Sponsored by: Moser

Retro fit A/C kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Stockboy93
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutton
NAP has an aftermarket set made for our trucks. Or you can choose an under the dash evaporator kit.

1973 - 1979 Ford F-Series Truck A/C Only System - Ford AC Kits for Trucks
have you or anyone else on here ever ordered from them? i read some reviews and they were all bad about shipping and customer service, "or lack there of"..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Unless you have a cast iron stomache, go with an aftermarket system.

I have not used them, but I assure you that trying to go with factory A/C is a nightmare. Unless you are ready to punch a huge hole on you firewall, spend hours (if not days) collecting and modifying parts, getting started in a vacuum hose and electrical nightmare, then go with an aftermarket system. I am waiting for it to cool down a little (it was 118 Degrees yesterday) before starting my frame off restoration. The factory A/C cabs are different than non A/C cabs. In order for me to do the job right, everything is going to need to be stripped from the cab.
I have heard people complaining about the aftermarket kits not fitting very well. Guess what, niether do the replacement parts for factory A/C. The aftermarket kits are by far cheaper as well. If I wasn't going for a show quality truck, I would not have chose the OEM route.

Good luck, just remember this; most of the people complaining are complaining about a truck that is air conditioned, not partially completed.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Stockboy93
have you or anyone else on here ever ordered from them? i read some reviews and they were all bad about shipping and customer service, "or lack there of"..
I'm switching to the Sanden style compressor on my project (I've always disliked the York, heavy, expensive and lots of vibration). I ordered the compressor and adapter bracket from NAP and didn't have any problems with them.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by TrippingCobras
After much consideration, I have decided to strip the factory A/C from a truck in a wrecking yard.
... etc ...
I am about 1/3 into the project now and have been documenting every step. If there are any of you interested in undertaking this job as well, let me know and I will give you enough information to get started. Again, there is an incredible amount of work involved.
That's a great offer!

BT-DT in 1986. It wasn't so easy to photo and log every step then unless you stopped working wand wanted to pile up $$$ in picture developing and then .... no where to post it.

Bought my '77 in May '86 and after a short while decided she's a keeper, and that she needed AC. I stripped a JY '73 with AC and a '79 Crew cab with AC (it had the 400 and mopunts). Only had to purchase a new condenser and reciever/drier. I did the conversion one week I was working midnight shift, I'ld come home at 6am, sleep 8, get up at 2 and then work on the truck until light faded. At 10 I was back on the road to work.

I used template made from cardboard for big hole in firewall and screw holes locating to other features. Taped the cardboard on the engine side opf the '79's firewall after I stripped it, then crawled into pass floor area and very carefully and with great detail, made my drawing from inside. Be sure and include features common to both the donor truck and your truck. Make precise measurements. Used a good grade of cardboard.

Cutouts in dash were easier with nibbler. Get speedo cluster too! I sealed firewall to AC with silicone. I used '73 heater core (still in it) and controls ("Air Conditioning" script).

Still have her and she's my last vehicle with R-12, she could use a shot though. My '92 T-Bird Sport has been changed over from R-12 and it will run you out of the car on Max AC so I'm thinking if the '77 stays, converting it.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
I'm switching to the Sanden style compressor on my project (I've always disliked the York, heavy, expensive and lots of vibration). I ordered the compressor and adapter bracket from NAP and didn't have any problems with them.
I was looking thru their site, and didn't anyrhing like that. I'd be interested in seeing the compressor conversion kit, and how well it fits. Looks pretty cramped where the York sits on dad's truck with the 390, but I got lots of room on my 300. Just need a dual belt pully for the 300 (dealer added A/C)

BTW, both these trucks were converted to R134a over 10 years ago. Both would freeze you out of the cab on the hottest days.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
I was looking thru their site, and didn't anyrhing like that. I'd be interested in seeing the compressor conversion kit, and how well it fits. Looks pretty cramped where the York sits on dad's truck with the 390, but I got lots of room on my 300.
RW-The '85 parts truck has a compressor, without it's clutch, on it and the system is still sealed. Dunno what you are looking for, but......

Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tbear853
That's a great offer!

BT-DT in 1986. It wasn't so easy to photo and log every step then unless you stopped working wand wanted to pile up $$$ in picture developing and then .... no where to post it.

Bought my '77 in May '86 and after a short while decided she's a keeper, and that she needed AC. I stripped a JY '73 with AC and a '79 Crew cab with AC (it had the 400 and mopunts). Only had to purchase a new condenser and reciever/drier. I did the conversion one week I was working midnight shift, I'ld come home at 6am, sleep 8, get up at 2 and then work on the truck until light faded. At 10 I was back on the road to work.

I used template made from cardboard for big hole in firewall and screw holes locating to other features. Taped the cardboard on the engine side opf the '79's firewall after I stripped it, then crawled into pass floor area and very carefully and with great detail, made my drawing from inside. Be sure and include features common to both the donor truck and your truck. Make precise measurements. Used a good grade of cardboard.

Cutouts in dash were easier with nibbler. Get speedo cluster too! I sealed firewall to AC with silicone. I used '73 heater core (still in it) and controls ("Air Conditioning" script).

I have plenty of video and photo documentation so far. But I got real sick for a few months and everything got put on hold. I stripped all of the A/C components from another truck, even at that, in order to do everything right, there were more than a few surprises.
The new heater core was aluminum and didn't quite fit, all of the foam had to be modified/fabricated. The replacement condensor and accumulator (OEM) don't quite fit together properly and have to be modified slightly. You need to cut a hole in the radiator support for the hoses. The hoses need to be custom made for the new style sanden compressor. All plastic parts were stripped, scrubbed and repainted. Internal components sand blasted and painted.
It WILL get done, but I've been holding out cutting into the cab and stripping the interior until the frame off restoration, which is going to start in a few months.
I'm just saying that aftermarket doesn't have nearly as many headaches associated with it.

NostalgicsAirParts video, same year and model truck as I have YouTube - ‪1977 Ford F-250 Air conditioning by Nostalgic Air Parts.mp4‬‏
One kit, one source $899.

I have bought parts from NAPA, a salvage yard, Nostalgic, ACKits.Com, etc, so far everything has had some type of problem to deal with. I'm in over $800 and haven't even got the compressor yet.

Used Parts, Housing Etc.
Driven Auto Parts (Pulled myself) $300

Expansion valve
LMC Truck 43-0762 $29.95
Napa TEM 207307 $21.49
A/C Condenser
LMC Truck 43-0326 $179.95
Napa MO 1K600501 $174.00 Spectra
Heater Core
LMC Truck 43-2530 $29.95
Napa NHC 6603000 $26.79 Spectra
Blower Motor
LMC Truck 43.2434 $54.95
Napa BK 6551089 $31.99
A/C Dryer
LMC Truck 43-0360 $39.95
Napa TEM 208483 $25.49
Heater Valve
LMC Truck 43-0665 $19.95
Napa BK 6601200 $16.99
Vacuum check valve
LMC Truck 43-5260 $11.95

Evaporator Core (This one was tough to find)
27-33663 - Evaporator Core ACKits.Com $157.44 + Shipping

It will be posted to YouTube when I am finished, you are 100% right, it isn't easy to document and photo everything.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
smokeyb97
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job with the video and a clean looking install. I noticed there seems to be a lot of difference in the space where the York compressor used to mount and the new condensor seems to be larger than o.e.m. . Just my opinion, but that's the best looking two-tone paint scheme. Are you planning on using it during your restoration?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I noticed right away, there's a LOT more room under the hood with this kit, compared to factory A/C....
Also looks like that style compressor could be used on the 390 in dad's truck. As far as I know, the york is still factory, and still works. Just thinking about going to something a bit more modern with less drag and vibration, should the york ever need replaced......
As far as the video, it says it's a 77 F250, but has the 78/79 style grill, and I didn't think the crewcab was offered in anything but F350......
Love the color combo though. Looks just like dad's 74...... Aside from the "racetrack" lower trim.
Name:  SDC10861.jpg
Views: 3797
Size:  136.8 KB

Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I have plenty of video and photo documentation so far. But I got real sick for a few months and everything got put on hold. I stripped all of the A/C components from another truck, even at that, in order to do everything right, there were more than a few surprises.
.. etc ...
You need to cut a hole in the radiator support for the hoses.
... etc ...
I have bought parts from NAPA, a salvage yard, Nostalgic, ACKits.Com, etc, so far everything has had some type of problem to deal with. I'm in over $800 and haven't even got the compressor yet.
... etc ...
Wow, times have changed. Yeah, I forgot about the hole in the radiator support for the hoses, my '77 had a round large hole with a filler panel in place that was held on with two screws, drivers side about 4-5 inches from side of radiator. Hole is near 2" diameter. The hoses from the donor truck had a large rubber grommett and retainer which stayed on the two lines. I removed filler and ran hoses through and used the same screws to secure the retainer on the engine side of rad support like it came off the donor truck. The retainer catches a lip of the grommett between the retainer and rad support. (I was out today 07-06-11 looking at truck and thought to look close, it's a factory punched hole there)

I was lucky, the '73's guts were a total freebie before it went to the crusher, the '79 I paid the owner $100 and he let me have anything I wanted. Both systems were still charged as well, one caught me by surprise! Glad I had sunglasses on.

Only new parts I used were the condenser and rec/drier .... and freon. Did chase a leak, turned out it was a spot weld on the new rec/drier .... so we went back to NAPA and got a replacement. R-12 was like $3 a can in 1986.

I know I was well under $300 total.

In the current market, I can't get enough for the old girl to make it worth while selling her. Looks like I'll be keeping her alongside the '07 after all so conversion to R-134A is likely "the plan". I don't like the noise of the compressor at idle, but then conversion looks like more $$$ than worth for the few times I'ld use it?

Hope you get better!

Last edited by tbear853; 07-06-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Looked at truck, recall the hole now.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM
TrippingCobras
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
As far as the video, it says it's a 77 F250, but has the 78/79 style grill, and I didn't think the crewcab was offered in anything but F350......
Love the color combo though. Looks just like dad's 74...... Aside from the "racetrack" lower trim.
Why do people bag on the race track trim? Mine has it, I think it looks good, but mine isn't two tone either.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Why do people bag on the race track trim? Mine has it, I think it looks good, but mine isn't two tone either.
I wasn't saying anything bad about it, just that it was different than what's on dad's truck.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Steel Toy
Senior User
Great post !
My 79 came with factory air but I have no wish to scrounge for R12 and the York compressor was needing an overhaul. Plan is to go with R134a system including Sanden compressor as well. Although I've got other stuff to do first, I was still thinking about what to do on the parts. thanks for those links.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stockboy93
Just to answer this, Yes I have ordered from NAP and I thought the customer service was great. One of the fittings I received had stripped threads. I called and they quickly sent me a new one without any issue. I plan on ordering from them again when I need something.

Quick Reply: Retro fit A/C kits?