2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 Misfire, word from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
AspenF150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Misfire, word from the dealer

Ok recently my truck developed a misfire under hard acceleration. Went to pass a truck on the highway, put the hammer down and not what I was expecting. Bucking, hesitating etc...

Took it to the dealer next day(under ext. warranty) They checked it out, confirmed the misfire and got the bad news today.

Dealer tells me the Throttle Body needs replaced. Dealer also tells me that the throttle position sensor is built right into the throttle body and is not replaceable. Hence why a whole new TB assembly.

Here's the catch, It's not covered under warranty and supposedly $650 and change later, this will fix the misfire.

Is the TPS actually built right into the TB on these trucks? Given the cost, I plan on doing this myself if possible. Any insight, info or whatever you guys got, I'd appreciate! Thanks in advance

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming that the tech at the dealership diagnosed the misfire correctly, the throttle body doesn't look like there is much that can be serviced other than cleaning it. You can always check the parts department to see if the TPS is serviceable by itself. But Ford is making their vehicles less and less owner friendly from a service standpoint all the time. They want the vehicles to be disposable after a few years. It's called planned obsolescence. One way that goal can be accomplished is to make them more expensive to service and repair. Henry Ford is rolling over in his grave. That is not the business model under which Ford Motor Company operated during his tenure as CEO.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I dont know what the tech is smoking but a bad TB won't cause a misfire. did they tell you what codes are stored? It prob needs a set of plugs.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
I dont know what the tech is smoking but a bad TB won't cause a misfire. did they tell you what codes are stored? It prob needs a set of plugs.
What he Said!!

Take the truck for a ride until you can repeat the symptom. Then drive to someone other than any dealer or Ford garage (they tie into the same records database and can pull up the history on your VIN) and have all the codes read. Then diagnose the codes against each other. That is where I would start.
Remember each code is only a read of the sensor involved. i.e.; an O2 sensor is not necessarily bad when called out because the entire fuel/air mixture, combustion chamber and etc. affect the readings given by the O2 sensor. You have to apply some diagnostic procedures with the scanned information.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
the T.B. is serviced as a whole assembly, no servicable parts. I have seen the T.B. cause many problems. The T.B. is all electronic and if things don't happen the way the computer want them to the computer stars making changes(misfire). As far as making cars and trucks harded to work on is just not true. EPA and customer demand require certain changes. everybody wants more power and better mpg. I am sure if they could have done it with a 5.8L they would have done it and saved them millions of dollars. Look at GM there motors look nothing like they used to. parts are not interchagible from old to new.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They could have done the same thing with the 5.8L, they just didn't want to because. My old 95 5.8L got just as good fuel mileage as does my 5.4L 06. It wouldn't pull quite as well in a headwind, but that could have been the engine management system as well as lower power.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
They could have done the same thing with the 5.8L, they just didn't want to because. My old 95 5.8L got just as good fuel mileage as does my 5.4L 06. It wouldn't pull quite as well in a headwind, but that could have been the engine management system as well as lower power.
lets not forget that the 06 is well over 1k heavier and has more emmisions controls than the 95. yeah sure the 5.8 would proble run better than it did with modern controls. but would it pass todays emission standards and how much better would it be if you add 1000 lbs

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
EBTDM
Senior User

Guys, remember that Aspen is looking for some assistance if not just solace.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by EBTDM

Guys, remember that Aspen is looking for some assistance if not just solace.
the dealer MIGHT be right. $650 is a bit high considdering thr part is only $280. we sell 2-3 a month. sorry i got a bit off track it drives me nut when people gripe about ford and dealers. there are some very bad deals out there(used to work at one)but not all are bad, and if didn't make all of these changes that people gripe about they wouldn"t sell another truck.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Can you provide any better description of the symptoms? When you say mis-fire do mean it is missing or do you hear an audible sound as well? Do you have the codes? I'm curious what diagnostic routines were run to come up with a bad throttle body. Generally speaking, mis-fire under hard acceleration is usually caused by a bad plug or injector or COP or catalytic converter (usually caused by a bad injector stuck in the open position). If you can get some codes to us we can be of more help and let you know if the dealer recommendation is correct. In any case make sure you speak with the service manager about the possibility of they're fix not correcting the problem. Will they re-diagnose and refund your money? Also, before accepting the vehicle back after repair go for a test drive with your service advisor BEFORE paying them any money!

I had a bad mis-fire in my wifes '06 Expy 5.4L and it took the dealer three attempts to finally get it fixed correctly (bad injector resulting in cat melting).

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Then drive to someone other than any dealer or Ford garage (they tie into the same records database and can pull up the history on your VIN)
This is only true for warranty repairs. Also, where do you think he should go EBDTM, a Kia shop? Stick with a good dealer and you will save money in the long run. Most service depts reward good customers with discounts and courtesy vehicles. Even if they are right about the TB the price is way too high. 650-280 is 370 for labor which is prob 3-3.5 hrs. Diagnosis should be 1.5hr at the most and 0.5 to replace the TB.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM
rodinator1234
New User
My truck did the exact same thing the a couple days before I bought it. I got it from a friend of mine, he took it in to a shop locally where he lived. I have the reciept he gave it to me for warranty, replace the throttle body, new part and labor was $430.00 shop charge for the part was $280.00. This truck was low miles to 50k when I got it he had only driven it 4k in the last year. Does your truck sit alot? Have you thought about cleaning the TB?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM
EBTDM
Senior User
This is only true for warranty repairs. Also, where do you think he should go EBDTM, a Kia shop? Stick with a good dealer and you will save money in the long run. Most service depts reward good customers with discounts and courtesy vehicles. Even if they are right about the TB the price is way too high. 650-280 is 370 for labor which is prob 3-3.5 hrs. Diagnosis should be 1.5hr at the most and 0.5 to replace the TB.
Direct attack! Wow! Sensitive much. I could go into your accusations but then this is not about us Mr. Ford TECH. A Ford garage (for tires) told me about ball joints (I replaced) that were diagnosed at a dealership for safety inspection. NO warranty work involved!
The advice was to go to an independent to have his codes read and diagnosed, INDEPENDATLY, get it.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:18 AM
bhcd7
New User
I know im new here but i have to agree with EBTDM. You can pretty much go to any parts store that i know of and the will have code reader that you can use for free! Once he has the code all he has to do is post them here and I'm sure that between all the people that have answered his post so far that he will figure out whats wrong, and what he needs to do to fix it.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 AM
AspenF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by bridge
Can you provide any better description of the symptoms? When you say mis-fire do mean it is missing or do you hear an audible sound as well? Do you have the codes? I'm curious what diagnostic routines were run to come up with a bad throttle body. Generally speaking, mis-fire under hard acceleration is usually caused by a bad plug or injector or COP or catalytic converter (usually caused by a bad injector stuck in the open position). If you can get some codes to us we can be of more help and let you know if the dealer recommendation is correct. In any case make sure you speak with the service manager about the possibility of they're fix not correcting the problem. Will they re-diagnose and refund your money? Also, before accepting the vehicle back after repair go for a test drive with your service advisor BEFORE paying them any money!

I had a bad mis-fire in my wifes '06 Expy 5.4L and it took the dealer three attempts to finally get it fixed correctly (bad injector resulting in cat melting).
Hi bridge,

The service advisor said he was able to make the truck misfire long enough for the code reader to tell him what it was. He didn't tell me the exact code number, just the TPS sensor is bad. That's when he also explained the whole TPS sensor being incooperated into the TB.

I can hear the misfire and feel it. More feeling rather than audible.

70f100longbed, I do wonder how a TPS would cause a misfire? Not like it has anything to do with how the engine runs, just tells the computer what position the throttle is at correct?

I can try and put a set of plugs and wires on it, possibly a new fuel filter while I'm at it. See how that turns out I have a hard time accepting it MIGHT need new plugs considering the truck only has 42K miles on it and I don't rag on it.

As far as warranty stuff goes, talking to some of my coworkers. One of them told me it's not covered under warranty because the TB is not a "lubricated" part. I've never heard of such a thing but I can only take his word for it.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Misfire, word from the dealer