1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a lift kit - '06 F250 6.0L 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shopping for a lift kit - '06 F250 6.0L 4WD

I'm shopping around for a lift kit so that I can put some bigger tires under my truck. I came across a kit from "Ready Lift" that's half the price of any other kit out there. Has anyone here installed one of these kits? What do you think of it?

Here's a link to the kit I'm looking at http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c.../LKS/69-2517CP

Got pictures of your finished product?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't waiste my time with that kit. I just put a Fabtech 4 inch lift on my 01 2wd F250. You get what you pay for. Spend a little more money and do it right. Here is a link for you to check out.

6" Basic System w/ Performance Shocks - 2005-07 Ford F250 4WD w/o Factory Overload 4WD

Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You found a basic top hat spacer/rear block/ trac bar relocation kit. It'll work for what it says it'll do, which is give you a 2" lift. You'll clear 34s, maybe 35s with the right backspacing on the wheels, but you won't fit 37s with that kit.

I used a BDS 2" lower spacer, no trac bar bracket, and stock f350 blocks on my truck. Total cost was about $350 with only front shocks.

When it comes to coil spacers, they're all basically identical. When you start talking replacement springs, money talks and you get what you pay for.

What are your exact goals for the truck? Tire size, a stuffed look or suspension travel. Looks or performance, etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
What are your exact goals for the truck? Tire size, a stuffed look or suspension travel. Looks or performance, etc.
I want to fill in some of the stock void area in the wheel wells and I want it to look good. I pull a boat during the summer, but other than that, she doesn't get any heavy duty use for towing or off-road.

I don't know what wheel/tire combination yet. I see you're using Nitto Grapplers. I've been looking at those as well.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by allingeneral
I want to fill in some of the stock void area in the wheel wells and I want it to look good. I pull a boat during the summer, but other than that, she doesn't get any heavy duty use for towing or off-road.
What stock size of tires did you have? I had 265/70R17s and they looked like golf cart tires under a SD. You could just stuff in a 33-34" tire and it'll fill the wheel well up fine, especially if you have 17" or 18" rims, and there's no lift needed. If you decide to go with a 2" kit, you're gonna want at least 35s to fill in the wheel well, otherwise you're back to square one with having a void you don't want. The problem with going over a 35" tire is that once you start talking tires that are 12.5" wide or wider, factory wheels go out of the picture in a hurry, and new wheels significantly add to the cost of lifting the truck (like doubling the cost of simply leveling it).

I see you're using Nitto Grapplers. I've been looking at those as well.
Don't buy the Trail grapplers if you want to tow anything at all, they're burning fast just under the weight of the truck. Nittos are notorious for short tread life (even though some guys will swear they get 60k out of a set), but really, any true MT tire that spends its life on pavement under an 8000# truck won't last long.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
What stock size of tires did you have? I had 265/70R17s and they looked like golf cart tires under a SD. You could just stuff in a 33-34" tire and it'll fill the wheel well up fine, especially if you have 17" or 18" rims, and there's no lift needed. If you decide to go with a 2" kit, you're gonna want at least 35s to fill in the wheel well, otherwise you're back to square one with having a void you don't want. The problem with going over a 35" tire is that once you start talking tires that are 12.5" wide or wider, factory wheels go out of the picture in a hurry, and new wheels significantly add to the cost of lifting the truck (like doubling the cost of simply leveling it).

Don't buy the Trail grapplers if you want to tow anything at all, they're burning fast just under the weight of the truck. Nittos are notorious for short tread life (even though some guys will swear they get 60k out of a set), but really, any true MT tire that spends its life on pavement under an 8000# truck won't last long.

THANK YOU!!!! I have been on the fence about these tires and I love the look of them and the sizes available but am familiar with Nittos rep as far as wear goes.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
What stock size of tires did you have? I had 265/70R17s and they looked like golf cart tires under a SD.
Same here - stock 265/70R17 looks out of proportion to the rest of the truck imho.

You could just stuff in a 33-34" tire and it'll fill the wheel well up fine, especially if you have 17" or 18" rims, and there's no lift needed.
A good thought that I have been considering. I was actually considering some LT285/75R17 tires for this application. They're about 33.8 inches in diameter.

If you decide to go with a 2" kit, you're gonna want at least 35s to fill in the wheel well, otherwise you're back to square one with having a void you don't want. The problem with going over a 35" tire is that once you start talking tires that are 12.5" wide or wider, factory wheels go out of the picture in a hurry, and new wheels significantly add to the cost of lifting the truck (like doubling the cost of simply leveling it).
Another set of good points. I don't want to buy new wheels. I *need* new tires. I've been trying to convince myself that since I need new tires, I may as well beef my rig up a little bit. Maybe I should just stick the the 34's and go on with it for now.

Thanks for the feedback on the Nitto tires. This information makes me begin to lean toward more of an LT street tread instead of the more aggressive MT tread.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
THANK YOU!!!! I have been on the fence about these tires and I love the look of them and the sizes available but am familiar with Nittos rep as far as wear goes.
Don't get me wrong, they're pretty sweet as an MT tire. Since BFG doesn't make the old style KM anymore, to get that classic type of pattern you're kinda stuck with only a few choices, and even fewer name brand choices. Plus 34x12 isn't a very popular size, especially on an 18" wheel. I'd buy these tires again tomorrow if I had to, but I'm still keeping my old 17" wheels around.
A good thought that I have been considering. I was actually considering some LT285/75R17 tires for this application. They're about 33.8 inches in diameter.
My stock 17s were 7.5" wide, I assume yours were too. 285mm should fit fine on those wheels, but you might have to watch your unloaded air pressures, especially on the rear axle, to make sure you aren't running down the middle of the tread.
Thanks for the feedback on the Nitto tires. This information makes me begin to lean toward more of an LT street tread instead of the more aggressive MT tread.
Don't let me sway you away from an MT tire, I just want to make sure you don't expect an MT tire to last and handle like a Goodyear Silent Armor ProGrade on pavement. I'm think these tires are awesome, and I'd gladly buy a new set, but I knew about the wear issues going in and didn't have high hopes at ALL.

There are some nice looking MTs from Toyo and Mickey Thompson that are almost like A/T tires, and ProComp's Xtreme A/Ts are almost an MT tire. You should look at ProComps Xtreme A/Ts or M/Ts, I had the A/Ts once and really liked them.