1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F250 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Iowa55F250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 F250 Build

I'm new to the site and these questions have probably been answered 1000 times but I've found it hard to search for the answers. I'm looking to upgrade the chassis, motor, and transmission but I want more of a stock look. The truck will see home improvement and landscape duty. It may also pull a small horse trailer some day.

Can I maintain something close to a F250 stock ride height with a heidts Superide? I guess I assume it would fit on a F250 frame. I also have plans for a ford 9 inch rear so I will be getting ride of the 8 lug hubs. How do I pick leaf springs to match the ride height of the front? Considering the truck will be used for some light duty work and possibly pulling a horse trailer, what kind of bolt pattern should I install on the hubs? I've seen some discussion on this but don't have a handle on the benefits of the different patterns other than wheel availability. I rolled the wheel and tire from my Tundra up to the stock ford wheel and tire and was surprised to see they were about the same height. The Tundra's tires are P275/65R18s. I assume if the truck gets lowered something in this size range would not work. What is the largest wheel/tire combination I can use with a heidts Superide and not have clearance issues? Thanks for the help. The chassis is step 1. I'm thinking Ford Racing 427 and a 5 speed but that is another thread. Does it pay to keep the stock drive train, front end, and rear end after these mods? The truck is in good shape. Mainly surface rust issues. I should probably restore it to original but want the benefits of modern technology.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Most of us are building our trucks with modern upgrades so they can be used more.

Couldn't tell you on the heidts Superide, I'm sure someone on here that knows suspension set ups better will be able to help out with all of that.

What are you looking to mainly use your truck for? You mentioned some work and towing, but are you planning it specifically for that or just for once and a while? Pretty much anything you do will be ok for light use, but with suspension upgrades let alone a Ford Racing 427 it sounds more like you want a truck that will go fast and hard rather than be a work horse, those are some serious parts for on the range. If you put in a 427 you will have to change out several things to be able to handle it, the rear axle should be upgraded as well as the suspension and chassis. Last thing you want to do is to floor it, have it hook up and twist your frame and blow up out your gears, lol. We have a couple members who have built some extreme stuff so they will be able to help you out.

My honest opinion about it though is once you go through everything for that setup, chances are you'll want it as a show truck rather than any sort of a work truck.

Love to see pictures if you get a chance!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Iowa55F250
New User
Thanks for the welcome. I don't plan to use the truck much for towing and home improvement duty but I want to have the option. I always planned on having a muscle car like a 442 or a Mustang. The F250 came along from my wife's side of the family. I realize we will be having some kids in the next couple of years and the basement needs to be finished so I see the F250 as my muscle car. I don't see it in the budget to restore the truck and get the muscle car so it's a muscle truck.

You brought up a good point about twisting the frame. I've wondered how much motor I can put in it without worrying about the frame.

How do you add pictures? Can't I attach them to the post? Do I need to start an album or upgrade my membership? Not used to forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Muscle truck it is! There are a lot of great options out there for power plants. The 427 is basically Ford's end all muscle engine, but something to consider if you'll be having kids is MPG. When you don't get much mpg, you don't spend much time driving it. An engine worth looking into that several others have put in is the 5.0 Coyote, makes 400+ hp without a super charger, makes way more with, and gets 20+ mpg. Just a thought, I'd never talk anyone out of a 427, just saying it's worth a look as they are selling it with the wiring harnesses and all you need so it's easy to swap into anything.

These old frames where actually designed to twist back and forth, the roads weren't the same back then, but boxing the frame and adding some cross braces will fix any issues, it's not a huge thing to fix when you're adding a lot of power, just something to remember. It's not like twisting a uni-body, like a Mustang or something. As far as what you can put through one of these trucks before doing that, I couldn't tell you, but someone on here will be able to. The big issue with power is what it will do if you're set up to have it hook into the ground, power that just burns tires and power that has tires that grip with it are two different monsters.

Pictures can be added in a couple ways, you don't need a premium membership to do it.

You can add an album and post from that or you can use something like Photobucket.com . You want the URL picture, or if it offers it what works better is the BB Code which has the IMG bracketed before and after the image URL, that will get it to not be a link but a picture on here. If it doesn't have the IMG code, in the reply section just click the little picture of the mountains that looks like this: then paste the URL code into that.

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy and Welcome, Glad to see another 250

first, location please, where are you from?

My Story:
I have a 53 F250 long bed, it's going to be a daily driver, so whatever you put a truck through today, thats what i want mine to do. I keeping the the original 8 lugs because everyone is to 5 lug and for safety, strength, looks, etc. I found a front disc kit that is getting good feed back, Ford F2 & F3, so keeping the stock front beam. For the rear i'm tracking down a Dana 70 to go dually, or a Dana 60 or 44, 1968-72, will work to, to keep the 8 lug. Then for the power plant I'm cramming a 4.9L 300 I6 in with a C6 trans, EFI exhaust manifolds, 2bbl intake, Good torque for pulling and good millage for driving is the goal.

So far that is what i"m going for, we'll see as long as murphy doesn't mess with me.

I didn't go with an IFS because, one its alot of money and fabrication, I building a truck not a car with a truck body.

There is a crap ton of info and knowledge in this place, so create a plan, lock your self in the closet with snacks for the night and read till your cross eyed.

Here are some links to get started:

Ford Six Performance Home/Index

Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-axle-or.html

Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

Weakest to Strongest Axles - Jp Magazine

Body Part Interchange Guide

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-85-f150.html

Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Bill Thunder
New User
Hey. I was sent to this thread to try to scrounge up some parts.

I have a 1954 F-250 that someone converted to 5 lug front discs and I am trying to change it back to 8 lug.

So if you want to sell the front hubs, please let me know.

Thanks!