are not present on the drivers side. There it is!

DSMMH

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM
wakenup23v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip

I took the 2004 Excursion Powerstroke 6.0 in today for this reason (also no wiper fluid coming out in back but that's another thread) and found out my warranty expired. I extended it to 100k but thought it was more than 5 years. I have the same symptoms and even recall the speaker making a strange noise before it went out. Seem like there are some faulty speakers considers so many people having the same issue on just a speaker. $20 is even cheaper than the $50 deductible.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
joesnavigator
New User
Originally Posted by Hoop
The speaker worked fine until one day when the system stopped working completely and the "Off" light was on as soon as it was started.

I didn't think it was the sensors because that symptom is only an "Off" light when in reverse. Mine was always on. I had a buddy at the shop use the diagnostic tool and it said it was the speaker. If you have similar symptoms "Off" regardless of what gear, you may want to risk the 5 minutes and 20$ to replace it.
You stated the speaker location is it behind the plastic cover on the passenger side, my light will turn on and off when in park as soon as i go to reverse the switch illuminates off and no function/sound thanks for any help.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
joesnavigator
New User
Originally Posted by Hoop
The speaker worked fine until one day when the system stopped working completely and the "Off" light was on as soon as it was started.

I didn't think it was the sensors because that symptom is only an "Off" light when in reverse. Mine was always on. I had a buddy at the shop use the diagnostic tool and it said it was the speaker. If you have similar symptoms "Off" regardless of what gear, you may want to risk the 5 minutes and 20$ to replace it.
You stated the speaker location is it behind the plastic cover on the passenger side, my light will turn on and off when in park as soon as i go to reverse the switch illuminates off and no function/sound thanks for any help.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
joesnavigator
New User
Originally Posted by DSMMH
Look behind the passenger side cargo area window. In the panel between the lift gate and the window you will see several little holes in the plastic panel that are not present on the drivers side. There it is!

DSMMH
You stated the speaker location is it behind the plastic cover on the passenger side, my light will turn on and off when in park as soon as i go to reverse the switch illuminates off and no function/sound thanks for any help

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
after reading this i think mine is a sensor also. all 3 of my excursions had this but my '04 is the only one that worked lol

Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I have the same problem, most of the time anyway. Every once in a while this spring the system has actually worked correctly, but mostly does nothing. Now I have some ideas to look into! This site rocks!!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
flynnf
New User
I have a 2005 F250 Superduty Crew Cab with the same symptoms that just started recently. Light is always on Some time I can get the light of by pressing the switch several time, but as soon as I put the truck in reverse the light comes back imediatley.

Is the ths Switch, Speaker or Sensors that have issues?? Help.

Someon mentioned the speaker "is located at the right rear. inbetween the back window and the side window." Is this for all forads or for a particular model? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
joesnavigator
New User
navigator reverse sensor or speaker solution!

Turn key forward to accesory position not running put truck in reverse go to rear of vehicle and the sensors that are working you will feel a pulse or tick and can actually hear them slightly, by touching each one individually the one that does nothing is bad. This is how i fixed mine and now works great I am AWESOME mine was far left one that was bad no expensive tool needed good luck!!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat with the Excursion I bought recently. I need to hook up the AE scanner and see what the codes are, my light stays on constantly. I can get it to turn off by pressing the button a few times but it doesn't take long for it come come back on. This and the door ajar sensor on the rear window are driving me batty

Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Does AE have the capabilities to check the sensors?
Sure does Jim...... Here is what I have when I pulled the codes - 3 bad sensors.

C1704 right rear sensor circuit fault
C1706 left rear center sensor circuit fault
C1710 right rear center sensor circuit fault

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Does anyone know if the SCT tuner from 5Star has the capabilities to check the sensors and speaker for this?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
another ?, anyone know the part #'s for the back up sensors?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Got mine working again! Replaced the back up sensor speaker, Part #YC3Z 15K864 AA. $32.98. Located in the rear cargo area on the pass side between rear window and side window, very easy to get to and change.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Ruhg123
New User
READ THIS POST!!!!!

Thank God I found this string on back up sensors! All of your tips helped me from spending $200 on a new module. I didn't even need a new speaker, I just cleaned it off and VIOLA! Working Back up system again!

Just to make it easier on everyone else, I am going to list everything that I learned from multiple threads on multiple sites. It took me hours to find all of the pertinant info.

Sensors:

It seems that if your back up sensor is not working, ie, the OFF button stays lit constantly, the most common cause is the sensors. If you can afford it, go to Ford, pay for a scan, and replace the sensor that they tell you is bad. It's not a bad idea to check all the plugs and wiring of each sensor first.
If you want to self diagnose, put parking brake on, turn ignition on (DO NOT START) and put in reverse. Check each sensor by touching or listening carefully. You should hear clicking on each one. If any don't click, check connections. If ok, probably a bad sensor. (thanks for this advice by the way, big time saver!)

Module:
On 2005 F250 (probably all the trucks) is found on the PASSENGER side foot well, WAY up in the dashboard behind the glove box. You have to remove the plastic cover down by your feet, and look WAY up the back of the glove box. I had NO access through the glove box, as the AC condensor was in the way. The module is obvious as it has a small speaker looking thing on it. It is held in by 2 plastic clips which need a clip remover and some time to remove. Once removed, undo the two plugs and remove.
On Excursions, it is in the rear side panel.

Most likely, your module is fine! Again, scan by Ford if you can, but if not, look at the speaker. Mine was cruddy and had built up an accumulation of magnetic gravel that seemed to be gumming it up. It just removed it, cleaned it, and tested it with a 9V battery. After messing with it, it worked! They are really cheesy, and seem to break a lot. The modules are about $200. The speaker is only $20-25 and more likely to be broken. Here are the part numbers for the module and the speaker. Hopefully this saves some of you some hard earned money and time!

Good luck!

Parking Aid Module (PAM):
Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Speaker assembly:
Tousley Ford Parts Depot
Ford part number: YC3Z15K864AA

Quick Reply: Backup Sensors not Working - Light Always on