Sponsored by: Moser

Retro fit A/C kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Retro fit A/C kits?

I just came back from a 2100 mile road trip with my 74 F350 ramp truck, hauling my 85 Mustang Stock Eliminator race car from BC Canada, to race in Sonoma California. Much of the trip was over 100 degree F, (107 in Redding CA), and all that driving in my non A/C equipped truck just about wiped me out! So, if I want to do more of these long trips in the summer, it means that I want A/C. I could either look for an A/C truck in a wrecking yard, and strip out all the A/C stuff, & hope that all the 35 + year old stuff is useable, buy a different truck, or my first choice, see if anybody makes an aftermarket A/C kit. My truck has a 390 in it. Anybody have any experiances with a retrofit A/C unit for these trucks? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
How about a $99 110v and attach it to your passenger window?

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rory428
I just came back from a 2100 mile road trip with my 74 F350 ramp truck, hauling my 85 Mustang Stock Eliminator race car from BC Canada, to race in Sonoma California. Much of the trip was over 100 degree F, (107 in Redding CA), and all that driving in my non A/C equipped truck just about wiped me out! So, if I want to do more of these long trips in the summer, it means that I want A/C. ...............Thanks.
Welcome to California! Yea, last weekend was a bit hot.. but it was a dry heat. Not that nasty humidity that makes me chafe all over... Oh back to the topic of this thread...

Classic Auto Air makes a system for bumpsides. Being that bumps and dents have alot similarities, their kit, perhaps with a little modification, might fit our models. Give'em a call.

1967 - 1972 Ford Pickup Truck Air Conditioning System | 67 - 72 Ford Pickup Truck AC

Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NAP has an aftermarket set made for our trucks. Or you can choose an under the dash evaporator kit.

1973 - 1979 Ford F-Series Truck A/C Only System - Ford AC Kits for Trucks

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
THANKS jsutton, you rock! .. and less expensive compared to the others companies. Sweeeeeeet.

..... where's my credit card?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutton
NAP has an aftermarket set made for our trucks. Or you can choose an under the dash evaporator kit.

1973 - 1979 Ford F-Series Truck A/C Only System - Ford AC Kits for Trucks
Thats the one I plan on going with if I ever do my truck, which I'd like to. But I think tehey have another kit with the defrost and heat, I'd do that one.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Thanks jsutton, that looks exactly like what I need.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 AM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory A/C installation

After much consideration, I have decided to strip the factory A/C from a truck in a wrecking yard. I have a 1977 Ford F250 4WD with the factory high output heater. After 5 years of living in Arizona, I can't handle going another summer without A/C.
First off let me assure you that this is not the cheapest route or the least involved. Pretty much every aspect of putting in factory A/C is more difficult and expensive. The reason I have chosen to go this route is strictly a personal choice because I think the factory A/C is superior to aftermarket.
I am about 1/3 into the project now and have been documenting every step. If there are any of you interested in undertaking this job as well, let me know and I will give you enough information to get started. Again, there is an incredible amount of work involved.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 AM
fenderjazz
New User
Please keep in touch, I'd appreciate it if you could share idea's, photos. I'm in Phoenix and after one summer I am done. My truck used to have a/c, but the 460 engine has headers and I need to find a way to mount the compressor. What size motor do you have? Thanks, Roy

Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrippingCobras
The reason I have chosen to go this route is strictly a personal choice because I think the factory A/C is superior to aftermarket.
Do you think that maybe the new aftermarket kits might have higher efficiency condensors, evaporators and compressors vs what was available in the 70s? I don't know for sure but it seems to me that the new kits would be superior. Thoughts? I want to add AC to my truck as well so I'd like to be as informed as possible.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Nathan Plemons
Elder User
Remember that the factory AC is going to be designed to utilize R-12. An aftermarket kit will likely be designed to use R-134a. An R-134a system is not quite as efficient as R-12 so you need to over-size the system to get the same cooling capacity. As such I would favor an aftermarket system in the hopes that it will work better.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Factory A/C still uses aftermarket parts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Remember that the factory AC is going to be designed to utilize R-12. An aftermarket kit will likely be designed to use R-134a. An R-134a system is not quite as efficient as R-12 so you need to over-size the system to get the same cooling capacity. As such I would favor an aftermarket system in the hopes that it will work better.
I wouldn't get caught up in that whole debate. I have heard nothing but bad things about aftermarket systems. Factory A/C units were designed by the car manufacturer and I assure you that they had more resources at there disposal than any of the aftermarket companies.

That being said, I am not concerned with using all factory parts. The things that can be upgraded are primarily the condensor and the compressor. After looking at the size of the factory evaporator core, I think aftermarket would have a hard time doing any better given the reduced size of the units.

I have plenty of photo's of the project so far as well as video, but I can't seem to post it to this forum. Anyone have any insight on this issue? The heater housing is by far the most complicated part of this project and it is nearing completion. I had to get creative in the refurbishing process. People are going to get lost if I can't fully document my work.

Picture = 1000 words.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Factory vs Aftermarket

Originally Posted by Blown 331
Do you think that maybe the new aftermarket kits might have higher efficiency condensors, evaporators and compressors vs what was available in the 70s? I don't know for sure but it seems to me that the new kits would be superior. Thoughts? I want to add AC to my truck as well so I'd like to be as informed as possible.
There is no reason that you can't put in a larger condensor, or pump. I choose to go with the factory style condensor simply to avoid cutting and/or drilling new holes in the truck. My truck didn't have A/C, but it still has the factory holes where the condensor and drier should be mounted. I saw many other options that would work, but considering how much other work there is I decided against mounting a larger unit.

I am not going to use the York style pump that would have been factory. They are expensive and ugly to boot. I am going to use one of the Sanden style compressors, and will probably buy it from Nostalgic Air Parts. Primarily, I don't like their system because of the controls (or lack there of). 1973 - 1979 Ford F-Series Truck A/C Only System - Ford AC Kits for Trucks I am sure that there are work arounds, but again I want this appear like factory A/C. I didn't really care for the second option either, 1973 - 1979 F-Series Truck Heat A/C & Defrost - Ford AC Kits for Trucks but it is an easier option than going for factory.

If you want to simplify the project and still have a factory look, you can go this route. Complete Kit Ford Truck - Select an Evaporator - Ford AC Kits for Trucks

I purchased a factory style condensor that is R134a compatible from NAPA. In most cases the parts were cheaper, but the manufacturer is Sprectra Premium. I was also able to find a new evaporator core, though it wasn't easy.

There are a ton of other things to consider when making your decision, as almost everyone wants to go with R134a, most components have to be purchased new whether you decide on factory, aftermarket, or my choice which is a comination of both. You will not be able to reuse hoses, an R12 compressor, or drier/accumulator. The oils in the older compressors are not compatible with R134a. I called many of the manufacturers and every company that I spoke with said there current products are compatible with both R12 and R134a.

I will be resuming the project in a few days. Again, I would post some pictures/videos if this forum would allow it.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When I redid my Factory A/C last year I used a combination of factory parts, aftermarket parts, and other make/model parts. I also converted it to R134. I bought new hoses, drier, and expansion valve. I reused my York compressor and factory evaporator, both flushed a few times to make sure all mineral oil was out of them. I used the condenser from a 91 Isuzu also flushed. I put 10oz of Ester oil in the compressor, pulled a vacuum, and charged it up. It's been working just fine. As a matter of fact a few weeks ago I put the gauges on it just to make sure it still had static pressure, and it did.

EDIT: When my York goes out then I'm going to switch to a sanden style also.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 PM
John in AZ
Senior User
I am glad for the links. I have now found where I am going to get my ac for the crew!
Thanks
John

Quick Reply: Retro fit A/C kits?