1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F1 on Kijiji... Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM
markthompson999
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'51 F1 on Kijiji... Good Deal?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here... looks like there's a bunch of knowledgeable guys and I need some opinions!

Saw this truck advertised on Kijiji for $4500... has a 440 Mopar engine with double tunnel ram and a pair edelbrock 650cfm carbs, but no tranny. I would rather stick with a Ford engine so I asked if he would sell just the body, which he said he would for "around $1800".

Went and looked at the truck today, and it doesn't look quite as good in person as it does in these pics, but it's still in pretty good shape. It looks like he painted right over some surface rust in all the usual locations, but there are no spots on the body where it's rusted right through. The body and frame are both straight, but the tailgate is gone and the bed of the box is pretty much non-existant. He has most of the trim in pieces in a wheelbarrow in his shed. The interior is pretty much untouched - there are no guages for the dash and the seats in the pic have not been bolted down, they're just sitting there in the cab (out of a '91 RamCharger, same as the rims). In the attached pics it's a piece of carpet hanging out the door onto the running boards. Most of the glass needs to be replaced as well. The brakes and suspension are all stock.

I think he'll come down to $1200-1300... if I can, is the body worth this much? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attached Images    
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
At $1200, it's getting close to realistic, imho. But a lot of it depends on what part of the country, or world, you're in, and how prevelant a decent truck is in your neighborhood. If you're in the north east, where finding actual metal on these trucks still is a rarity, it's going to be worth more than one out west or southwest. If it was going to be in my driveway, it would need to be selling as a $500 parts truck. I've passed on (or missed out on, however you want to look at it) nicer, more complete trucks for less.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well to be honest with you, you need to think about how much it will cost you to get it back into running condition and if you are willing to see the project through. IMO this is a project that never got finished and he is now trying to unload it off on someone else. Is this an actual ford frame of the same year as the cab, has the front suspension been messed with, these are just a few things to think about. Now if it is something you want then I say got for it but if you think its to much work to mess with trying to undo things PO's have done I would look for a differant truck.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just went and had a look at the pic on kijiji.
the motor looks like it is leaning to the left a little,maybe they didnt go the install right????if not i would wonder how much care was put in to other things on the build???although the body looks pretty straight this may not be worth you time and money.just my 2 cents.