Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Good Diesel shop in Worcester County?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good Diesel shop in Worcester County?

Anyone know of a good diesel shop in Worcester County? Our 2005 6.0 is now out of warranty and I'd like to find someone who really knows what they're doing. Any suggestions?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 AM
c4barnes
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given the luck I've been having, my only suggestion is to start a diesel repair shop!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
I agree.

We recently took our truck to a diesel shop in Auburn, MA and paid them $200 to diagnose why it was running poorly. They told us it needed 2 injectors and an EGR valve, which would cost a total of $1400.00 to repair.

We werently totally comfortable with them so we took the truck to another shop that is authorized to perform DOT inspections and that does a high volume of fleet diesel work. They initially confirmed the first diagnosis, but then came back two days later and changed their conclusions. The new diagnosis, based on a Ford OEM scan tool, was that the injectors and EGR were fine, but the turbo needed a rebuild. The price jumped up to $2600, but it took over a week to get that from them. All this time, the truck was sitting in their parking lot for what was supposed to have been a one-day fix.

Almost two weeks after they got the truck, I went to the shop so the son of the owners could show me that the turbo was damaged and so he could recommend that we replace it. So the price has now gone up to $2800 and the truck will need to be there for several more days.

Finally, two weeks after we gave them the truck, we got it back with a new turbo. Unfortunately, I don't drive the truck enough to know for sure but it feels to me like it doesn't have the power it had before the whole thing started. I'm having our store installer drive it tonight and tomorrow to see what he thinks.

The whole experience was a complete circus. The repair shop missed every commitment they made to us and always had an excuse. Even at the end, when they knew we were furious with them, they reneged on the commitment to deliver the truck back to us freshly washed and without us having to free someone up to get it. Instead, they didn't wash the truck and they brought it to us only when we agreed to free someone up to give the driver a ride back to the shop. After two weeks and $2800, they couldn't even shake a second person loose for the 4.5 mile ride between their shop and ours!

But they did send someone over to the store two hours before we got the truck back looking for payment. Never again...

Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
c4barnes
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's insane. Just curious - how did they "show" you that the turbo was damaged? Did they pull it, have boost numbers?

I have basically the same rant. I know good shops are out there, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
CTYankee
Mountain Pass
They pulled the turbo out and had it disassembled on a bench. I could see the damage to the vanes and noted that there were no color variations to suggest fresh damage. In the end, we got a successful repair (I think), but the failure to meet their commitments and the poor communication all along the way was absolutely horrendous.